Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

Re: Jarrod Uthoff info & video...

Quote Originally Posted by ISU42 View Post
    How can you put guys up there that haven't competed at the college level yet? Do you think McKowen, Jacobson, Binnie, Egelseder, and Ali would have done anything at the Big 10 or Big 12 level?
    Iowa kids are a nice supplement to out of state recruits.
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't recruit outside of Iowa.... I'm just saying that list shows (along with others I missed Korver...) would make a nice nucleus on any team. And yes, I think anyone who can shoot like Jacobson or Ali would do well in the big 10/big 12. I also think any 7 footer who can score down low like Egelseder would do well in the big 10/big 12.

I'd be willing to throw my name out there as I'm betting on that list of kids who haven't competed yet (Barnes, Jok, Uthoff, Paige) as guys who will have real nice college careers.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,201
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 521

Re: Way to break the case Sherlocks

Quote Originally Posted by azn4cy View Post
    Well, the problem here is that your OLD argument is that message boards hurt recruiting if recruits see negative things written about them. We're not even arguing that.

Nobody in this thread is saying that Uthoff sucks, etc. Just that the video is less than flattering of his real skills. Even if he does read these boards, he can hardly perceive that as a slight to his basketball ability, just to the video editing skills of the guy who put it out.
    I would hope that if recruits do pay close attention to fanbase message boards, they would also take some of the more inflammatory comments with a grain of salt.

I can't speak for others, but my comments were based on what I saw on the video, which is an isolated glimpse that probably understated his potential.

I already assume ISU will seriously push to land Uthoff. If we don't get him, Iowa probably will.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't recruit outside of Iowa.... I'm just saying that list shows (along with others I missed Korver...) would make a nice nucleus on any team. And yes, I think anyone who can shoot like Jacobson or Ali would do well in the big 10/big 12. I also think any 7 footer who can score down low like Egelseder would do well in the big 10/big 12.

I'd be willing to throw my name out there as I'm betting on that list of kids who haven't competed yet (Barnes, Jok, Uthoff, Paige) as guys who will have real nice college careers.
    Look at iowa's '05-'06 team and you can see right there that you can not only compete with the right group of Iowa kids, but also be pretty damn successful. They started Horner, Brunner, Haluska and Mike Henderson, but Carlton Reed and Alex Thompson were significant bench players on that team as well. Granted, there aren't many classes in this state on a regular basis that have players with the ability of Haluska, Horner, Brunner and Jacobson (UNI), but it does show that when you bring in the right mix of Iowa players and surround them with some nice surrounding pieces (Erek Hanson and Doug Thomas on the iowa '05-'06 team), you can really have some success. iowa did go 25-9 that year and get a #3 seed, but of course were undone in the first round.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU42 View Post
    How can you put guys up there that haven't competed at the college level yet? Do you think McKowen, Jacobson, Binnie, Egelseder, and Ali would have done anything at the Big 10 or Big 12 level?
    Iowa kids are a nice supplement to out of state recruits.
    I think all of these guys would have needed time to develop at the B12/B11 level. Egelseder really took 2-3 years before he could be counted on and was definitely a project out of HS. McKowen and Binnie both would have made nice supporting role players and great guys off the bench, or even could have been starters by the time they were juniors or seniors, especially McKowen. Jacobson was the one guy in this group that I think could have made a difference in a big time conference right off the bat. If you surround him with guys like Stinson and Blalock and let Jacobson spot up for 3's, he would have been an amazing asset to have on those teams (significantly better than John Neal). Ali just wasn't big, strong, quick enough out of HS and he really benefited from the JUCO route.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    Peter scored 24 in the second half last Sunday with the 15U's, playing exclusively with his left hand...AND HE'S RIGHT HANDED. Marcus will probably be a top 5 point guard in his class when it's all said and done.
    I need some more info here... what reason did he only use his left hand? Injured... or they were already winning by 30 at half? Coach wants him to get good using both?

Also, 15U looks kinda like ISU... is there some hiddin meaning there?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Yeah, and how many times do you think Average Joe gets a date with Megan Fox by using a general tone of being unimpressed when asking her out (mind games aside)? This is recruiting...
    It all goes back to how one views of the impact of message boards/fan support in recruiting. If you feel it has anything above zero impact, why not just hold the thoughts to a private forum?
    Are you calling Fred Hoiberg Average Joe? Because the cougars will be on the prowl next year in force.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 839

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    ... the cougars will be on the prowl next year in force.
    Yes, very good work by JP to expand the season ticket market into a new demographic.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why did the title of this thread change to "Way to break the case Sherlocks", but it's still about Jered on the front page?

Just for clarification's sake, nobody in this thread has said that they don't want Jared playing for ISU, in fact it's quite the contrary. Just an underwhelming highlight video. No big deal.