Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thumbs up ISU Football

The ISU football staff is considering adding a full time team chaplain to deal with general "issues" associated with young athletes. Seems like a great idea. Wish I had one where I work as I supervise people with many outside of work "issues". If anyone questions this idea, keep this in mind. D-1 college athletes come from diverse cultural backgrounds with major big city issues, unlike what we mainstream Iowans deal with most of our lives.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 753
    Given: 3,026

Re: ISU Football

That's a really interesting idea. As you mention, the athletes come from diverse cultural background - a chaplain is generally Christian, aren't they? I wonder if it would be more a mentor/confidante, or religious leader?

That actually leads to another question - since it's a state school, would we have to have religious leaders for any requested sects, if it is a religiously-based role?

M 7/09

Prospect
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

Being in the Army and having dealt with a number of chaplains and just pastors in my regular civilian life, I have to say I think this is a great idea. The issue of different faiths and different denominations would be a problem though. Its great to have someone that you know you can go to talk to about your problems though, knowing that your superiors or in this case, the coaches, aren't going to find out if you don't want them to.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 256

So long as no one was 'required' to see them I'm all for it. I could see how many people would really enjoy having one around.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

A chaplain's a great idea: The concept behind a chaplain is religion non-specific; for folks not of the chaplain's faith, he can always "dial-a-rabbiormullah".

On the advice issue; unless one of your players worships Deveel or Cthuluh, most of the major religions hold to similar principles.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 225

I actually was at an FCA meeting this past Sunday eve where GC spoke of this very issue. It is an amazing idea, in fact he became passionate about the idea while DC'ing at Auburn. He discussed the Chaplain was an integral part of the programs success and helped the young men deal with life challenges.

GC mentioned that they have had challenges since stepping foot on campus with player personal issues that they wish they were better equipped to deal with. The Chaplain that they are hoping to hire(through private donations) spoke and is a solid football guy that was a hot strength coach that was called to ministry.

This has been approved by Pollard and is merely in the $$$ phase. Should be a great thing until someone is offended.

j

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Wouldn't this have been a great position for Dexter Green?

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    Should be a great thing until someone is offended.
    Lots of schools have chaplains for their football teams, and you rarely hear complaints about it. The only real complaint that someone could make is that the chaplain is a "government" employee. But if the funding is done all through private donations, then that argument wouldn't hold much water. I like seeing that Chizik has a plan to care for his players and build a team with some character. I hope they get the funding they need for this!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Auburn Chaplain, Chet Williams is Coach's finest recruiter in addition to being a fine Christian. Iowa State needs this type of individual.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,293
    Given: 633

Fantastic idea. I'd donate for that. I don't see it being a problem with different faiths either. The overall principles of most religions are similar, and a good spiritual leader would recognize the need to deal with each individual in a unique way. I have a feeling that the Register wouldn't like it, which makes it an even better idea.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    That's a really interesting idea. As you mention, the athletes come from diverse cultural background - a chaplain is generally Christian, aren't they? I wonder if it would be more a mentor/confidante, or religious leader?

That actually leads to another question - since it's a state school, would we have to have religious leaders for any requested sects, if it is a religiously-based role?
    Ok. What type of training would you need to hold this position? I do not think we need a psychologist, or a psychiatrist for gosh sakes. That type of person can be a can of worms, and scares the bejeebers out of both of me. Seriously, if a young person is devoutly religious (in a specific religion) then he probably doesn't need a chaplain, and doesn't really care what religion this person represents. There are many places of worship in Ames. Having a person that they can go to talk to in confidence is a great idea, an athlete in Ames is in a fishbowl, for sure. This would also be a great recruiting tool, I would let the world know that this chaplain exists, this person would be a great boon to public relations, if the right individual is hired.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 486

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    The Chaplain that they are hoping to hire(through private donations) spoke and is a solid football guy that was a hot strength coach that was called to ministry.
    A Chaplin that's also a S&C coach - wow. That makes 2 S&C coaches if this goes thru. Does Chizik know how to line them up... Twice as strong physically and strong spiritually - no one's gonna push us over this year!

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I know Mac had something similar. Pastor David Staff from the Ames Evangelical Free Church has been involved with the football team for a number of years. I went to church there many years ago and occassionally he would talk about his involvement with the team. I think he traveled with the team to all the games and was just generally available. I am guessing that was all volunteer. Mac did mention Pastor Staff's name during his resignation speech.

I think it is a great idea. 18-22 year old men need someone they can talk to and trust.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd have to say that the idea of having a "chaplain" bothers me some. I think that a counselor would be a great idea. However, as a public institution, not affiliated with an particular faith, I think that having someone with a religious background is questionable.

I would be afraid of the possibility of alienating members of the football team who practice a non-christian religion, or no religion at all. You don't want to have a member of the staff that can put a divide in team chemistry.

I'd love to hear in exactly what capacity this individual would be associated with the team. I definitely like the idea of a counselor.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

From some of the comments Gene has made his faith seems to be very important to him. I am all in favor!