Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

THE END IS NEAR! (LONG)

With all the talk and all the theories out there about the end of times conference realignment, I decided I’d try and wade through the realignment from the BCS conference perspective.

Everyone sees the Big Ten as the lynchpin to the entire realignment cycle. I don’t disagree. However, I do believe that it would be naïve to think that most schools don’t have a contingency plan in place or aren’t forming one right now.

So let’s start! I went of the idea that the Big Televen decides to expand to 16 teams. After trying hard to get Notre Dame, they say to Hell with them and go for Mizzou, Nebraska, Rutgers, Pitt and Syracuse in a scr*w you move to the Irish:

Big 16 (old Big Televen)
    West
    Iowa
    Mizzou
    Nebby
    Illinois

North
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Purdue

Central
    Michigan St.
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Pittsburgh

East
    Ohio St.
    Penn State
    Rutgers
    Syracuse

By selecting those teams, it gives the conference a nice balance east and west and creates some natural rivalries (IA/Mizzou/Nebby/Illinois would certainly be a passionate division… or a bunch of drunks… your choice.) It also gives the conference great breadth and allows them access to major eastern markets. Built for football, the conference would also field a nice men’s basketball set as well.

The Big Televen’s move starts to force the hands of the other conferences and puts contingency plans in motion. As has been reported, the SEC is looking at its options and a very plausible (to me anyway) scenario has been floated on here. Texas, Oklahoma, OK State and aTm are invited to the SEC. The last two are brought at the beheast of the respective states in order to get Texas and OU. The SEC would move to a sixteen team format just like the Big Televen, dominating the southern US and creating a fantastic football conference with solid basketball (men’s and women’s) with the keys to most major southern markets:

SEC
    West
    Texas
    aTm
    Oklahoma
    OK State

Delta
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Vandy
    Tennessee

Deep South
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

East
    Kentucky
    Georgia
    Florida
    South Carolina

Again, the breakdown creates some natural rivalries in each division by grouping state schools together while keeping traditional powers as spread out as possible. Both the East and West divisions would be quite entertaining with OU/UT and Georgia/Florida battling for top dog.

With the departure of half of the Big 12, Colorado would quickly accept a life raft from the Pac 10 as they expand to the Pac 14:

Pac 14
    Pacific
    Washington
    Wazzu
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    California
    Stanford
    Southern Cal

Mountain
    UCLA
    UNLV
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Nevada
    Boise State
    Idaho

While not as flashy as the SEC and (now) Big 16, the Pac 14 expansion would allow for a championship game while bringing in the Las Vegas and Denver markets along with quality teams like Nevada (bball) and Boise State (football) (Idaho gets drug along because the options are limited and it doesn’t sound the like the Pac 10 is real interested in Utah/BYU). The poor stepsister of the conference becomes Idaho, but with time and proper revenue sharing, things could (and should) improve.

Seeing the epic destruction of the Big 12, former Big East schools start to sweat. South Florida would want no part of a juxtaposed conference that leaves in the isolated post of the conference. Instead, South Florida jumps ship to the ACC which would invite West Virginia as well (regional rival, great teams, etc). To keep up with its SEC and Big 16 neighbors, the ACC pulls up UCF and Southern Miss from mid major conferences to form a 16 team conference of its own (remember, the Big East did this the last time around by plucking C-USA to pieces):

ACC
    West
    Southern Miss
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson

Costal
    NC State
    Wake
    North Carolina
    Duke

Southern
    Miami
    Central Florida
    South Florida
    Boston College

Atlantic
    Maryland
    Va Tech
    Virginia
    West Virginia

With conference realignment coming hot and fast, certain schools are left in the cold. Most importantly, Notre Dame. After rebuffing the Big Televen and watching the SEC pluck the best of the Big 12 to fill its line up, Notre Dame finds itself in a less than desirable situation. Remaining independent is no longer a viable option with the Big 16 and Pac 14 filling in what had once been much of the Irish’s schedule. Observing the field, Notre Dame sees 5 former Big 12 schools, UCONN, Cincy and Louisville from the Big East and a boat load of mid major teams from conferences that are quickly finding themselves snacks for the “BCS.”

