Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How to deal with the Big 10 once and for all

All of this expansion talk has really been ticking me off...Mostly because yes, ISU gets the shaft. But the elitist attitude of the Big 11 is just rubbing me the wrong way...In this process, they will deal crippling blows to 2 fellow BCS conference members...For what? More money? Power? Prestige? Well, I say that its time to make a stand. One that would be painful in the short term but one that would make a point. Any mix below would hit the Big 10 where it hurts.

1) Every other D1 football school shuns playing Big 10 schools in any situation. Make it a contract amongst ourselves. Pay your way out of any games scheduled at their place. With no non-conference opponents with a pulse, it crushes them in the computers for the BCS title and in some cases eligibility for bowl games.

Now some schools such as ISU may be stuck by their states that demand they play in-state opponents..In that case, we take it to DefCon2

2) Kick all of the Big 11 schools(including the traitors from the Big 12 and Big East) out of the NCAA...IF that doesn't fly, everybody else pulls out...we then make pitches to the smaller conferences including the basketball ones to come with us...would you rather stay with the majority or 14-16 elitists jerks with(at that point) only the Big 11 network.

Leaving them on an island alone messes up Bowl games(no opponents) and when it comes to NCAA tourney time, no place to go. No non-conference opponents in basketball further destroys their credibility.

Sure this seems drastic(kind of like Napalming a cornfield to kill the bugs) and never would happen due to the spineless weasels that run our universities but dang its nice to think about...

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

Re: How to deal with the Big 10 once and for all

Good luck with that. I'm sure that you will have no issue getting all of the AD's to follow you off the cliff.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 15

I have been thinking of why the NCAA doesn't step in here and put a cap on the conferences at 12. The minute the big 10 gets to 16 teams the closer the probability of the 4 super conferences forming and them breaking away from the NCAA to have a playoff. ESPN had their alignment the other night on college football live of this. Some of the bigger schools they left out of it are Louisville, Texas Tech, Baylor, Cinn, and ISU. The NCAA needs to come in and stop this by telling the big 10 they can add 1 more team and strongly suggest to ND that it should be them before this thing gets out of had and the NCAA starts loosing money.

Kyle S. Flander

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

This is your brain on drugs...

Quote Originally Posted by Dolokaju View Post
    All of this expansion talk has really been ticking me off...Mostly because yes, ISU gets the shaft. But the elitist attitude of the Big 11 is just rubbing me the wrong way...In this process, they will deal crippling blows to 2 fellow BCS conference members...For what? More money? Power? Prestige? Well, I say that its time to make a stand. One that would be painful in the short term but one that would make a point. Any mix below would hit the Big 10 where it hurts.

1) Every other D1 football school shuns playing Big 10 schools in any situation. Make it a contract amongst ourselves. Pay your way out of any games scheduled at their place. With no non-conference opponents with a pulse, it crushes them in the computers for the BCS title and in some cases eligibility for bowl games.

Now some schools such as ISU may be stuck by their states that demand they play in-state opponents..In that case, we take it to DefCon2

2) Kick all of the Big 11 schools(including the traitors from the Big 12 and Big East) out of the NCAA...IF that doesn't fly, everybody else pulls out...we then make pitches to the smaller conferences including the basketball ones to come with us...would you rather stay with the majority or 14-16 elitists jerks with(at that point) only the Big 11 network.

Leaving them on an island alone messes up Bowl games(no opponents) and when it comes to NCAA tourney time, no place to go. No non-conference opponents in basketball further destroys their credibility.

Sure this seems drastic(kind of like Napalming a cornfield to kill the bugs) and never would happen due to the spineless weasels that run our universities but dang its nice to think about...

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 1

GREED
    Greed is what caused Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska to oppose equal distribution of TV revenue - and it will likely lead to the demise of the very conference they reside in.

Greed is what's causing the Big 10 to poach schools from other conferences - and I believe it could lead to the demise of NCAA athletics because other universities will suffer at the expense of the already rich Big 10.

Michael Douglas was right in Wall Street - greed is king.

