Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 260

ESPN Radio mentions ISU in Big 10 talk

Last night I was running some errands after dinner and ESPN Radio was talking Big 10 expansion. This isn't prime time for talk radio and it was one of their lesser-known hosts. A caller dialed in and said besides Mizzou there are two other teams that make perfect sense for Big 10 expansion: Iowa State and Pitt. His reasoning was they fit geographically and bring two big in-state rivalries to the table (ISU-UI and Pitt-PSU). The host and a couple subsequent callers strongly agreed.

Fun to listen to, but of course it is a stretch to even call it a longshot.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Re: ESPN Radio mentions ISU in Big 10 talk

Geographically and academically, ISU IS the best fit for the B10/11 out of the B12. That is undeniable.
    If ISU were the only university in the state of Iowa, it would be a no brainer.

Anything is possible with JP working on our behalf, but most likely we remain in the B12. I also think Nebbie will stay in the B12 when it is said and done.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 12

I thought we should never take ESPN reporting as any sort of responsible journalism. Or is that only when the FH hire is discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 0

How is two talk show hosts sitting around shooting it with callers reporting or journalism?

Addict
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,359
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Geographically and academically, ISU IS the best fit for the B10/11 out of the B12. That is undeniable.
    If ISU were the only university in the state of Iowa, it would be a no brainer.

Anything is possible with JP working on our behalf, but most likely we remain in the B12. I also think Nebbie will stay in the B12 when it is said and done.
    As much as people don't like him, he is all about working quiet and being a salesman. If there is anyone to sell the Big 10 on adding ISU as the 16th team, it is JP!

Plus I think it makes sense, Rutgers, Mizzou, Nebraska, Notre Dame and ISU. ISU doesn't add many TV's - but Rutgers, Mizzoun and ND add a lot. If they only take Rutgers, the Big East can continue and makes the least distrubtion to other conferences, Big 10 doesn't look like a bad guy blow up other conferences. The Big 12 can find replacements easily by moving west.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,009
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 10

Unless the Big 12 falls apart I will not be happy with us going to the Big 10, especially if it is a 16 team conference. It would kill our recruiting in Texas, and there are too many other teams to recruit against in the Pennsylvania/Ohio/Illinois area where we would have to go. I would rather see some sort of Big 12/Pac10 alliance.

Prospect
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Fat chance. The B10 expansion is all about money and in that regards ISU brings nothing to the table.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,553
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by taekwonthis View Post
    Fat chance. The B10 expansion is all about money and in that regards ISU brings nothing to the table.
    Thanks for the insight. We have not heard that one before.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    As much as people don't like him, he is all about working quiet and being a salesman. If there is anyone to sell the Big 10 on adding ISU as the 16th team, it is JP!

Plus I think it makes sense, Rutgers, Mizzou, Nebraska, Notre Dame and ISU. ISU doesn't add many TV's - but Rutgers, Mizzoun and ND add a lot. If they only take Rutgers, the Big East can continue and makes the least distrubtion to other conferences, Big 10 doesn't look like a bad guy blow up other conferences. The Big 12 can find replacements easily by moving west.
    I hate to say it, but i think KU makes more sense than ISU in this scenario. KU brings in a strong BB program, and locks down the Kansas City (and Wichita and Topeka) markets. KU is a bigger rival of Mizzou and Nebraska.

I agree with the point that, setting aside all monetary considerations, ISU is the best fit for the Big 10 of any school in the picture, excepting Notre Dame. The trouble is, using monetary as the primary consideration, ISU is the worst fit for B10 expansion.

"It's just another gym" -- Jamaal Tinsley, on playing at Phog Allen Fieldhouse

Pro
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Unless the Big 12 falls apart I will not be happy with us going to the Big 10, especially if it is a 16 team conference. It would kill our recruiting in Texas, and there are too many other teams to recruit against in the Pennsylvania/Ohio/Illinois area where we would have to go. I would rather see some sort of Big 12/Pac10 alliance.
    We recruit Florida and California right now. They aren't in the geographic coverage of the Big 12. I'm not sure that the kid being from the conference matters THAT much. It's probably certainly a factor, but I doubt it would 'kill' our recruiting. We have 17 Texas kids on the roster, We have 12 from Florida.

Sure it's a factor that they're from big 12 country, but our numbers from texas are largely due to 2 things, the caliber of hs football in TX and the advantages of a warmer climate as it applies to evaluating recruits.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

KU can't make a move without KSU...supposedly there are political/legislative reasons for this (at least according to KC radio).

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    KU can't make a move without KSU...supposedly there are political/legislative reasons for this (at least according to KC radio).
    Had not heard that...good news for ISU, upgrades our chances of being team #16 in the Big 10 from none to slim. That doesn't surprise me, it's how Texas Tech and Baylor got into the Big 12.

So is it just me speculating too much, or is the next move (after the great Big 10 land grab of 2010) going to be Texas, A&M, Okla, and Okla St. to the SEC?

Last edited by ce1; 05-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    "It's just another gym" -- Jamaal Tinsley, on playing at Phog Allen Fieldhouse

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,009
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 10

vmbplayer- Agree on some points, but I think the fact that the relatives can see their kids play when they come down to Texas and Oklahoma at least a couple times a year is a bigger plus than you're giving it credit for. We clearly have a lot more kids from Texas plus a few from Oklahoma than any other state or region except Iowa. I think that takes a severe hit if we go to the Big 10.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 709
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    I hate to say it, but i think KU makes more sense than ISU in this scenario. KU brings in a strong BB program, and locks down the Kansas City (and Wichita and Topeka) markets. KU is a bigger rival of Mizzou and Nebraska.

I agree with the point that, setting aside all monetary considerations, ISU is the best fit for the Big 10 of any school in the picture, excepting Notre Dame. The trouble is, using monetary as the primary consideration, ISU is the worst fit for B10 expansion.
    The state of Kansas won't allow KU to join the Big 10 without bringing K-State along, and K-State doesn't meet the academic requirements of the Big 10 (not only are they not an AAU school, but I think they're also a Tier-3 school in that ranking system which has ISU in the 80s - which makes them the best academic choice of the Big 12 North candidates). In other words, ISU has a lot better chance of joining the Big 10 than either Kansas or K-State.

While I don't think ISU has a great shot at joining the Big 10, it's not the "NO SHOT" that some people keep proclaiming.

If for no other reason, I want to see ISU get welcomed into the Big 10 just to stick it to the tavern Hok fans that think ISU should be relegated to D I-AA status even if the Big 12 doesn't break up...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 531
    Given: 475

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    That's short-sighted thinking. As a member of the Big 10 we would have TV exposure nationally and could afford to recruit anywhere we want. If the Big 10 offers we take it. I would bet my children's lives on it.