Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Barry Lamar Bonds...

...will soon be the new all-time Home Run King of MLB. Taking away the widely accepted notion that he is personally a *******...what do you think of his baseball career and his accomplishments? How do you feel about the allegations of using performance enhancing substances?

Personally, I have long thought that Bonds is the best offensive player of his generation and one of the best offensive players of all time. His stats tell that story pretty clearly.

As for the steroid allegations (I don't think there has been anything proven at this point), my sense is that they are probably true. But in light of the allegations that a majority of position players and probably an even a greater percentage of pitchers are "juiced" as well, I'm not sure how much this should be held against him.

I'm curious as to your thoughts. Again, we all know the guy is a jerk, so let's keep the discussion to his accomplishments and the issue of performance enhancing substances.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 214

Re: Barry Lamar Bonds...

A "cheater". Period.

I look at using steroid and other illegal substances like it - similar to plagiarism.

Sure, you did something to achieve that output. However, you "cheated" along the way, therefore - your accomplishment is hollow.

Another example would be an employee stealing some idea/function from one employer and taking it to another (employee didn't even create this function/idea). If people don't know, they think it's great. Yet if they're made aware, they won't think nearly as highly of you - even though the results are the same.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 04-30-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    A "cheater". Period.
    I agree he is probably a cheater, just look at his picture when he was 25 until now.
    My personal opinion is if he wasn't such a a-hole to his team mates and reporters his whole career he would have made it past the steroid/hgh negativity. He obviously has talent, the question is where do you draw the line when it comes to other player's cheating?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 31

I admire Barry for everything he has accomplished on the field. There is NO question he is one of the best players of all time....PERIOD. Look at what he has done this year will all eyes on him and being in his 40s. The guy is hitting .362 right now and on a 60HR pace.

He MAY be an a** and he MAY have taken steroids (for a brief period of his 20+ yr career), but regardless...he is a friggin' awesome ballplayer and that is a FACT...plain and simple.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134

Obviously a great player. Great numbers, and probably would have had excellent numbers even without the juice.

Regardless, I think when he breaks the record it's going to be a black eye for the league. He'll blame it on the media as to why people don't embrace him, baseball homers in the media (like Jayson Stark and Peter Gammons) will continually say he hasn't been caught and we should just assume he's clean, etc etc. The fact is that everyone assumes he's dirty, and there is substantial evidence supporting this claim.

Personally it's really not a big deal to me. If someone does great things by cheating, it lessens the accomplishment. He might have the record, but Hank Aaron will have the integrity and respect of his peers and baseball fans. He'll be remembered for being a great ambassador of the game and a good man. Bonds will be a guy that had the record for a while and I imagine he'll be the example propped up when discussing the steriod era.

I think I'd rather be Aaron.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Greatest baseball player of all-time. Hands down! Everybody wonders why he is rude and doesn't do interviews and its because everytime he does, it goes back to steroids. I went to a couple Giants spring training games and Barry was the most polite player on the whole team. Granted it was probably a show but he talked baseball, signed autographs, and told jokes for a half an hour. When Jose Canseco came out with his book, it was funny to see guys like McGwire, Palmeiro, Bagwell, and Boone leave the league. They don't talk about them being on juice because they are white and are media darlings. Hell, Palmeiro tested positive and nobody talks about that.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

From my point of view it's only cheating if you break a rule. Before 2003 there was no rule against using performance enhancing drugs in baseball. It may not have been legal if it was done in the U.S., but it wasn't cheating. I'm not a fan of Bonds the man, but I think it's too bad his on-the-field accomplishments aren't being celebrated more.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    They don't talk about them being on juice because they are white and are media darlings. Hell, Palmeiro tested positive and nobody talks about that.
    Oh great the race card. Is Palmeiro white?

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Like fan22 said, "A cheater. Period." Until he turned into a drug freak, he was one of the best offensive players in the history of the game. But that wasn't good enough.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

Cheater.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Steroids may have been against the law, but it was not against the rules... I would guess half of his home runs have been hit against pitchers on the juice and most of your favorite players, Football and Baseball have done some kind of illegal substance to get ahead... Don't you think its odd that the NFL Players Union wont let them ban HGH? Why do you think Roger Clemens takes off the first half of the year, so he can get his 'pre season workout' out of his system...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134

My other favorite argument, the great "wasn't against the rules" argument. Who gives a crap.

I would guess half of his home runs have been hit against pitchers on the juice and most of your favorite players, Football and Baseball have done some kind of illegal substance to get ahead...
    This might be the case, and this is one of the reasons that I don't like pro sports as much as college sports. Especially pro baseball. While Bonds hasn't been caught by the pathetic testing policy of baseball, it's well documented that he's probably done it. If some of "my favorite players" had done it, they would cease to be some of my favorite players. In fact, I wouldn't like them anymore as a sports figure or a human being.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan65 View Post
    From my point of view it's only cheating if you break a rule. Before 2003 there was no rule against using performance enhancing drugs in baseball. It may not have been legal if it was done in the U.S., but it wasn't cheating. I'm not a fan of Bonds the man, but I think it's too bad his on-the-field accomplishments aren't being celebrated more.
    Baseball didn't have a written rule about it, but steroids are and were illegal at the time in this country. Is that good enough for you?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Baseball didn't have a written rule about it, but steroids are and were illegal at the time in this country. Is that good enough for you?
    No. What if Sosa went to another country during the off-season to train and use steroids? (Not saying he did. Just a hypothetical.) Would that be OK then?

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Steroids never enhanced his second-to-none hand-eye coordination. With that said, they DID benefit his power. I guarantee he isn't approaching 755 if he didn't do steroids.

Regardless of all that, I still enjoy watching him and always have. He's one of those rare guys that, in any given at bat, can do something special. Without all this steroid stuff, he'd be considered baseball's Michael Jordan. He and McGwire did amazing things to bring the game where it is today after the strike.