Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,023, Level: 34
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    294
    Points
    13,023
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    It really feels like ISU is held captive right now just like the schools I mentioned above in the old SWC days. The league becomes irrelevant without Texas but is also held hostage by Texas by not adding a network, Texas determining revenue splits, until Texas decides it will better benefit by bolting to the Big 10, Pac 10 or going independent.

    Is there any way around this? Its hard to find a way not to be held captive and be left twisting in the wind.

    The only way I could see the league getting control back is convincing Nebraska to stay and for Nebraska and Oklahoma to become the elite teams, and sell those two as the league again. Also, if it was able to keep Texas A&M in the event Texas left to keep the Texas market, or see if there is a combo of Texas A&M, Houston, etc that keeps the Texas markets. Then look to add some bigger markets from schools like Temple, Pitt., Cincinnati, etc.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 20,288, Level: 43
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    greatshu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    1,736
    Points
    20,288
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 13

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Do we need to make another separate thread about this? sigh...



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,768, Level: 73
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,642
    Points
    56,768
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 23

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Take a gander at one of the dozens of other threads on the same topic and you might find some additional insight.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 71,371, Level: 82
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JonDMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,522
    Points
    71,371
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post
    The only way I could see the league getting control back is convincing Nebraska to stay and for Nebraska and Oklahoma to become the elite teams, and sell those two as the league again. Also, if it was able to keep Texas A&M in the event Texas left to keep the Texas market, or see if there is a combo of Texas A&M, Houston, etc that keeps the Texas markets. Then look to add some bigger markets from schools like Temple, Pitt., Cincinnati, etc.
    Oklahoma and Nebraska combined have 5.5 million people. Missouri alone has nearly 6mil. All of this is about stockpiling revenue...be it research grants, or television revenue. Oklahoma and Nebraska are nice second and third options for expansion, or maybe even third and fourth, because of what they bring in football. But outside of that, from a television perspective, they don't have much cache. Nor does the state of Iowa for that matter.

    Temple is not a football market and its in a state where Penn State and Pitt are #1. Cincy is in the middle of the BUCKEYE State, and its a city school.

    Texas holds all the cards..that's why they won't yield anything to help the rest of the Big 12 because with or without the Big 12, they are going to be fine.


    'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 128,498, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,941
    Points
    128,498
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 102

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    I have said for weeks ISU needs to join the MWC, they have their own channel, BYU Utah and us would be the "big boys" of the conference, they will have an AQ for the BCS by next year or the year after, and KU KSU would jump if too I believe.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 128,498, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,941
    Points
    128,498
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 102

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Quote Originally Posted by greatshu View Post
    Do we need to make another separate thread about this? sigh...
    If you dont respond, it will go away, and quit ********!



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,768, Level: 73
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,642
    Points
    56,768
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 23

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Texas holds all the cards..that's why they won't yield anything to help the rest of the Big 12 because with or without the Big 12, they are going to be fine.
    Texas is the unstoppable force. Does the Big 10 really want Texas? It would really change the dynamic of the Big 10, much more so than adding schools from northern states. Ohio State and Michigan step aside.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 483,297, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,475
    Points
    483,297
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 630

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    I have said for weeks ISU needs to join the MWC, they have their own channel, BYU Utah and us would be the "big boys" of the conference, they will have an AQ for the BCS by next year or the year after, and KU KSU would jump if too I believe.
    And yet ISU would be in an even worse revenue position than they are now, because even if/when the MWC becomes BCS they just do not have the population to draw the kind of revenues that even the Big 12 does.

    Joining the MWC should only be the option that comes before joining the MAC.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 34,993, Level: 57
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,253
    Points
    34,993
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 100

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post
    It really feels like ISU is held captive right now just like the schools I mentioned above in the old SWC days. The league becomes irrelevant without Texas but is also held hostage by Texas by not adding a network, Texas determining revenue splits, until Texas decides it will better benefit by bolting to the Big 10, Pac 10 or going independent.

    Is there any way around this? Its hard to find a way not to be held captive and be left twisting in the wind.

    The only way I could see the league getting control back is convincing Nebraska to stay and for Nebraska and Oklahoma to become the elite teams, and sell those two as the league again. Also, if it was able to keep Texas A&M in the event Texas left to keep the Texas market, or see if there is a combo of Texas A&M, Houston, etc that keeps the Texas markets. Then look to add some bigger markets from schools like Temple, Pitt., Cincinnati, etc.
    If Texas left and Nebraska and Okalahoma stays, ill still love the league... If Nebraska leaves, the league is done for. simply because we cannot compete with just texas... Nebraska is the key to keeping a good league that has solid mid western ties. Once Neb bolts, the only likeable football team in the league from around here will be us... it will suck... now for basketball isu would still be okay, but for football, sucks.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 42,804, Level: 63
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,165
    Points
    42,804
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 21

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    I've been told from a very reputable source at sports clips that the big 10 is dropping illinois and adding the entire big 12 north



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 257,323, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,847
    Points
    257,323
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 562

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    We can recruit to ISU because we are in the B12. It will be a tough sell if/when we are not.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 483,297, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,475
    Points
    483,297
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 630
    Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    I've been told from a very reputable source at sports clips that the big 10 is dropping illinois and adding the entire big 12 north



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 97,829, Level: 97
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,185
    Points
    97,829
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 516

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Quote Originally Posted by greatshu View Post
    Do we need to make another separate thread about this? sigh...
    Considering realignment has involved articles and discussion about seemingly every combination involving every D1 school west of the Atlantic Ocean, I imagine related threads will keep coming up.

    The topic itself is getting old, I agree, but since nobody knows exactly what will happen (or if 90 percent of it all is irrelevant speculation) it opens itself up to multiple subtopics.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 414,010, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,760
    Points
    414,010
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 304

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    I've heard its already a done deal, ISU will be in the MVC in 2 years, they are just waiting to make it public because they don't want a massive meltdown, similar to what's currently going on.


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 97,829, Level: 97
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,185
    Points
    97,829
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 516

    Re: ISU feels like Rice, TCU, Houston in the SWC days

    Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post
    It really feels like ISU is held captive right now just like the schools I mentioned above in the old SWC days.
    I can't sort out all the expansion scenarios floated about, but the SWC situation did occur to me a while back.

    It came to me when I first heard about the possibility of losing not just Mizzou, but UT and NU to the B11. It's easy to assume the BCS leagues will exist forever (membership may change, but the conference would still continue). But then I thought, oh yeah, the SWC once seemed untouchable, but then imploded with the Big 8/12 expansion.

    Then I thought, uh oh, ISU could be one of those "other teams." Using an example of TCU, they've been in 3 different conferences since the SWC folded. Traditionally speaking, the prospect of that for ISU is depressing.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM