Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

Wrestling Future

So I'm guessing that if Nebbie and Mizzou bolt for the B10/11 that any teams we pick to replace them will not have a wrestling program.

Because of this, my thought is the 3 remaining programs (ISU, OU, OSU) would join in with the Pac10 as part of the new alliance and compete as a "joint conference".

This is another great reason for these two conferences to partner up.

Thoughts?

Last edited by isuno1fan; 05-14-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 0

Re: Wrestling Future

Great idea. Although I was under the impression that BYU had a wrestling program and I think that Utah does too. Joining the Pac10 for wrestling makes a lot of sense. It's a fairly strong conference that I'm sure would welcome the three remaining Big12 schools. There aren't a lot of conference dual meets that you have to travel to. You could also try and schedule two duals in one trip. I think they've done that in the past with OU and OSU so I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

The nice thing is that now wrestling earns qualifier spots so it is in the conference's best interest to add more strong teams. It's not like football where you only get one automatic BCS spot.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 217

I think it would be great. Arizona State's wrestling program is barely holding on - a partnership with the Big 12 would save that program.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

I've heard people say that NU and Mizzou leaving would kill the ISU wrestling program, and I totally disagree. It would actually be an opportunity, like you guys are saying, to grow the program through a new conference of Western states wrestling programs, like Boise State, Arizona State, BYU, etc.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    Great idea. Although I was under the impression that BYU had a wrestling program and I think that Utah does too. Joining the Pac10 for wrestling makes a lot of sense. It's a fairly strong conference that I'm sure would welcome the three remaining Big12 schools. There aren't a lot of conference dual meets that you have to travel to. You could also try and schedule two duals in one trip. I think they've done that in the past with OU and OSU so I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

The nice thing is that now wrestling earns qualifier spots so it is in the conference's best interest to add more strong teams. It's not like football where you only get one automatic BCS spot.
    Neither BYU nor Utah has a wrestling program.

If the Big 12 disbands, ISU will join a different wrestling conference. It could also lead to the NCAA changing the qualification format to be more like what we have in our high schools. Who knows. Either way, we'll still have a good program.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

The way I understood, if BYU still had a wreslting program, we would never have seen the Sandersons at ISU.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 45

Wrestling will be dead in college in the next 10 years. Outside of a few select schools there is no market for it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Wrestling will be dead in college in the next 10 years. Outside of a few select schools there is no market for it.
    That is the generalist, non-wrestling follower observation.

The upper midwest and northeast schools will always have wrestling. Likely will become purely regional (somewhat is right now), but it will never dissolve.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    If "markets" determined the athletic programs sponsored by schools, there would be no collegiate sports outside of football and basketball and even those sports would only be sponsored at select schools.

The wrestling landscape may look a lot different in 10 years, but it won't be dead. It will exist in one way or another.

To the poster above, ASU's program is on very solid ground now. The program and all scholarships are now firmly endowed.

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post

BYU has not had a wrestling program for quite some time. Cody Sanderson started the Utah Valley University program in Orem, Utah. They are now a Division 1 program under Greg Williams. This year was their first year to compete at the Division 1 level. They beat Boise in their dual match.