Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU Announces Engineering Job Cuts

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISU Announces Engineering Job Cuts

the people they are cutting does not seem like it will affect majority of the people

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISU Announces Engineering Job Cuts

The Dean of Engineering essentially announced this to the students months ago, without naming specific people.

From an e-mail he sent:
    Wickert, Jonathan A [ENG] <wickert@iastate.edu>to
    dateMon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:43 AMsubject[Engrsr] Message from the Dean of Engineeringmailing listengrsr.mail.eng.iastate.edu Filter messages from this mailing listunsubscribeUnsubscribe from this mailing-list
    hide details Mar 22

Dear Engineering Students: As you return from spring break, I want to welcome you back to campus and reach out to you with some information about the College of Engineering’s budget for next year.

You’ve heard a lot about the budget, I’m sure. What I want to make sure you hear from me is that the engineering college is putting you first. You made a great choice in coming to Iowa State, and you expect a strong education. We will deliver.

Our highest priority is to preserve the quality of student learning. We’re doing that by protecting the budgets of majors and academic departments. The budget cuts that we do make this year will come from administration, and even then we will focus on protecting our academic mission. We will now be directing differential tuition and technology fee funds directly to departments based on enrollments and teaching needs. And we are working to reduce or even eliminate some of the course fees that you encounter.

I have expressed all of this to the academic departments, and to faculty and staff throughout the college, so this is my opportunity to convey this message to you directly. As always, I’m also eager to hear from you. Please don’t hesitate to share your ideas with me or to send them to coebudgetideas@iastate.edu.

The budget process is ongoing, so I will keep you updated as we learn more. In the meantime, I wish you the best as you focus on the final weeks of the semester. And if you see me walking along a campus pathway, in a hallway, or around my office in Marston Hall, please stop me, introduce yourself, and say hello.

With best regards,

Jonathan

-------------------------------------------
    Jonathan Wickert
    Dean, College of Engineering
    104 Marston Hall
    Iowa State University
    Ames, Iowa 50011-2151
    wickert@iastate.edu
    Tel. (515) 294-9988
    Fax. (515) 294-9273
    www.engineering.iastate.edu

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this: