Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Some thoughts on Jon Miller's (failed) show

We're getting close to one year into the failed Jon Miller experiment.

I've tried listening but have stopped recently. There's just too much of a hawk feel to the show:

* Content seems to run about 75% hawk v. 25% ISU.
    * Callers run about 95% hawk v. 5% ISU. When the content doesn't have much of an ISU angle, where's the incentive for ISU fans to call?
    * Little to no ISU homework. Jon uses his hawk background to do a nice job when talking about Iowa. But he simply has no insight into the ISU athletics department. I think the problem here is laziness, he simply can't or won't get any regular ISU voice on his show.

I didn't catch today's show, but based on past efforts, I expect it went something like this during the 3 o'clock hour: "These hawks were drafted. These hawks weren't. Those hawks that weren't have signed free agent deals with XXX and Jon then talks for the next 5 minutes. One 'Cloney' was drafted. I don't have any solid information on free agent 'Cloneys.' If you do, call me. I'm learning to play the intro to Whole Lotta Love on my guitar."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134

Re: Some thoughts on Jon Miller's (failed) show

I don't mind Jon's show. I just don't listen to much Sports talk radio anymore, and honestly, my life is better for it. It'll just **** you off.

If Cyclone fans want to hear more Cyclone talk on that show, why wouldn't they just call more?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,398
    Given: 656

I really don't mind Jon's show. Every once in a while he goes into one of those misty eyed, Hawk fight song playing in the background rants, and then I flip to something else for a while.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I don't mind Jon's show. I think he has done a good job. What do you expect...he is a Hawk fan. I have heard some good Cylclone interviews and talk. He had some good wrestling coverage after the NCAA's...etc. It is no more a Hawk lean then a Cyclone lean when Deace was doing the show. Who knows when JM moves on to "bigger and Better things" maybe Brett Blum will take over and then all the Hawk fans will complain....

Last edited by RedStorm; 04-30-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

You know, I like Jon's show, I listen atleast 3 times a week, but my only beef with his show is his lack of sports talk/knowledge outside of the Hawkeyes. He rarely talks NBA, MLB, NFL occasionally, and when he does, it's usually saying how much he dislikes it. It's at times a "Cy-Hawk" overload but that seems to be his theme while M&M tackle local and professional sports.(and do a great job IMO). He's a little too much of a family man for my taste as well. Not that it's a bad thing, but this is sports talk radio. I really don't need to know what religious message his daughter had for him at lunch. It was his first year at the mic and for a rookie year, I thought he did OK. He certainly deserves another year IMO.

If this were Madden 07, I'd rate him like 70 overall with potential to improve.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Jon has a good show. Far better than the one in the AM or the one directly following him. It may be pro-Hawk - but the man can be objective too. Plus, he has a spine and doesn't yell at you.

If Ken Miller was solo or had a different co-host, well - that would be a different story.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

i also like his show, he is a hawk fan first, cant blame the guy for that, but he has done a good job doin his best to support iowa state as well, what more can u ask, what it really comes down to, is if u dont like it, just dont listen to it... no 1 is forcing u 2..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

The hawk love around here is a little interesting. Closet hawk fans, perhaps?

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    We're getting close to one year into the failed Jon Miller experiment.

I've tried listening but have stopped recently. There's just too much of a hawk feel to the show:

* Content seems to run about 75% hawk v. 25% ISU.
    * Callers run about 95% hawk v. 5% ISU. When the content doesn't have much of an ISU angle, where's the incentive for ISU fans to call?
    * Little to no ISU homework. Jon uses his hawk background to do a nice job when talking about Iowa. But he simply has no insight into the ISU athletics department. I think the problem here is laziness, he simply can't or won't get any regular ISU voice on his show.

I didn't catch today's show, but based on past efforts, I expect it went something like this during the 3 o'clock hour: "These hawks were drafted. These hawks weren't. Those hawks that weren't have signed free agent deals with XXX and Jon then talks for the next 5 minutes. One 'Cloney' was drafted. I don't have any solid information on free agent 'Cloneys.' If you do, call me. I'm learning to play the intro to Whole Lotta Love on my guitar."

Not sure what you expect out of the JON MILLER SHOW. I dislike the Hawk angle as much as the next guy, but as was stated earlier, it is a much better show than ********* and Miller.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Jon has a show??? (Sarcasim)

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is a bad show. I listened today for the first time in 9 months. If he still has a show in 9 months I might try it again. I take that back, if he has a show after we beat them here in Ames I will listen the following Monday.

Local radio is a joke get a satelite reciever. Locals give us garbage time coverage anyway so you are not missing anything by not hearing them. Just my opinion obviously.

Cy Created by MC Doder

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I don't mind Jon's show. I just don't listen to much Sports talk radio anymore, and honestly, my life is better for it. It'll just **** you off.

If Cyclone fans want to hear more Cyclone talk on that show, why wouldn't they just call more?
    I don't know. How come more African-Americans don't join the KKK? How come more Catholics don't celebrate Margaret Sanger's birthday?

Why would a REAL Cyclone Fan pay any attention at all to what some Squawk shill says? Especially when he tends to be sophomorically deprecating toward the Cyclones, as well as boring as dry white toast?

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I occasionally listen to Miller's show. I would say it is just okay. I find Jon to be somewhat smug and arrogant. I do not find him to be very insightful.

For those who have replied with "what do you expect". I would say if Jon Miller is attempting to be sucessful as a media/radio personality, I would expect unbiased, fair and balanced coverage of sports in Iowa and nationally. I realize it is a local show but that is not an excuse to be an Iowa homer. I do not hear Kotlar, Marty or Miller dedicating the majority of their shows to their favorite teams. Kotlar talks about the Cards and a little about Missouri but not overboard. None of the current radio personalities can hold a candle to Deace.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We've had this discussion quite a few times on here. But, I'll say it again.

If Jon can't be unbiased, which he can't, then he needs a co host who bleeds cardinal and gold. The show's ratings would improve quite a bit from whatever they are.

But, as has been said, just don't listen. I gave up on him quite a while ago.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 38

Who listens to sports talk radio in the summer? There are no sports to talk about. Jon will be interesting in the fall when football is going on. The guy knows his stuff, and even for a hawk, he portrays both sides in a positive light.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775