Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Jon Miller

Do me a favor and add just a pinch more arrogance and unrestrained giddiness to your next Big 10 expansion discussion. It wasn't quite nauseating enough this morning.

I hope you two were wearing dipers or had some plastic down on your chairs. I feel sorry for the janitor that has to clean out your studio after the show.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 524
    Given: 503

Re: Jon Miller

See, if you want to get at them, you don't respond. Responding means you're listening and care about what's being said.

That said, I've really enjoyed their show most days, but I was home and away from the radio by the time the expansion talk started.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

I really enjoy Miller & Deace and listen to their podcast nearly every day. But enough with the Big 10 expansion talk. I understood the first couple weeks of discussion but now they are basically repeating themselves over and over again. I'm not sure how many more times I can handle Deace saying "Missouri and Rutgers are a lock" to go to the Big 10. We get it.

I do get a kick out of Jon thinking that Iowa has all of this pull in the Big 10. I also enjoy when he says that people need to realize this isn't about sports, its about money/tv audience (which is true) and then beats the Hawkeye drum about being good in football like that somehow gives them leverage. Even though Iowa is a small market and has a small audience/tv viewers. Iowa is in a similar position as Iowa State...they are just along for the ride.

Last edited by cycloneworld; 05-14-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    See, if you want to get at them, you don't respond. Responding means you're listening and care about what's being said.

That said, I've really enjoyed their show most days, but I was home and away from the radio by the time the expansion talk started.
    Yep. They are not in the reporting business, they are radio folk who gets paid to stir the pot. See, it's about numbers and advertising. Glorified fans, nothing more.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The Big Ten expansion talk is the #1 issue of interest in our area right now. Look at this board for the past week.
    I'm not sure what you expect when you turn on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    The Big Ten expansion talk is the #1 issue of interest in our area right now. Look at this board for the past week.
    And not much going on in the summer, anyway. Of course they're going to talk about this over and over. I don't know what the OP really expects, either.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 95

I'm surprised he makes it through the entire show without "finishing", if you know what I mean.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And not much going on in the summer, anyway. Of course they're going to talk about this over and over. I don't know what the OP really expects, either.
    It's like turning on Jay Leno and getting ****** he did Headlines again and then proceeded to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't mind the show, for the most part. But this morning almost made me lose my breakfast. Going into the 7:30 break they were giddy over what they were referring to as a "land grab" by the Big 10. They started playing the Imperial March music, and Jon started giggling like a school girl. Barely able to contain himself, he then said something along the lines of "I'm laughing because I'm in the Big 10."

YOU'RE in the Big 10??? Ugh. At least save the I's and we's for the alma mater.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I'd be giddy too if the Big 12 was being proactive. This is my problem with the Beebe statement. His "are you in or are you out" ultimatum is utterly stupid because with the Big 10 package OF COURSE they would be out if that were the other option. How about releasing a statement like this:

"There has been a lot of discussion in the media and among fans about the possibility of some Big 12 schools leaving the conference. We want to assure our fans and member institutions that we are working diligently to improve the profile of the Big 12 Conference. We are working on a series of plans, some involving a joint venture with the Pac-10 conference to increase television exposure and revenue to be on par with other major conferences. It is a great time to be a Big 12 conferene member and the future is very bright".

The faux "threatening" of Nebraska and Mizzou is utterly ridiculous because they are in a much more powerful position if an offer from the Big 10 is forthcoming. It reminds me of the scene in Holy Grail when the English are threatening the French. And if I were Nebraska I would be farting in Beebe's general direction.

Beebe needs to be super proactive in increasing our exposure and he needs to have plans laid out for a Big 12/Pac-10 network within a month. At least preliminary plans so he can show the member schools startup costs and initial revenue streams. He needs to show them what is being done for their benefit and how being a part of this conference can be extremely beneficial in the future. We in the Big 12 have nothing to pound our chests about which is why he needs to have a plan to present to these schools.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 102

I think its hilarious how its ALL about markets and number of TVs in markets.....but in 5-10 years when EVERYONE has access to any game with all these new types of packages, and when good teams are sick of going 500 at best in power conferences...it will all come crashing down...honeymoon will be over.

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Its funny to think how much less they might be talking about it if it was a Big 12 expansion and how the attitude would definately be different.

I dont blame Miller for being giddy, think about it. If there were the same discussions about ISU we would all be jumping up and down and ISU would be selling season tickets for the new End Zone bowl. I mean the amount of $$ involved is astounding and as Miller stated this morning how does the Big 12 plan to stay competitive outside of maybe Texas? If you add another 10 MM to each Big 10 schools budget PLUS add another 3-5 teams to fill out the leauge there is very little chance that small budget teams like ISU, KSU, CO and others from outside the big 10 can compete on a dollar basis.

I love college FB but I think that this is the begginning of the demise of the pagentry and the tradition that makes this sport so special. Its just like the expansion of the NCAA BB tourney, the tourney is quite possibly the best sporting event in the nation and someone had to go and mess with it. Why? For more $$. The BS about adding a few more bubble teams is crap, it was about having a few more games to sell advertisement time for. PERIOD. It sucks that even in college sports the almight dollar ALWAYS wins out.

Maybe I'm biased because my school is on the outside looking in, but with this expansion and the huge amount of $$ involved the gap between the haves and the have nots will become so large that we will never see things like Appy State upset Michigan or UNI taking Iowa to the last second field goal and having to block it TWICE to secure the win. These are just a few examples of the things that make College FB the spectacle that it is. For me it will lose this with two or three MEGA confrences.

End of Rant

Its beyond pride. Its a restored trust. Theres a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State it factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the mans enthusiasm is genuine to the core...
    columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I expect two hours on firing Trey Hillman and hiring Ned Yost.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by balken View Post
    I expect two hours on firing Trey Hillman and hiring Ned Yost.
    Yost only deserves a half hour, so that would make Hillman worth an hour and a half? I can't see giving him more than 20-30 minutes.

Rein in those expectations, big fella..

Prospect
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I think its hilarious how its ALL about markets and number of TVs in markets.....but in 5-10 years when EVERYONE has access to any game with all these new types of packages, and when good teams are sick of going 500 at best in power conferences...it will all come crashing down...honeymoon will be over.
    If EVERYONE has access to the games then the BTN will be raking in even more money, and that's exactly what the plan calls for. Nobody will be sick of going .500 when they are getting paid handsomely for it.