Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 125

Golfer Gives Title Away

When losing a golf tournament really makes you a winner - Devil Ball Golf - Golf Blog - Yahoo! Sports

What do you think about this story? I would rather of missed a putt then to purposely hit a ball 40 yards out of bounds. That way you still make the other guy think he won than to know he really just was handed the tournament.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 101

Re: Golfer Gives Title Away

Quote Originally Posted by TruClone View Post
    When losing a golf tournament really makes you a winner - Devil Ball Golf - Golf Blog - Yahoo! Sports

What do you think about this story? I would rather of missed a putt then to purposely hit a ball 40 yards out of bounds. That way you still make the other guy think he won than to know he really just was handed the tournament.
    Yeah, if I was the other guy I'd be ******. The "good" guy never once indicated that he may have lost the playoff if he had tried.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Yeah, if I was the other guy I'd be ******. The "good" guy never once indicated that he may have lost the playoff if he had tried.
    That's what I was thinking. Would be better to miss a putt later if you were in position to win the hole. The way he did it made it look like he was sure he'd win the hole. The other guy could have easily beat him straight up. They were tied after all, sort of indicates they are comparable players. I'll say good gesture, bad execution.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 145

I think the picture of the guy on the left looks like Steve Deace's younger brother.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

He didn't do the other guy any favors. If I were the other guy, I'd be pretty upset and I think even maybe embarrassed about it........like I couldn't win the thing on my own, someone had to throw it for me.

If you want to "lose" like that......then at least be subtle about it....miss your approach shot or miss a couple of putts, and then don't say anything about it.

What is even worse is how now this guy is being praised as some sort of noble hero by the media........WTF? How is this noble? He is the one getting the attention, and now, thanks to the media looking like some kind of honorable hero. In the end, he just made the other guy look like a loser, no matter what he says. Stupid.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Ehh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The kid probably just thought.. "why take up effectively two spots? I'm going anyway, why not let somebody else go too."

And if he personally knew the other kid, why not?

Good for him. Instead of focusing on what the other kid may feel about how he got the spot, we probably should be applauding the other young man who seems to be missing the "it's all about me" gene so prevelant today.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Ehh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The kid probably just thought.. "why take up effectively two spots? I'm going anyway, why not let somebody else go too."

And if he personally knew the other kid, why not?

Good for him. Instead of focusing on what the other kid may feel about how he got the spot, we probably should be applauding the other young man who seems to be missing the "it's all about me" gene so prevelant today.
    Um, in golf it is "all about me". When you personally do well yourself it then makes the team do well. I hope the kid he gave the match to kicks his arse in the NAIA National Championship.

Last edited by TruClone; 05-06-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Still hate the hawks!

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

He should have just 5 putted. Hitting it OB and having to reload taks a lot more time.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Um, in golf it is "all about me". When you personally do well yourself it then makes the team do well. I hope the kid he gave the match to kicks his arse in the NAIA National Championship.
    "Umm", I'm aware of how golf is played. Just because it's it's an individual sport, doesn't mean it's "all about me". But I see the gene is alive and well. Thank you.

The team had already done well and qualified. This was the individual qualifier. I'm not sure how this affects "the team" at all.

He may come to regret it. Then again, perhaps he's just that confident in his ability to win at nationals.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

This is why I love the game of golf. It's more then just a game. It is a testament to people with honor, integrity, and honesty. A guy at the Heritage a few weeks back called a penalty on himself in a sudden death playoff with Jim Furyk and cost himself a chance to win. Hell, they had to show a replay in slow motion just to be able to see that in fact an infraction had occurred but the guy immediately called over a rules official to inform him that he had in fact committed a penalty. Is anybody surprised that this kid would give a fellow competitor his dream shot at playing at Nationals as a senior when he himself had already qualified and the only thing to gain was to kill his competitors dream? It doesn't surprise me at all. The kid showed great sportsmanship and a ton of class doing what he did. It was a great show of respect for a fellow competitor who he thought was deserving of the chance to advance to nationals. It was a classy move.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    "Umm", I'm aware of how golf is played. Just because it's it's an individual sport, doesn't mean it's "all about me". But I see the gene is alive and well. Thank you.

The team had already done well and qualified. This was the individual qualifier. I'm not sure how this affects "the team" at all.

He may come to regret it. Then again, perhaps he's just that confident in his ability to win at nationals.
    Since the team had already qualified, why did he not just forfeit the match to start with instead of going all the way to a playoff. Put yourself in the other kid's shoes. Does he enjoy knowing that he really did not win, that he was given the match.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 39

Would never do it. Never ever. I am far too competetive for that. I can understand it and I do respect someone who would do something like this. The reson I wouldn't do it is because what if that kid beats me at Nationals and I get 2nd. That would **** me off.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 39

Since the team had already qualified, why did he not just forfeit the match to start with instead of going all the way to a playoff. Put yourself in the other kid's shoes. Does he enjoy knowing that he really did not win, that he was given the match.
    I don't think it was about winning. It was about getting to the next level.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

That I don't have an answer for. Perhaps it wasn't really an option (started before team qualified type of thing). Maybe the match ahead of them is what put them over the top.

I don't really care, but I heard this a bit on Mike & Mike this morning - and I don't think the kid should be villified for it.

Now I do agree he probably could've done it in less dramatic/obvious fashion. Shanked it short, miss the putt. Whatever.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    This is why I love the game of golf. It's more then just a game. It is a testament to people with honor, integrity, and honesty. A guy at the Heritage a few weeks back called a penalty on himself in a sudden death playoff with Jim Furyk and cost himself a chance to win. Hell, they had to show a replay in slow motion just to be able to see that in fact an infraction had occurred but the guy immediately called over a rules official to inform him that he had in fact committed a penalty. Is anybody surprised that this kid would give a fellow competitor his dream shot at playing at Nationals as a senior when he himself had already qualified and the only thing to gain was to kill his competitors dream? It doesn't surprise me at all. The kid showed great sportsmanship and a ton of class doing what he did. It was a great show of respect for a fellow competitor who he thought was deserving of the chance to advance to nationals. It was a classy move.
    The "classy" move would have not said anything about it, if he did indeed purposefully lose it OB.

Seems to me, the kid is trying to save face at the expense of the other kid.

If this was his intention, good for him, but I think calling attention to his motives is ********.