need a profile feature to weed out forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 32,653, Level: 55
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowast8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,135
    Points
    32,653
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 22

    need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Someone let me know if this already exists and where to find it:

    I would LOVE to see a feature in my user settings where I can select which forums are displayed in the Recent Threads list.

    Then, I can turn off "Off Topic" so I don't have to see a full page of threads asking "What's your favorite color", "What's your favorite number", "Best Beer", "Smallest midget", "Worst gift you've ever received", etc...

    I would love to be able to come to this site and see a bunch of threads about ISU. Then, I could still click the "Off Topic" forum from the menu to see them. This would also eliminate the need to automatically drop the "In-State Rivals" threads from the Recent Threads list. Each user would have the ability to select or deselect a group of forums in their user settings to display on the Recent Threads list.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 143,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,250
    Points
    143,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 175

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    Someone let me know if this already exists and where to find it:

    I would LOVE to see a feature in my user settings where I can select which forums are displayed in the Recent Threads list.

    Then, I can turn off "Off Topic" so I don't have to see a full page of threads asking "What's your favorite color", "What's your favorite number", "Best Beer", "Smallest midget", "Worst gift you've ever received", etc...

    I would love to be able to come to this site and see a bunch of threads about ISU. Then, I could still click the "Off Topic" forum from the menu to see them. This would also eliminate the need to automatically drop the "In-State Rivals" threads from the Recent Threads list. Each user would have the ability to select or deselect a group of forums in their user settings to display on the Recent Threads list.
    +1



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 18,045, Level: 40
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    linkshero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    919
    Points
    18,045
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    +1
    I get what you are saying, but....I have been going to team message boards since around 2001. The format that CF has, is probably one of the most successful out there. Especially when you compare it's volume to relative athletic success. IMHO, part of what makes this site successful is the ability to discuss off topic issues. Most boards have that, but not all keep them in the fore front. I think it would be hard to quantify how many people stick around to discuss ISU after going through off topic, but I bet it is significant.


    Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.


  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 143,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,250
    Points
    143,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 175

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    I get what you are saying, but....I have been going to team message boards since around 2001. The format that CF has, is probably one of the most successful out there. Especially when you compare it's volume to relative athletic success. IMHO, part of what makes this site successful is the ability to discuss off topic issues. Most boards have that, but not all keep them in the fore front. I think it would be hard to quantify how many people stick around to discuss ISU after going through off topic, but I bet it is significant.
    True, but I was envisioning this being an optional feature that you'd have to opt-in. Casual users probably wouldn't even know it was there and us long-time users could use it to weed out stuff we want to see less frequently.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 32,653, Level: 55
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowast8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,135
    Points
    32,653
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 22

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    I get what you are saying, but....I have been going to team message boards since around 2001. The format that CF has, is probably one of the most successful out there. Especially when you compare it's volume to relative athletic success. IMHO, part of what makes this site successful is the ability to discuss off topic issues. Most boards have that, but not all keep them in the fore front. I think it would be hard to quantify how many people stick around to discuss ISU after going through off topic, but I bet it is significant.
    I am in no way suggesting the riddance of off topic or even eliminating it from the front "Recent Posts" section for those who like it. I am merely making a suggestion that we have the opportunity to turn it off by selecting the list of forums each individual would like to see displayed in the "Recent Posts" section. Those who enjoy it, and many do, can keep it selected and continue seeing and participating. Those who would like to filter the crap off the front page of the forums, can also do so.

    Win-Win!!



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 34,489, Level: 57
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,890
    Points
    34,489
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 59

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    This would be a really great feature.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 16,551, Level: 39
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    757
    Points
    16,551
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    Someone let me know if this already exists and where to find it:

    I would LOVE to see a feature in my user settings where I can select which forums are displayed in the Recent Threads list.

    Then, I can turn off "Off Topic" so I don't have to see a full page of threads asking "What's your favorite color", "What's your favorite number", "Best Beer", "Smallest midget", "Worst gift you've ever received", etc...

    I would love to be able to come to this site and see a bunch of threads about ISU. Then, I could still click the "Off Topic" forum from the menu to see them. This would also eliminate the need to automatically drop the "In-State Rivals" threads from the Recent Threads list. Each user would have the ability to select or deselect a group of forums in their user settings to display on the Recent Threads list.
    This has been brought up multiple times, with never an answer. I am in favor of it. We don't need to eliminate any forums, just give me the choice of which ones I want in the NEW POSTS.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 223,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,031
    Points
    223,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 834
    Given: 389

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Red..


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 65,309, Level: 79
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,005
    Points
    65,309
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 8

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    This has been brought up multiple times, with never an answer. I am in favor of it. We don't need to eliminate any forums, just give me the choice of which ones I want in the NEW POSTS.
    It all depends on vBulletin (the bulletin board software CF uses). If they have something already available, then great. Otherwise, it has to be designed and coded by hand.

    Not to say that it can't be done, but something like that would take a little time to implement.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 80,745, Level: 88
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,205
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,377
    Points
    80,745
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 16

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    I think that it is never answered because the answer is do not visit this site between April and August if you don't want to see Off Topic.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 734,978, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,077
    Points
    734,978
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,186
    Given: 1,041

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    I think that it is never answered because the answer is do not visit this site between April and August if you don't want to see Off Topic.
    Exactly. I don't know how often other people visit the site, but I'm on often enough that a forum front page like that would seem like a place where time stood still. I never quite got this line of thinking, since you can simply go over to the left and click one button to go directly to football, basketball, or whatever. Is that really too much work?



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 424,108, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,813
    Points
    424,108
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 893
    Given: 425

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Exactly. I don't know how often other people visit the site, but I'm on often enough that a forum front page like that would seem like a place where time stood still. I never quite got this line of thinking, since you can simply go over to the left and click one button to go directly to football, basketball, or whatever. Is that really too much work?
    Exactly.

    Though if we did do this, i wouldnt remove the offtopic section, but in that case I would like to request the option to do the same with the pro sports section, as i couldnt care less about MLB during the summer.



  13. #13
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 505,835, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,793
    Points
    505,835
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 839
    Given: 3,502

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    This has been brought up multiple times, with never an answer. I am in favor of it. We don't need to eliminate any forums, just give me the choice of which ones I want in the NEW POSTS.
    I believe it's on the list of desired features currently. Don't quote me, but I seem to remember back from a long time ago that it would require some fairly detailed custom coding. (This may be obsolete information, or I could be remembering incorrectly, but that's what I seem to remember from previous requests.)


    M 7/09

  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,595, Level: 35
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    beatiowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    346
    Points
    13,595
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Up until a few weeks ago, I was wishing for the same function - to hide all MBB threads.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 880,582, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,787
    Points
    880,582
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,019
    Given: 2,410

    Re: need a profile feature to weed out forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Exactly. I don't know how often other people visit the site, but I'm on often enough that a forum front page like that would seem like a place where time stood still. I never quite got this line of thinking, since you can simply go over to the left and click one button to go directly to football, basketball, or whatever. Is that really too much work?
    This is America, buddy. Give me easy or give me death!


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM