Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

Re: Texas AD Talks of forming Longhorn TV Network

Quote Originally Posted by clonestar12 View Post
    ADs don`t decide on conference affiliations. Those decisions are made at the top of the organization.

You are right, UT is not going to the SEC. They would not be the dominant program,and the powers that be would never let that fly.
    Academically it makes no sense, Texas won't associate itself with a lot of the SEC schools. Athetically, why would Texas join the SEC, open up the recruiting grounds even more to those schools, and then have to compete with them when the SEC schools have lower academic standards? SEC doesn't offer Texas anything.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Incyte-That's a possibility too that could have good results, but I would think there would have to be a tv contract before teams like Utah, BYU, or Texas Christian would think about moving.
    I would have to believe that our non-ESPN contract is being negotiated now or will be soon. It's up at the end of 2011 I believe.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Q&A: Texas AD Dodds backs Big 12 but is open to change | College Sports News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Despite the talk of TV deals, do you think individual channels for specific schools remain an option?

I always thought that individual institution networks serve institutions better than the conference network. Texas people would rather be able to go to the Texas network and catch all of our sports and all of our events and all of our academic side rather than going to the conference network, where one-twelfth of the inventory will be Texas.
    LMFAO- this is hilarious. Miller at it again. I am sure he read the whole thing but coneviently ignored the question before the one he highlighted and posted. The question right before it mentions strength in numbers. Jon would want everyone to think that Texas is going to bolt and start their own network. It is completely possible that Texas is giving Fox a little wink, wink that Fox should get the Big 12/Pac 10 network. Then Texas gets both. They get a lucrative TV Deal and can have their university highllighted on Fox SW or maybe even Fox Texas.

Sorry, I repeated anything but it is obvious what Texas wants and it isn't their own TV deal. They want an Alliance deal and one that will highlight Texas. A little way for them to get their cake and eat it too.

It is also obvious what Miller is doing. He is so close minded and lives life with hok blinders on that he does not know how others think or work. Either tha or he is trying to stir the pot. IMO it is both with a heavy len on the first

Last edited by tazclone; 05-18-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    "Not at the table Carlos."

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Not in favor of the MWC, but ISU is a school that is small enough to be hung out to dry by a school like Texas. ISU would run the MWC.
    What a completely idiotic post. Seriously, you are a complete moron. ISU would run the MWC? Are you drunk? And I started to wonder why I don't read this site much anymore...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    Not a big deal, they already have weekly/daily Longhorn programming on FSN. If they want to implement their own exclusive network in addition to a B12/P10 Alliance Network, all the power to them. But I'm sure braindead sports talk radio hosts will make this a bigger deal than it needs to be.
    Miller can be read like a book. He can read a whole article and ignore 90% but pick out the 10% that fits his opinion. It is so predictable it is hilarious. I am not sure if he does it on purpose or is so arrogant and narrow minded that he doesn't get it.
    IMO- The fact that he leaves out that Texas already gets that with Fox SW shows he is clueless as to what goes on outside the little 11. That is commone with most little 11 people/talk radio host that I know or hear.

Texas could have both with the Pac 10 alliance. That will be one of the negotiating issues. Someone like Texas, who gets their $$$$, will still want theirs. And rightfully so. They have the TV sets, and the success.

Last edited by tazclone; 05-18-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 23

See I understand what you are saying, but why would anyone want to join the Big 12, you think Utah and BYU want to go from every game being on TV to half?

The Big 12 has a guaranteed BCS bid, which means that getting two teams into the BCS in the same year is a very realistic possibility (it's happened 5 times so far). How many times has that happened for the MWC? The Big 12 has 17 BCS appearances, while the MWC has 3. The Big 12 has 7 BCS championship game appearances (leading all conferences), while the MWC has none.

The Big 12 also has 7 or 8 bowl tie-ins, with many to the better bowl games (have you seen the 5 MWC bowl tie ins?).

This doesn't even take into account the strength of the Big 12 in MBB, WBB, VB, BB, SB etc., and how that helps get additional teams into the post season tourneys.

I haven't seen the latest numbers, but I also believe that the conference $$$ distribution in the Big 12 is greater than in the MWC (who already has a network). If the Big 12/Pac-12 network alliance comes through, the Big 12 conference distribution will dwarf the MWC conference distribution.

they are set up even better than the Big 12.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 05-18-2010 at 12:29 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't believe the people in this thread have fallen for the Miller bait. It only took a psot about three in that pointed out how Texas could have the Pac 10 Alliance and still get their own network. Fox already does this with their regional channels.

The Texas haters don't seem to realize that Texas brings in a ton of money to the conference. Whether it be through televised football games or shear numbers of TV sets, the conference is better off with Texas than without. Texas knows this. They also know they are better off with the conference intact and an alliance with the Pac 10. They just want to make sure that they do not lose out on the deal. As they should.
    If and when Fox gets the tv deal for the Pac 10/Big 12, I think you will see schools with national appeal, Texas/USC, get their own channel. Then they can keep revenue from those channels. Win/win for everyone.

People crying about Texas need to realize that we wouldn't be on TV as much if we didn't have the likes of Texas, Nebraska, and OU in our conference. It is what it is.

