• Stay in the Big 12 only if North teams replace those that left

14 23.33%
  • Form a new conference with old Big 8 School and others

8 13.33%
  • Join the Mountain West

3 5.00%
  • Do everything to join the Big 10 before other options

23 38.33%
  • Join a different conference (other than Mountain West/Big10)

0 0%
    Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

If the Big 12 Loses Nebraska, Mizzu and Colo

Ok, so we have all of these threads, but what would you like to see ISU do if the Big 12 loses Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado?

To explain the Big 12 options. For the 1st option I meant that the big 12 is likely to add southern teams. Should ISU stay in that situation? For the 2nd option I'm saying the Big 12 adds teams like Cincinatti Arkansas (sort of a north team), instead of say TCU. ISU could stay in that situation. The 3rd is if ISU separates itself from the Texas schools, goes with KU, KState, Ok St, OK and go out to form their own conference.

Last edited by galactawitz; 05-05-2010 at 10:59 AM.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 141

Re: If the Big 12 Loses Nebraska, Mizzu and Colo

I hate to be critical, but this poll is really not useful for several reasons:

#1 the "north" couldn't exist any longer if 3 teams left it (and they weren't replaced) so how is that option different than the first one?
    #2 the 3 teams leaving are almost half of the old Big 8, so that isn't really a valid option
    #3 the best outcome for ISU is to join the Big 10. There is no downside to this. The problem: there is very little chance of the Big Ten being interested in adding us so what is the "everything" we could do to even tip the needle in our favor? In other words, your poll asks "what ISU should (do)" but in reality, there is nothing we can do to gain the Big Ten's acceptance so is this really a valid choice/option?

CCG

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    I hate to be critical, but this poll is really not useful for several reasons:

#1 the "north" couldn't exist any longer if 3 teams left it (and they weren't replaced) so how is that option different than the first one?
    #2 the 3 teams leaving are almost half of the old Big 8, so that isn't really a valid option
    #3 the best outcome for ISU is to join the Big 10. There is no downside to this. The problem: there is very little chance of the Big Ten being interested in adding us so what is the "everything" we could do to even tip the needle in our favor? In other words, your poll asks "what ISU should (do)" but in reality, there is nothing we can do to gain the Big Ten's acceptance so is this really a valid choice/option?
    I don't have a problem with being criticized. The reason I created the pole is to just to get people's opinions. We have had a ton of threads over the past 3 months on the topic, but no polls that I recall.

What by the Big 12 options. For the 1st I meant that the big 12 is likely to add southern teams. Should ISU stay in that situation? For the 2nd option I'm saying the Big 12 adds teams like Cincinatti Arkansas (sort of a north team), instead of say TCU. ISU could stay in that situation. The 3rd is if ISU separates itself from the Texas schools, goes with KU, KState, Ok St, OK and go out to form their own conference.

I know it was a little confusing, but the best I could do with character limitations.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 611
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 4

I don't think it is a matter of what ISU should do in the even of conference realignment. Rather what the realistic options are, and god only knows what those will be.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 28

Didn't vote; I'd have to know if we'd be in an AQ conference if I'm voting. Any way you slice it I think realignment is very bad for ISU. I don't see us ending up in a conference w/ an AQ unless we stay in the B12 and it just replaces teams...

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,038
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 106

If you were the commissioner of the MWC wouldn't you be in negociations with ISU, KU and K-State? The MWC currently has 9 schools and with all the talk of them losing Utah to the Pac-10 it would be a move to help keep Utah and BYU for that matter in the conference. Maybe the MWC commissioner is more proactive than the Big 12's.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

I know it's extremely unlikely, but I'm of the opinion that if the "apocalypse" happens, ISU needs to do everything within its power to get itself an invite into the Big 10. Spend whatever political capital ISU has. Convince Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and possibly even Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, and Michigan St to support the cause. Work with Missouri, Nebraska, and possibly Kansas to try to get a package deal worked out. If the "Big 10 Hockey Conference" rumor from another thread is correct, guarantee the conference you'll assist with that goal by creating a D-I hockey team as a stipulation of invitation. Do whatever it takes.

I know this is extremely unlikely, as the only thing ISU can offer to the Big 10 is tangibles (decent education, better than the rest of the Big 12 schools being seriously considered, and a decent overall athletic department rated in the top 25 of whatever the hell that _____ Cup is - I forget off the top of my head) - we don't offer the TV sets or $$$ that the other schools would bring in. All I know is JP had better have been working on this since the ACC expansion, because if he has only started working on those inroads now we would have no shot as opposed to the extremely remote shot that we have now.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The b-12 sorely needs a very strong leader at this moment...assuming it is not already too late. The Y in the road for the b-12 came several yrs ago when they opted to wait to see how the b-10 tv deal would work out instead of pursuing a similar avenue for themselves. Now the options have narrowed. The soon to be mega conferences will have the eyeballs & the $ and will dictate the rules....like it or not. The b-12 needs to move and fast.