What forms from the ashes of the Big 12 and East is:

Old Big 12/ Big East (we’ll call it the National Conference for now)
    North
    UCONN
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    Iowa State
    Notre Dame
    Air Force
    Memphis

South
    KU
    K State
    Baylor
    Texas Tech
    Tulsa
    Utah
    BYU

By pulling in Memphis, Utah, Tulsa, and BYU, the “National Conference” (read: Notre Dame) makes the best of the situation. The conference is by no means the football powerhouse, Texas, BYU, Utah, Notre Dame are no football slouches. K State, ISU, Louisville and the rest are an obvious second tier but likely more competitive in such a conference. Very importantly, Notre Dame would likely be ok with the conference because it becomes the “driving” school. A conference football title (and the auto BCS slot) would not only be attainable for the Irish every year, but it would be expected. Where the Old Big 8 had both OU and Nebby, the new conference would likely see Notre Dame and Cincy rise to the top creating a stronger football north than south (shocking!). While I doubt that the revenue sharing would be great, beggars certainly can’t be choosers and the former Big 12 schools would happily go along with the plan. The conference would have a hefty regional footprint with East Coast, Rust Belt, Chicago, OKC, KC and Salt Lake markets plus Notre Dame and BYU’s national followings. A deal with the Pac 14 could still be formed to make an extremely powerful network that would dwarf the Big 16 in regional coverage.

While football would be less that desirable, a powerful basketball conference. UCONN, Cincy, Louisville, Notre Dame, Memphi, KU, Iowa State, Utah, and BYU all bring at least some basketball prowess to the court. Much like the current Big East, The “National Conference” would be built on a basketball foundation.

While it’s fun to make up scenario’s such as this Apocalypse Now idea, I doubt it will go down exactly like this. I do think this would benefit Iowa State, bumping them into the top half of a BCS conference rather than the bottom while maintaining regional rivalries against BCS schools (read: as little MWC as possible). This doesn’t address the fallout for the MWC, MAC, C-USA etc. There would be a mess at the bottom like all domino effects. I could see the non football Big East schools (Marquette, De Paul, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Villinova) keeping the name and pulling in some A10 or CUSA schools to make their own all basketball conference. The fallout from this is endless!

Just my 2 cents. I’m sure I have some things way off, but it’s just an idea. Have fun!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Re: THE END IS NEAR! (LONG)

Kill me now...another thread about this

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    and yet... probably the one with the best rationale put into it.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I didn't really read all that... just skimmed to ISU.

Isn't the geography of that a bit much?

UConn, Cinci, ISU, Air Force? That's spanning maybe 2000 miles?

Sure, football runs the show and has the coin. What about all the minor sports?

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114

Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    With all the talk and all the theories out there about the end of times conference realignment, I decided I’d try and wade through the realignment from the BCS conference perspective.

Everyone sees the Big Ten as the lynchpin to the entire realignment cycle. I don’t disagree. However, I do believe that it would be naïve to think that most schools don’t have a contingency plan in place or aren’t forming one right now.

So let’s start! I went of the idea that the Big Televen decides to expand to 16 teams. After trying hard to get Notre Dame, they say to Hell with them and go for Mizzou, Nebraska, Rutgers, Pitt and Syracuse in a scr*w you move to the Irish:

Big 16 (old Big Televen)
    West
    Iowa
    Mizzou
    Nebby
    Illinois

North
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Purdue

Central
    Michigan St.
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Pittsburgh

East
    Ohio St.
    Penn State
    Rutgers
    Syracuse

By selecting those teams, it gives the conference a nice balance east and west and creates some natural rivalries (IA/Mizzou/Nebby/Illinois would certainly be a passionate division… or a bunch of drunks… your choice.) It also gives the conference great breadth and allows them access to major eastern markets. Built for football, the conference would also field a nice men’s basketball set as well.

