Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Interesting Read on Dysfunctional Big 12 Conference

    I found this article in the Tulsa World regarding the "hand-wringing" within the Big 12 Conference interesting. One thing the article fails to acknowledge however, is that the Big 8 DID do the dishonest and probation-ridden Texas schools a huge favor by agreeing to form a "new" conference. It also fails to address the arrogance the Texas schools have displayed since the formation of the conference and their unwillingness to consider the opinions and wishes of the North schools when conference decisions are made. Any conference AD who votes wth the Texas schools on anything of substance, in my opinion, is brain-dead.

    Tulsa World: Big Ten expansion talks fraying nerves of Big 12



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 113,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,747
    Points
    113,081
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

    Re: Interesting Read on Dysfunctional Big 12 Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    I found this article in the Tulsa World regarding the "hand-wringing" within the Big 12 Conference interesting. One thing the article fails to acknowledge however, is that the Big 8 DID do the dishonest and probation-ridden Texas schools a huge favor by agreeing to form a "new" conference. It also fails to address the arrogance the Texas schools have displayed since the formation of the conference and their unwillingness to consider the opinions and wishes of the North schools when conference decisions are made. Any conference AD who votes wth the Texas schools on anything of substance, in my opinion, is brain-dead.
    So why all the panic on here and elsewhere about the prospect of Texas leaving? I'm sure JP is glad to cash our check from Texas' bowl money. Could it be because the Longhorns are the meal ticket for all of us?
    Would there be any similiar Big 12 concern if ISU or K-State were rumored to leave? Uh...no.



  3. #3
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Interesting Read on Dysfunctional Big 12 Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    So why all the panic on here and elsewhere about the prospect of Texas leaving? I'm sure JP is glad to cash our check from Texas' bowl money. Could it be because the Longhorns are the meal ticket for all of us?
    Would there be any similiar Big 12 concern if ISU or K-State were rumored to leave? Uh...no.
    I'm not in a panic at all. As a matter of fact, it would be absolutely fine with me if Texas and Texas A & M left the conference. Those two schools direct most of the decisions made by the Big 12 Conference and it would be wholesome if that were no longer the case.

    Let 'em go. The Conference can survive and thrive without them as long as they get two good replacements.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 38,028, Level: 60
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    acrozier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In van down by the river!
    Posts
    2,595
    Points
    38,028
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Interesting Read on Dysfunctional Big 12 Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    I'm not in a panic at all. As a matter of fact, it would be absolutely fine with me if Texas and Texas A & M left the conference. Those two schools direct most of the decisions made by the Big 12 Conference and it would be wholesome if that were no longer the case.

    Let 'em go. The Conference can survive and thrive without them as long as they get two good replacements.
    Yeh, who the hell is that going to be?



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 404,830, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,085
    Points
    404,830
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 111

    Re: Interesting Read on Dysfunctional Big 12 Conference

    As of 2009
    Population of Texas :24,782,302
    Population of rest of B12: 22,002,600

    And you question why Texas is important to the big 12?



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 11,241, Level: 31
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Stelrs1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee, Iowa
    Posts
    718
    Points
    11,241
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Interesting Read on Dysfunctional Big 12 Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    As of 2009
    Population of Texas :24,782,302
    Population of rest of B12: 22,002,600

    And you question why Texas is important to the big 12?

    That is misleading, Texas also has 10 Division 1 football schools. And if you get outside of Austin there are a LOT of Texans that really dislike UT. The money Texas brings to the table is huge but I disagree with the population comparison.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 404,830, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,085
    Points
    404,830
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 111

    Re: Interesting Read on Dysfunctional Big 12 Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Stelrs1995 View Post
    That is misleading, Texas also has 10 Division 1 football schools. And if you get outside of Austin there are a LOT of Texans that really dislike UT. The money Texas brings to the table is huge but I disagree with the population comparison.
    Where texas goes so goes TAMU. Between the two of those you've probably got the vast majority of texas fans, and more importantly, the whole texas tv audience (in terms of subscribers, as no cable operator will not carry a channel that has those two)



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM