Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 816
    Given: 800

Golf Lessons?

As I hit the driving range at Veenker monday, I realize how I'm getting worse and worse each golf season. I hit a few decent iron shots, but I did not hit one single good drive. I checked prices at nearby courses for private lessons, but the prices were expensive. I was wondering if anyone knew of a person or of a deal or something that would be affordable and that I could improve my game. Thanks!

@RandomGeoFacts

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Re: Golf Lessons?

Mark Egli in Des Moines is probably the best around and pretty reasonably priced... The thing about lessons is just one or two probably won't do you much good... I would recommend a Five lesson series off the bat then a series of refreher lessons from time to time... I am pretty busy these days but used to work as a golf pro and might be able to swing you a deal if you want to send me a private message sometime.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hitting a driver takes a lot of skill. Consider playing a season with your 3 wood or 5 wood off the tee. You'll probably enjoy your rounds more.

If $$$ is an issue for lessons, check out a beginner's course through parks and rec in Ames.

If a student, see if you can audit a golf class this summer in the PE department. When I was at ISU I was fortunate to take a golf class from the women's golf coach at the time and a couple days a week got some good help from her. I could already play pretty good, but she fine tuned some things.

See if a pro will give lessons in 15 minute increments. Go to the Ames Country Club and see if they have an assistant pro. He'd be cheaper for lessons.

Watch someone who knows what they're doing on the range and ask them to watch you hit a few and offer suggestions. Most will be flattered.

If you have a signifcant other, put a series of 3 lessons on a wish list for birthday, anniversary etc.

If you want to improve your game, spend two or three times as much time chipping and putting as you do hitting balls. You'll get a heck of a lot more value from your practice time. Nobody believes this is important, but it's key to improving scoring. People throw shots away around the greens. Unless you know what you're doing, hitting balls on the range just reinforces bad habits.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I hate golf, I hate golf, I hate golf, TINK - "Nice shot!", I love golf.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Driving ranges are one of the most overrated things in amateur golf. I know guys that spend a ton of time at the range and their game never gets better. Instead they just continue on the same path and get more frustrated.

My game? It stinks. I had to take last year off, so now would be a great time for me to get a 3-5 lessons. Will be watching for suggestions on where the best place is go for your money.

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

MJones, I'm no golf instructor, but I am a pretty good golfer. Last season I had a 6 handicap in my league. Anyway, I golf up in Ames about twice per week. If you want, I would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

By your post, I'm going to assume that you've played very little golf in your life, but that's okay. We'll start with the basics and work our way up. I'd like to start out by teaching how to putt. That's the flat faced club in your bag (assuming you have your own clubs) that is used to hit the ball while you are on the green (the shortly mowed area close the pin or hole). Anyway, once we have that down we will move on from there. PM me when a good time for you would be.

Oh, keep in mind, that I like to play my golf like I like my wet t-shirt contests....with lots of screaming, food throwing and as much nipple showing as possible.

"Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!!" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 272

I know Kevin Beard at Otter Creek in Ankeny does something like $40 for 45 min. Or $100 for three 45 min. sessions. That's pry too expensive though.

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been playing for about 12 years actually and took lessons about 10 years ago. I really am decent with putting, average with chipping, average with fairway shots, but just terrible with any type of wood. My 3 wood is no better than my driver. I played about every week last summer and was able to cut my score from the 100s to the 90s just by putting away the drivers and driving with irons and improving the short game. I hit a plateau because on the 500+ yard holes, it took me 3-4 shots to get onto the green.

I may take some of your suggestions into consideration and I hope to hear more. Thanks again!

@RandomGeoFacts

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Driving ranges are one of the most overrated things in amateur golf. I know guys that spend a ton of time at the range and their game never gets better. Instead they just continue on the same path and get more frustrated.

My game? It stinks. I had to take last year off, so now would be a great time for me to get a 3-5 lessons. Will be watching for suggestions on where the best place is go for your money.

From the websites I looked at, it seems group lessons are the best way to go. I'll keep looking too.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd be interested in that if the time/location were convenient.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I'd be interested in that if the time/location were convenient.

True. It could be tough for me this summer since I'm living in Ames and commuting to Des Moines. After the winter, I'm moving to either West Des Moines or Ankeny with my wife to be. Basically, I just want to get better so I don't feel I need to drink a few beers to think I'm doing well

@RandomGeoFacts

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by hfthomp View Post
    Oh, keep in mind, that I like to play my golf like I like my wet t-shirt contests....with lots of screaming, food throwing and as much nipple showing as possible.
    I pretty much stink at golf. Only play when a business vendor pays from my old job. As a result, I golf like elderly couples make love.......SLOW and SLOPPY.

Your way sounds way much funner....

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

On a somewhat related topic, KXNO is having it's Hackfest golf tournament is coming up - May 18th.

LINK

Looks like a good time, you may even be able to try to hit Jon Miller with a golf ball - who knows.

Unfortunately I can't make it, otherwise chadm and I would team up and take a firm hold on...last place.

Quote Originally Posted by hfthomp View Post
    Nnnnnice! I've found that my golf game is much better when I'm with a group where these type of "distractions" exist. Tough to get upset with a bad shot (or 10) when the scenery is nice and not always hidden. Just make sure you know where the beer cart is at all times, or if nothing else - affix a tracking device to it.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 05-03-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

One other suggestion is to go through the YMCA. Some will offer group lessons for adults, with a local pro and the rates for non-members is only slightly higher than for members.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 55

Short game, short game, short game. If you can score from inside 100 yards I guarantee you will shave tons of strokes off of your score. If you don't play and practice very often then lessons aren't going to do anything for you. Golf is a game that takes a ton of time and money to become very good at. What I would recommend is finding a pro or someone that is willing and knows a lot about the game, and go out with them and play. Having someone give you pointers on the course is the best way to learn to score and save strokes. Lessons are great, but you have to take the time and effort to learn all the aspects of the game, not just the swing. Your mental game is just as much if not more important to golf than is the physical side.