Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Some time ago, there was a lively discussion on CF regarding whether or not Turner Gill would be able to recruit at Kansas. A number of posters felt his "no cussing" policy would hurt him. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but according to this report, it appears Gill is putting together a very nice class during his first full recruiting year in Lawrence.

    Spring Game Recruiting Report Cards for Eight More College Football Teams | Bleacher Report



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 19,681, Level: 42
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    becrisgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    868
    Points
    19,681
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Some time ago, there was a lively discussion on CF regarding whether or not Turner Gill would be able to recruit at Kansas. A number of posters felt his "no cussing" policy would hurt him. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but according to this report, it appears Gill is putting together a very nice class during his first full recruiting year in Lawrence.

    Spring Game Recruiting Report Cards for Eight More College Football Teams | Bleacher Report

    Will it be as highly rated as Callahan's first class he recruited to Lincoln?



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 206,359, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,251
    Points
    206,359
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 508

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    ha bleacher report



  4. #4
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by becrisgreg View Post
    Will it be as highly rated as Callahan's first class he recruited to Lincoln?
    Nothing could be as overrated as that class! Although that class (2005) included Ndamukong Suh, Barry Turner, Phillip Dillard and Zac Taylor, for ther most part, it was filled with busts, ala Harrison Beck, Jordon Congdon, etc.

    As I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but on the surface anyway, he seems to be holding his own. There were a lot of comments that his "no cussing" policy would hurt him, but based on comments from both current players and recruits it doesn't see to be hurting him at all and even may be helping him in some quarters. Turner has a magnetic personality and my guess is he won't have any problems when it comes to recruiting. He certainly won't recruit at the level of teams like Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska, but he'll do just fine.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 467,694, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,614
    Points
    467,694
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    I love when people quote people use Bleacher Report as an authoritative voice...

    Do they occasionally have some insightful views? Sure. But every time I see Bleacher Report mentioned, I can't help but get this mental image:



    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  6. #6
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    I certainly don't refer to Bleacher Report as an "authoritative voice," jdoggivjc. Nor do I consider a number of columnists/bloggers as authortative. I see Bleacher Report as simply another source of information that you put in the pot and stir around. Are they always accurate? Certainly not. But do you find interesting (and for the most part, fairly accurate) information there? Absolutely.

    If you are looking for other sources, both Rivals and Scout (neither of which I consider "authoritative" sources) place Gill's recruiting efforts pretty much on par with where Mangino recruited when he was in Lawrence. And Mangino had some pretty fair teams at Kansas, as I recall.

    As a point of reference, both Scout and Rivals (again, not "authoritative" sources) place the current Kansas recruiting class ahead of where Iowa State is at.



  7. #7
    Prospect
    Points: 5,565, Level: 22
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    54
    Points
    5,565
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Gill hired Reggie Mitchell away from Zooker at Illinois. He immediately got a kid from the KC area to decommit to the Illini and sign on with KU. I'm on a business trip to Overland Park this week. I noticed a billboard on 35 just South of downtown on the Kansas side with a huge picture of Gill promoting KU Football.


    If Iowa plays Iraq I wear a turbin to the game!

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,017, Level: 77
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4,996
    Points
    62,017
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 109

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Bleacher Report = Commie Trash.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 19,681, Level: 42
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    becrisgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    868
    Points
    19,681
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    the level of teams like Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska, .



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 45,018, Level: 65
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,491
    Points
    45,018
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wcloneswin View Post
    Gill hired Reggie Mitchell away from Zooker at Illinois. He immediately got a kid from the KC area to decommit to the Illini and sign on with KU. I'm on a business trip to Overland Park this week. I noticed a billboard on 35 just South of downtown on the Kansas side with a huge picture of Gill promoting KU Football.
    So, they can convince a kid from KC to play for KU under a coach he previously committed for...AND...they can put up a billboard promoting Turner Gill?! Well, yeah, I guess they beat my expectations then.



  11. #11
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    So, they can convince a kid from KC to play for KU under a coach he previously committed for...AND...they can put up a billboard promoting Turner Gill?! Well, yeah, I guess they beat my expectations then.
    Interesting how Turner Gill was the greatest thing since sliced bread a few years ago when it looked like he might be a candidate for the Iowa State vacancy, but now he is a "chump." All he ever accomplished as a coach was receive a national award for being among the best assistant coaches (and recruiters) in the country, get hired by the Green Bay Packers, and then take a school that most college football fans didn't even know existed and a school that had NEVER won anything and win a conference championship and take them to a bowl game.

    What a "chump!"



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 28,175, Level: 51
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    1,844
    Points
    28,175
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    I certainly don't refer to Bleacher Report as an "authoritative voice," jdoggivjc. Nor do I consider a number of columnists/bloggers as authortative. I see Bleacher Report as simply another source of information that you put in the pot and stir around. Are they always accurate? Certainly not. But do you find interesting (and for the most part, fairly accurate) information there? Absolutely.

    If you are looking for other sources, both Rivals and Scout (neither of which I consider "authoritative" sources) place Gill's recruiting efforts pretty much on par with where Mangino recruited when he was in Lawrence. And Mangino had some pretty fair teams at Kansas, as I recall.

    As a point of reference, both Scout and Rivals (again, not "authoritative" sources) place the current Kansas recruiting class ahead of where Iowa State is at.
    Of course you have no desire to play the "I told you so" card with regard to the "no cussing" effecting recruits. You must feel really good.


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 28,175, Level: 51
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    1,844
    Points
    28,175
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Interesting how Turner Gill was the greatest thing since sliced bread a few years ago when it looked like he might be a candidate for the Iowa State vacancy, but now he is a "chump." All he ever accomplished as a coach was receive a national award for being among the best assistant coaches (and recruiters) in the country, get hired by the Green Bay Packers, and then take a school that most college football fans didn't even know existed and a school that had NEVER won anything and win a conference championship and take them to a bowl game.

    What a "chump!"
    Please show me wheree anyone called Gill a chump in this thread. Please show me where anyone was questioning him in this thread. Do you make up stuff as you go?


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 45,018, Level: 65
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,491
    Points
    45,018
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

    Re: Can Turner Gill Recruit? Questions Seem Answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Interesting how Turner Gill was the greatest thing since sliced bread a few years ago when it looked like he might be a candidate for the Iowa State vacancy, but now he is a "chump." All he ever accomplished as a coach was receive a national award for being among the best assistant coaches (and recruiters) in the country, get hired by the Green Bay Packers, and then take a school that most college football fans didn't even know existed and a school that had NEVER won anything and win a conference championship and take them to a bowl game.

    What a "chump!"
    Yeah, I never called him a "chump"...and for the record I never jumped on the bandwagon for the vacancy. But back to the point, I find the recruiting issue unfounded based on the evidence I see right now.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM