Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Site Rules

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 164,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,954
    Points
    164,585
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 46

    Site Rules

    There seems more and more banishment's on CF over the past couple of months. This begs the question, why aren't there black and white rules for posting? I mean, you could rummage around for hours trying to find the little tidbits posted here and there and MAYBE you'll find an answer to your question. Of the 4 or 5 forums that I belong to, this is the only one that doesn't have a direct link TO EVERY SINGLE RULE about posting. I'll give you a perfect example. I've been a member of ls1gto.com for nearly 4 years, my longest standing forum membership, and I've never not known what what acceptable and what was not. Here is the first page that you come to when you enter ls1gto.com...

    2004-2006 GTO Source (notice the only link in green?)

    Now, this is what you see when you click on that high-speed, green link...

    LS1GTO.com Forums

    Pretty amazing stuff, eh? Maybe I just have a higher standard because this is what I started with, but to me, it just makes sense. Hell, I bet you could copy and paste some of their rules over here. I'm not talking about reinventing the wheel. What this does is eliminates the gray area. There seems to be a negative slant towards certain posters on CF and this can help put that fire out.

    This is just my suggestion, but I think most here can agree that a well-defined set of site rules needs to be easily accessible. A simple link on the left-hand side would suffice. Discuss.



  2. #2
    Publisher
    Points: 771,317, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,787
    Points
    771,317
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 125

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    There seems more and more banishment's on CF over the past couple of months. This begs the question, why aren't there black and white rules for posting? I mean, you could rummage around for hours trying to find the little tidbits posted here and there and MAYBE you'll find an answer to your question. Of the 4 or 5 forums that I belong to, this is the only one that doesn't have a direct link TO EVERY SINGLE RULE about posting. I'll give you a perfect example. I've been a member of ls1gto.com for nearly 4 years, my longest standing forum membership, and I've never not known what what acceptable and what was not. Here is the first page that you come to when you enter ls1gto.com...

    2004-2006 GTO Source (notice the only link in green?)

    Now, this is what you see when you click on that high-speed, green link...

    LS1GTO.com Forums

    Pretty amazing stuff, eh? Maybe I just have a higher standard because this is what I started with, but to me, it just makes sense. Hell, I bet you could copy and paste some of their rules over here. I'm not talking about reinventing the wheel. What this does is eliminates the gray area. There seems to be a negative slant towards certain posters on CF and this can help put that fire out.

    This is just my suggestion, but I think most here can agree that a well-defined set of site rules needs to be easily accessible. A simple link on the left-hand side would suffice. Discuss.
    Thanks Stewo. This is a project that I am currently working on. I'm not going to copy/paste anything though. We are our own entity so we'll have our own rules. I appreciate the feedback.



  3. #3
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CTAClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    9,218
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Thanks Stewo. This is a project that I am currently working on. I'm not going to copy/paste anything though. We are our own entity so we'll have our own rules. I appreciate the feedback.
    FWIW. The link to the site rules was lost in one of the server moves and I know CW and the owners are working diligently to update the site rules and get the link back up.


    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 727,584, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    46,996
    Points
    727,584
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 558

    Re: Site Rules

    I think it would keep everyone in line if they dropped the ban hammer on whoever used the secret word each day. Kind of like Pee Wee's Playhouse, with an evil twist.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 164,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,954
    Points
    164,585
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 46

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Thanks Stewo. This is a project that I am currently working on. I'm not going to copy/paste anything though. We are our own entity so we'll have our own rules. I appreciate the feedback.
    Good to hear. I'm going to propose something to you then. The bans, perma or temp, over the last few weeks be lifted. The reason being, I think, obvious.



  6. #6
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CTAClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    9,218
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Good to hear. I'm going to propose something to you then. The bans, perma or temp, over the last few weeks be lifted. The reason being, I think, obvious.
    Really? Site rules were up in 2008 when you've joined and everyone is well aware of what they did wrong. If not they can PM me.


    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 89,835, Level: 93
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,400
    Points
    89,835
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Really? Site rules were up in 2008 when you've joined and everyone is well aware of what they did wrong. If not they can PM me.
    Can you PM when you're banned?


    "Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

    -Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 164,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,954
    Points
    164,585
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 46

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Really? Site rules were up in 2008 when you've joined and everyone is well aware of what they did wrong. If not they can PM me.
    Roger, but do you remember what you read in 2008? Now, I'm not an idiot. I know right from wrong, but site rules will be different at every message board. Also, to have to PM a mod about something being right or wrong, is the wrong answer. That's like calling a police officer about what he can and cannot do while I'm in his town.



  9. #9
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 224,965, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,151
    Points
    224,965
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 325

    Re: Site Rules

    Even if the rules aren't clear or linked clearly, that doesn't excuse people for lack of common sense. Some posts are just obviously offensive or not needed on this site. Other posts, I can understand if people are upset if the posts are in the gray area.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Site Rules

    I'm just glad there is ban talk going on and I wasn't involved for once.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 47,328, Level: 67
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,485
    Points
    47,328
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 2

    Re: Site Rules

    I have not noticed anyone getting banned lately nor have I ever read the site rules. That being said the rules need to be consistent but be applied in special places. I think more could be done and more has been done in the past few weeks to combat the people bringing basketball problems into everything, that and all the personal attacking done on here is sickening at times.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 164,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,954
    Points
    164,585
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 46

    Re: Site Rules

    This was suggested to me by one of my cohorts. I think it's a marvelous idea. Institute an 18 and older, off-topic forum that has very little moderation, still uses the language filters and only registered users can view the content. This can EASILY be done. SEE: Social Groups.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,341, Level: 79
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    3,985
    Points
    65,341
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 294

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I'm just glad there is ban talk going on and I wasn't involved for once.
    I was worried when I first read this topic...thought I might be going a few days without reading GC's commentary! Hate those days!



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 89,835, Level: 93
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,400
    Points
    89,835
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    Even if the rules aren't clear or linked clearly, that doesn't excuse people for lack of common sense. Some posts are just obviously offensive or not needed on this site. Other posts, I can understand if people are upset if the posts are in the gray area.
    I think this is where the big concern factors in. People know when they are being over the top and just "asking for it", but those gray areas stir the controversy.


    "Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

    -Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Site Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Really? Site rules were up in 2008 when you've joined and everyone is well aware of what they did wrong. If not they can PM me.
    You can? I've been sent to timeout for a couple of one-week stretches, and I wasn't able to do that. It was only after time expired that I was able to contact the MOD in question.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM