Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 58

Why are the people who run TV studios such idiots?

So I'm looking at EntertainmentWeekly.com to check out the Survivor re-cap (always pretty funny, by the way), when I see a link that says that "Flash Forward" has been officially cancelled.

I don't know how many other people watch the show, but major bummer

I really enjoy it a great deal and will miss it. With that being said though I have to ask what the h*ll the producers and ABC were thinking when they pulled it off the air for three frakkin' months and expected it to keep the same ratings? Lunacy, I tell you...let's totally intentionally lose all the momentum the show has built up by yanking it off the air and having everybody forget about it.

As long as I'm venting, same general idea about "Heroes". IMO, the first season of "Heroes" is one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen, so in the 2nd season the directors and producers decide to basically screw with everything that made the show great and completely fix what wasn't broken. I didn't even bother watching it last season because I thought it had gotten so ridiculous.

I really didn't follow the Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien saga, since I'm usually in bed and asleep by the time those shows are on anyway, but again, another self-induced trainwreck by NBC. Seriously, what do you have to do to get a job in Hollywood these days?

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Why are the people who run TV studios such idiots?

Damn. Flash Forward is really cancelled? With that, and Lost ending, and V pretty much sucking, I'm going to have no shows to follow.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    So I'm looking at EntertainmentWeekly.com to check out the Survivor re-cap (always pretty funny, by the way), when I see a link that says that "Flash Forward" has been officially cancelled.

I don't know how many other people watch the show, but major bummer

I really enjoy it a great deal and will miss it. With that being said though I have to ask what the h*ll the producers and ABC were thinking when they pulled it off the air for three frakkin' months and expected it to keep the same ratings? Lunacy, I tell you...let's totally intentionally lose all the momentum the show has built up by yanking it off the air and having everybody forget about it.

As long as I'm venting, same general idea about "Heroes". IMO, the first season of "Heroes" is one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen, so in the 2nd season the directors and producers decide to basically screw with everything that made the show great and completely fix what wasn't broken. I didn't even bother watching it last season because I thought it had gotten so ridiculous.

I really didn't follow the Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien saga, since I'm usually in bed and asleep by the time those shows are on anyway, but again, another self-induced trainwreck by NBC. Seriously, what do you have to do to get a job in Hollywood these days?

I dont think thats true. I think some of the writers left to expand their horizons. I think at least one of them went to Pushing Daisies. Then when that got canceled he came back and then Heroes picked up again. Too little too late.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think the 3 month hiatus you are talking about for a lot of the shows had a lot to do with the Olympics.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by CyFever View Post
    Damn. Flash Forward is really cancelled? With that, and Lost ending, and V pretty much sucking, I'm going to have no shows to follow.

If you are looking for scifi type, pick up Fringe. If you are looking for kick *** drama, check out Justified.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 10

I watched the first few episodes, and it was pretty good, but then it went away for too long.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

I don't get it either. Family Guy and Futurama have been resurrected from the dead. Guess what - people like these shows! It seems that no network wants to take a risk anymore. Let's choose Vanilla Leno and not Conan. Let's put tons of low-cost reality shows on TV that will make a little money anyway. The more stupid drama the better.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 58

I watched the first few episodes, and it was pretty good, but then it went away for too long.

My point exactly....why take it off for so long? I know the Olympics were happening, but the Olympics for a little more than two weeks. Flash Forward was off the air for at least two months.

At least Fringe has been renewed, but yes, with 24 and Flash Forward being cancelled and Lost ending I'm losing some good quality TV shows.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 54

Network TV is a pretty tough place for any dramas that are remotely different or interesting (i.e. good). They are very quick to pull the trigger if the ratings are low and don't give shows time to establish a fan base. They hate taking chances on shows and they know they can get decent ratings out of a crappy reality show or a predictable police/lawyer procedural.

Really the only decent and interesting dramas that I can think of on Network TV in recent years are Lost and 24. If you want good dramas, you've got to go to Cable, which had/has some great shows recently especially HBO and Showtime. These cable networks can take risks, make intelligent shows for an adult audience, and they don't have the quick trigger finger if the ratings don't start out great because they don't make all (or any) of their money off advertisements.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Once Lost is done I'm pretty much done with network TV other than 30 minute comedies. But I've never watched Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified, or the new HBO series the Pacific so I'll start netflixin' them now. Literally nothing on regular TV other than Modern Family and the Office appeals to me now. Which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    I think the 3 month hiatus you are talking about for a lot of the shows had a lot to do with the Olympics.

Last time I checked the Olympics did last 3 months.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by CyFever View Post
    DWTS.....

FIFA Soccer

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 423

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Once Lost is done I'm pretty much done with network TV other than 30 minute comedies. But I've never watched Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified, or the new HBO series the Pacific so I'll start netflixin' them now. Literally nothing on regular TV other than Modern Family and the Office appeals to me now. Which is pretty crazy when you think about it.
    I can't vouch for the others but this one won't disappoint. I would recommend watching from the beginning, though.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

My point exactly....why take it off for so long? I know the Olympics were happening, but the Olympics for a little more than two weeks. Flash Forward was off the air for at least two months.

At least Fringe has been renewed, but yes, with 24 and Flash Forward being cancelled and Lost ending I'm losing some good quality TV shows.
    What little of Fringe I have seen looked interesting, but with such a serialized show, I wasn't in the from the beginning and I don't think I can jump in now. Might try and catch up with DVD. That is actually how we did Lost, first two seasons on DVD before the third started.

We we actually a Nielson rating household during the Olympics. I noted on our form in the comments section that we watched Flash Forward but because of the hiatus and Olympics, it wasn't on in our time frame to record.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 527
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

First "Journeyman," then "Life" and now "Flash Forward.". Somebody hates me.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?