Be careful what you wish for, Big 10.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

Quote Originally Posted by flander1649 View Post
    I have been thinking of why the NCAA doesn't step in here and put a cap on the conferences at 12. The minute the big 10 gets to 16 teams the closer the probability of the 4 super conferences forming and them breaking away from the NCAA to have a playoff. ESPN had their alignment the other night on college football live of this. Some of the bigger schools they left out of it are Louisville, Texas Tech, Baylor, Cinn, and ISU. The NCAA needs to come in and stop this by telling the big 10 they can add 1 more team and strongly suggest to ND that it should be them before this thing gets out of had and the NCAA starts loosing money.
    Because as soon as the NCAA begins trying to cap it themselves they guarantee the formation of the super conferences that separate from the NCAA.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 225

I like how you think.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 137

Here's the problem with that. The big 10 has piles of money. Even if some might be willing to boycott playing big 10 teams, the big 10 will just up the paychecks to the schools they play, and that boycott will fall apart.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 39

The Big 10 will expand, deal with it and move on. Until something is concrete I dont think we need 78 more threads about it. Why ***** and moan about it anymore?

May the chips fall where they may. No one knows who they will get or what will be the domino effect, but until something is in place why keep bringing this up.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Here's the problem with that. The big 10 has piles of money. Even if some might be willing to boycott playing big 10 teams, the big 10 will just up the paychecks to the schools they play, and that boycott will fall apart.
    Orrrrr the coalition of schools who don't suck(like the Big 11) come up with a standardized rate to play us...Lets say $1 million plus for a home game and we charge them $400-500K to play at our house...

And with regards to the earlier post...this is may brain on too much caffiene and too little sleep...

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The NCAA is the governing body at the request of the member schools. There were schools before there was an NCAA. It's an organization that among other things polices the asylum because they know collectively they will not abide by the rules...some don't even with the NCAA in place. I think the NCAA is on the clock with the radical realignment that is coming, and what will come out of it is a trimmed down version with less bureaucracy and more $$ going to schools, or there will be a new governing body that fits that bill.

I can certainly understand the distate for the Big Ten from folks that are not a part of it. and I love it that my favorite team is a part of it...so I get that dynamic.

As for the not playing the Big Ten in out of league games...I just don't think you will see the Pac 10 go along with that...and the Big Ten and Pac 10 will still have the Rose Bowl...and the other bowl games that are basically chamber of commerce revenue events for cities around the coasts and the south will not comply, because they want the huge alumni bases and fan followings of the Big Ten to come to their cities.

MAC schools will not turn down the big paydays to play Big Ten schools, either. Or the Big Ten can just schedule games against member schools in an expanded league, sell advertising, play for the Rose Bowl, fill out other attractive bowl games and cash the check.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    As for the not playing the Big Ten in out of league games...I just don't think you will see the Pac 10 go along with that...and the Big Ten and Pac 10 will still have the Rose Bowl...and the other bowl games that are basically chamber of commerce revenue events for cities around the coasts and the south will not comply, because they want the huge alumni bases and fan followings of the Big Ten to come to their cities.

MAC schools will not turn down the big paydays to play Big Ten schools, either. Or the Big Ten can just schedule games against member schools in an expanded league, sell advertising, play for the Rose Bowl, fill out other attractive bowl games and cash the check.
    But the Pac 10 could see this as an opportunity to step out of the Big 10s shadow. Their TV package sucks. the Rose Bowl would have a tough decision to make in a game of hardball...chosing the Big 10 over the local conference would not be the way to go. And sure the MAC could stick with the Big 10...or they could be given the share of the Big 10s BCS money...

Once again, it would never happen...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4

Some of the other conferences (B12) should just pull their head out of their *** and not allow their conferences to implode and then not everyone would want to join the B10. The reason everyone in the B12 wants to bolt is because the B12 didn't take care of their own house.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    The reason everyone in the B12 wants to bolt is because the B12 didn't take care of their own house.
    This is something many are overlooking, in my opinion. If the Big 12 takes a big hit through realignment (and it's sounding like it will) it will have nobody to blame but itself.

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Godfrey View Post
    This is something many are overlooking, in my opinion. If the Big 12 takes a big hit through realignment (and it's sounding like it will) it will have nobody to blame but itself.
    Don't cast the blame on the entire conference. Cast the blame on where it belongs - Texas. ISU has not contributed to this mess in any way.