Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Has anyone heard how profitable the MWC Network is?

Just curious if anyone knows or can find what kind of subscriber fees the Mountain West Conference is able to charge viewers in their states on the cable, satellite deals?

Or has anyone heard or can find out what the payout per school has been?

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

Re: Has anyone heard how profitable the MWC Network is?

I dont ever see their numbers mentioned with the big 10 or sec's numbers... that is a good question, and would probably answer some underlying questions as to why we dont have a network. The Big 10 brought in $275 million last year i believe... the same the Pac 10 made in tv contracts in 5 years combined! insane.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

it's called "The Mtn" - whatever. :)

But from what writers i've read recently (and S Mandel comes to mind) they all say it's the worst TV deal out there in college right now, that it doesn't really bring anything to the schools other than exposure. It's not very available outside of the region either.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

My info is a little dated but I used to live in Albuquerque (ABQ), New Mexico (NM) when "The MTN" was formed. It was and I believe still is pretty much irrelevant on the national scene and as someone mentioned the worst TV deal out there. When it first came out, the ONLY way to get it was by purchasing a sports package and ONLY on Sat TV. In ABQ, Comcast cable owns the market and Comcast didn't even carry MTN. So even if you had cable TV and even were willing to pay a premium to get the upgraded sports package you still couldn't get to watch any of the mountain west games. The people in NM were ****** because most of the state couldn't even get Lobo games anymore. I believe they were available on Direct TV but not Dish too. However, I think that has changed though and it is more widely available now but still not universal. I also believe the coverage is still limited to the unpopulated west and east coasters (i.e. population centers) pretty much ignore it. That is why the amount paid to the conference schools is so low.

There were also complaints about the game coverage too. Like practically every Utah and BYU game was on but none of the games of the lower tiered teams (like Univ of NM) were ever carried. That brought on comments like its the LDS network, kinda like how Notre Dame has its own network.

In general, people hated "The MTN" and I don't think much has changed in that regard. Oh, and this is from a state team that actually is in the Mountain West Conference. The rest of the country pretty much ignores it.

I hope you don't take offense about the LDS comment because that's not what I intended. I'm just telling you what what I heard.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

well then here is wishing we never end up in the mountain west conference... nebraska, and missour are crucial to ISUs staying at least a little interesting when it comes to football...

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 56

A lot of misinformed people get all up in arms because there is no B12 network and yet the MWC has a network...and obviously that must mean the MTN is a great channel for college football. Apparently those people only have cable or something and they don't know that the MTN airs very few live football games. perhaps 2 over the weekend?

They get their share of re-airs later in the week, but you can watch just as much women's volleyball live as you can football on that station.

Based off that info, I'd say the MWC leaves a lot to be desired in many areas.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Yeah....the MWC couldn't hold the BTN's jock....they really aren't even comparable. The Big 12 would be better off not having a network than having the TV deal that the MWC has.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

I live in Wyoming, and get it in my sports package through my cable company . . .

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post
    My info is a little dated but I used to live in Albuquerque (ABQ), New Mexico (NM) when "The MTN" was formed. It was and I believe still is pretty much irrelevant on the national scene and as someone mentioned the worst TV deal out there. When it first came out, the ONLY way to get it was by purchasing a sports package and ONLY on Sat TV. In ABQ, Comcast cable owns the market and Comcast didn't even carry MTN. So even if you had cable TV and even were willing to pay a premium to get the upgraded sports package you still couldn't get to watch any of the mountain west games. The people in NM were ****** because most of the state couldn't even get Lobo games anymore. I believe they were available on Direct TV but not Dish too. However, I think that has changed though and it is more widely available now but still not universal. I also believe the coverage is still limited to the unpopulated west and east coasters (i.e. population centers) pretty much ignore it. That is why the amount paid to the conference schools is so low.

There were also complaints about the game coverage too. Like practically every Utah and BYU game was on but none of the games of the lower tiered teams (like Univ of NM) were ever carried. That brought on comments like its the LDS network, kinda like how Notre Dame has its own network.

In general, people hated "The MTN" and I don't think much has changed in that regard. Oh, and this is from a state team that actually is in the Mountain West Conference. The rest of the country pretty much ignores it.

I hope you don't take offense about the LDS comment because that's not what I intended. I'm just telling you what what I heard.
    I beleive The Mtn is owned by Comcast. Is that a new arrangement?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,454
    Given: 1,245

Don't we have the same TV deal as the MWC, just without our own network?

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    A lot of misinformed people get all up in arms because there is no B12 network and yet the MWC has a network...and obviously that must mean the MTN is a great channel for college football. Apparently those people only have cable or something and they don't know that the MTN airs very few live football games. perhaps 2 over the weekend?

They get their share of re-airs later in the week, but you can watch just as much women's volleyball live as you can football on that station.

Based off that info, I'd say the MWC leaves a lot to be desired in many areas.
    I remember watching the ISU-UNLV game on the MTN a couple of years back - I don't look forward to the day when I'd have to watch all the games on that channel...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 287

I will watch basically any sporting event on the Big 10 network basically because it is high quality HD.

The MTN has horrible picture. I watched several bball games and football games on it last year, but it was painful due to picture quality.

Iowa is so lucky to have all their sports broadcasted in such high quality HD.