Whoever said we would own the MVC is just plain silly. BYU and Utah already have a head start. Take away the Big 12 advantage and we would slowly drop in fanbase.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

The Big 12 has a guaranteed BCS bid, which means that getting two teams into the BCS in the same year is a very realistic possibility (it's happened 5 times so far). How many times has that happened for the MWC? The Big 12 has 17 BCS appearances, while the MWC has 3. The Big 12 has 7 BCS championship game appearances (leading all conferences), while the MWC has none.

The Big 12 also has 7 or 8 bowl tie-ins, with many to the better bowl games (have you seen the 5 MWC bowl tie ins?).

This doesn't even take into account the strength of the Big 12 in MBB, WBB, VB, BB, SB etc., and how that help get additional teams into the post season tourneys.

I haven't seen the latest numbers, but I also believe that the conference $$$ distribution in the Big 12 is greater than in the MWC (who already has a network). If the Big 12/Pac-12 network alliance comes through, the Big 12 conference distribution will dwarf the MWC conference distribution.

JBH, very good points, you are correct, but with the addition of BSU doesnt that open up a new can of worms for the MWC?

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
    What a completely idiotic post. Seriously, you are a complete moron. ISU would run the MWC? Are you drunk? And I started to wonder why I don't read this site much anymore...
    K, aside from BYU and Utah who are ISU's level, name bigger schools in the conference?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clonestar12 View Post
    ADs don`t decide on conference affiliations. Those decisions are made at the top of the organization.

You are right, UT is not going to the SEC. They would not be the dominant program,and the powers that be would never let that fly.
    Again, follow the benjamins. Or in this case, read Tony Barnhardt from the Atlanta Journal Constitution who has been covering the SEC for, oh I don't know, about 40 years. He said that if discussions have not already taken place (rumored, but not able to be confirmed), Texas and A&M will be on Mike Slive's speed-dial if the Big 11 goes to a 16 team league. The SEC will not sit back and let that happen. They will go after the two Texas schools, Miami and Florida State, forming a 16 team league of their own.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,536
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by volclone View Post
    Again, follow the benjamins. Or in this case, read Tony Barnhardt from the Atlanta Journal Constitution who has been covering the SEC for, oh I don't know, about 40 years. He said that if discussions have not already taken place (rumored, but not able to be confirmed), Texas and A&M will be on Mike Slive's speed-dial if the Big 11 goes to a 16 team league. The SEC will not sit back and let that happen. They will go after the two Texas schools, Miami and Florida State, forming a 16 team league of their own.
    They may be on Slive's speed dial, but that doesn't mean that they will answer. Not only do UT and ATM not fit into the SEC academically, they'd also open up their state to SEC recruiters (who don't exactly follow the rules the way the Big XII does). No way they sign up for that. Now, what I'd be worried about is OU and OSU. I could see at least a possibility of those two bolting and then the SEC grabbing someone like Clemson and Louisville. That would solidify them as the 2nd most powerful conference at the very least. Not that I think it will happen.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,536
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Miller can be read like a book. He can read a whole article and ignore 90% but pick out the 10% that fits his opinion. It is so predictable it is hilarious. I am not sure if he does it on purpose or is so arrogant and narrow minded that he doesn't get it.
    IMO- The fact that he leaves out that Texas already gets that with Fox SW shows he is clueless as to what goes on outside the little 11. That is commone with most little 11 people/talk radio host that I know or hear.

Texas could have both with the Pac 10 alliance. That will be one of the negotiating issues. Someone like Texas, who gets their $$$$, will still want theirs. And rightfully so. They have the TV sets, and the success.
    You're right. Deace can lay out the facts and say what he thinks will happen. Miller presents his opinions based on what he wants to happen. You know he wants Mizzou and Nebraska to bolt and lists plenty of reasons why that will happen. But when it comes to Texas, we hear all the reasons why they won't join the Big 11...because he doesn't want them to. Discuss Mizzou/Nebraska: Giddiness, discuss Texas: Fear and loathing. I do find it funny that the local sports community in general cannot wait to dance on ISU's grave.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Am I missing something or is the Tex ad way off on his 1/12 number.

With a conf tv network any and all programming can be regionalized. Tv sets in DES moines get the isu game when it's on and Austin (or whole state) get Tex game

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

Frak...I don't think the local sports media is waiting to dance on a grave. What they are seizing on is a story with serious ramifications to Isu.

What's puzzling is when they point out that Isu holds no cards and can only sit idly by with our fingers crossed that we as a fanbase are upset with them for pointing out the truth.

What somebody needed to do was call in to Perrault yesterday and set him straight that isu HAS contended for championships in both fball and bball.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

For what two more years? The Big 12 is going to implode, it was set up to fail, and will, as for the budget, have you looked into what the potentials are for the MWC, do you know they wont be the same? Even with budget now we are rated in the 60's for all colleges, you know who is number 1, give ya hint, topic of this discussion? We at least even the playing field in MWC. NOBODY except Pollard has a clue as to what type of budget a MWC could bring. I will say one thing they may be smaller, but they are ran better, looking to expand, have their own network, will have an OA bid next year and have not reached their potential. Can the same be said about Big 12, 60-1 says no.
    We will fail in the MWC. Travel is a big deal to athletes. Just tell me how well we perform on long travel trips with short turn around. UNLV, Colorado, Boisie, TT, Baylor?