Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Interesting take on Notre Dame Football from ESPN story

Notre Dame Fighting Irish's football independence embraced by Brian Kelly - ESPN

crazypianoguy (5/13/2010 at 11:36 AM)

"he's talking about football genius... not "all other sports". Let me clue you in on that history. You see, Michigan actually made Notre Dame the national team that they are. Way back when Fielding Yost's boys got beat for the first time by Notre Dame, he got all mad and had a temper-tantrum and refused to play us anymore. Notre Dame actually WANTED to join their conference back then, but, what eventually became the Big Ten, refused to let them in because Michigan ran the show back then. For 40 years Michigan refused to play Notre Dame, even going so far as to blackball Notre Dame. They told all the conference members that if they scheduled Notre Dame, they wouldn't be playing michigan anymore... Mind you these were the glory days for Notre Dame... They never played knute Rockne, Frank leahy, or Ara Parseghian. scared much?? geeeez.... So Notre Dame had to find other teams to play. That's why they went across the country to USC, that's why they played Army (the best team in the nation at the time) in Yankee stadium and upset them, becoming the national darling that they are. It set off a spark of great coaches and great teams, where great players flocked supported by a national following.... all because Fielding Yost was anti-catholic and hated the Fighting Irish. So when Notre Dame refuses the big televen for the 3rd time in the next couple weeks, I'll be smiling, because their the idiots who made Notre Dame into what it is, and now Notre Dame can do what they want"

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 17

Re: Interesting take on Notre Dame Football from ESPN story

Thanks for the history lesson. Makes a lot more sense now.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 622

There goes the big 12, due to something happening last century.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,296
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 230

I don't blame ND one bit. I have been talking about this even when The Big Televen went after Penn St. ND will NEVER join their conference.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    I don't blame ND one bit. I have been talking about this even when The Big Televen went after Penn St. ND will NEVER join their conference.
    Based on the info above, I would agree. I bet that the only school really added is Rutgers. I'm guessing that if there is a Big12/Pac10 TV agreement that is equable, this will keep MU, NU, & CU in the Big 12. There is pressure now to make this happen.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 93

The problem is for ND, what if this all plays out and there are these super conferences with 6 or 7 historically powerfull football teams? Then what? Who will want to play them when they have a bunch of other tough games within their conference? Not many I would assume. I think they would be best off in the long run to join the Big Ten, but thats' just my opinion.

It's all snark from here on out

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    The problem is for ND, what if this all plays out and there are these super conferences with 6 or 7 historically powerfull football teams? Then what? Who will want to play them when they have a bunch of other tough games within their conference? Not many I would assume. I think they would be best off in the long run to join the Big Ten, but thats' just my opinion.
    They already play teams that are in conferences with powerful football teams. I don't think it will be any different. Purdue and Mich St play them almost every year, and they still have to deal with Iowa, Wisky, Mich, tOSU, and Penn St in their own conference. Stanford and Washington play them quite often and still have to face USC, Cal, UCLA in the Pac 10. They've even done home and home with Tennessee and Nebraska in the past decade.

Teams will jump at the chance to play ND because it's good exposure, especially if you beat them.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 475

The problem for Notre Dame is they better start winning. Otherwise people will quit being fans of them. They have done nothing since Lou left.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

I know Notre Dame has reason to be upset with the Big 10 for what they "did" to them 75+ years ago now, and now that they're a national name unto themselves now they have no need to join the Big 10 Conference. They have it good right now, but here's the thing - if ND continues to be largely irrelevant like they have been for however long it's been since Lou Holtz left, are they really going to be able to keep that national fan base? If that fan base dries up, is NBC or some other network going to give ND their exclusive contract? Or what happens if/when the super conferences form, become tired of making concessions for ND, and decide to leave them on the outside looking in?

See, it's great when you have power, because you can afford to hold grudges against those that have wronged you in the past (in ND's case, 75+ years ago). What happens if/when the power shifts, however, and you no longer have the power to determine your own future, and because you decided to separate yourself from everyone else when you had that power because you were "too good" for everyone else you're now on the outside looking in?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.