Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Tiling

Anyone here every install tiling around their house? Was wondering what diameter tile you used, 3" or 4" and any tips on what to do/not to do? I have about 75' of tile I need to install in a low area behind my house and will probably put one of those "pop-up" valves at the end of it for the discharge since I don't have a steep enough slope to just leave the end open. Plan is to dig a deep enough trench to lay the tile, cover it with pea gravel then fill the rest back with the dirt and reseed the grass. There is a decent price difference in the 3" versus 4" tile at Menards so was wondering for what I am trying to do should I not fret over probably $25 in savings and just go with the 4" perforated tile?

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Tiling

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Anyone here every install tiling around their house? Was wondering what diameter tile you used, 3" or 4" and any tips on what to do/not to do? I have about 75' of tile I need to install in a low area behind my house and will probably put one of those "pop-up" valves at the end of it for the discharge since I don't have a steep enough slope to just leave the end open. Plan is to dig a deep enough trench to lay the tile, cover it with pea gravel then fill the rest back with the dirt and reseed the grass. There is a decent price difference in the 3" versus 4" tile at Menards so was wondering for what I am trying to do should I not fret over probably $25 in savings and just go with the 4" perforated tile?

Sounds like you got it right. I did my yard about 2 years ago, about 40' worth. Dont underestimate the amount of water that can flow during a rainstorm. There have been times during heavy rains (3+ inches) that the outlet of the pipe looks like the releasing of a damn. Water is just pouring out.

The other thing, be aware that the ground will settle after awhile. I had the grass and dirt all leveled out when finished and over the course of 2 years, it has started to create a small trench as the ground below it has compacted. Might have to throw some dirt back on top to level and reseed this fall.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I figured it would settle some but it probably wouldn't be too bad of a thing as it would probably give the water a path to drain on the surface as well. Basically there is about a 10 foot area behind my house and the neighbors drive (I live on a corner lot so the back of my house faces the side of my neighbor behind me) and the water runs off that drive and down a slight slope into the low area between us. I just had a sump pump installed near the corner where some of the water tends to seep in first, my plumber recommended tiling too since the back corner wall had some moisture, probably from the runoff that drains towards my house. Probably going to run my roto tiller through that area first so the shoveling won't be so bad.

I kind of made my own "runoff" trenches on the north side of my house last spring when I ran the tiller from the 2 downspouts to the sidwalk and just made the slightest of a trench for the water to run in and reseeded. About a week after I did that got a huge rain and the water cut a nice path to the sidewalk from the down spouts so I notices a big difference on that side of the basement this past year as it's stayed dry ever since I did that. I also try to put an extra 10 feet of tile extentions on the end of the downspouts prior to heavy rains so the water drains about 20 feet from the house when they are on.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 157

Iowa one call before you dig! My brother cut the fiber optic cable on a holiday weekend whilst tiling. $15K in repairs later, it was all good.

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    I would just use the 4"--don't risk undersizing it. Also, I would recommend staying away from the "pop-up" valves, as in our freeze/thaw environment they can get frozen/stuck shut. Don't want this to happen, as then the water just backs up. Better option would be to put in a drain box--in a situation where the pop-up would "pop" the water would just flow out the top of the box--no risk of mechanical failure.