The Big Televen’s move starts to force the hands of the other conferences and puts contingency plans in motion. As has been reported, the SEC is looking at its options and a very plausible (to me anyway) scenario has been floated on here. Texas, Oklahoma, OK State and aTm are invited to the SEC. The last two are brought at the beheast of the respective states in order to get Texas and OU. The SEC would move to a sixteen team format just like the Big Televen, dominating the southern US and creating a fantastic football conference with solid basketball (men’s and women’s) with the keys to most major southern markets:

SEC
    West
    Texas
    aTm
    Oklahoma
    OK State

Delta
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Vandy
    Tennessee

Deep South
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

East
    Kentucky
    Georgia
    Florida
    South Carolina

Again, the breakdown creates some natural rivalries in each division by grouping state schools together while keeping traditional powers as spread out as possible. Both the East and West divisions would be quite entertaining with OU/UT and Georgia/Florida battling for top dog.

With the departure of half of the Big 12, Colorado would quickly accept a life raft from the Pac 10 as they expand to the Pac 14:

Pac 14
    Pacific
    Washington
    Wazzu
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    California
    Stanford
    Southern Cal

Mountain
    UCLA
    UNLV
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Nevada
    Boise State
    Idaho

While not as flashy as the SEC and (now) Big 16, the Pac 14 expansion would allow for a championship game while bringing in the Las Vegas and Denver markets along with quality teams like Nevada (bball) and Boise State (football) (Idaho gets drug along because the options are limited and it doesn’t sound the like the Pac 10 is real interested in Utah/BYU). The poor stepsister of the conference becomes Idaho, but with time and proper revenue sharing, things could (and should) improve.

Seeing the epic destruction of the Big 12, former Big East schools start to sweat. South Florida would want no part of a juxtaposed conference that leaves in the isolated post of the conference. Instead, South Florida jumps ship to the ACC which would invite West Virginia as well (regional rival, great teams, etc). To keep up with its SEC and Big 16 neighbors, the ACC pulls up UCF and Southern Miss from mid major conferences to form a 16 team conference of its own (remember, the Big East did this the last time around by plucking C-USA to pieces):

ACC
    West
    Southern Miss
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson

Costal
    NC State
    Wake
    North Carolina
    Duke

Southern
    Miami
    Central Florida
    South Florida
    Boston College

Atlantic
    Maryland
    Va Tech
    Virginia
    West Virginia

With conference realignment coming hot and fast, certain schools are left in the cold. Most importantly, Notre Dame. After rebuffing the Big Televen and watching the SEC pluck the best of the Big 12 to fill its line up, Notre Dame finds itself in a less than desirable situation. Remaining independent is no longer a viable option with the Big 16 and Pac 14 filling in what had once been much of the Irish’s schedule. Observing the field, Notre Dame sees 5 former Big 12 schools, UCONN, Cincy and Louisville from the Big East and a boat load of mid major teams from conferences that are quickly finding themselves snacks for the “BCS.”

What forms from the ashes of the Big 12 and East is:

Old Big 12/ Big East (we’ll call it the National Conference for now)
    North
    UCONN
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    Iowa State
    Notre Dame
    Air Force
    Memphis

South
    KU
    K State
    Baylor
    Texas Tech
    Tulsa
    Utah
    BYU

By pulling in Memphis, Utah, Tulsa, and BYU, the “National Conference” (read: Notre Dame) makes the best of the situation. The conference is by no means the football powerhouse, Texas, BYU, Utah, Notre Dame are no football slouches. K State, ISU, Louisville and the rest are an obvious second tier but likely more competitive in such a conference. Very importantly, Notre Dame would likely be ok with the conference because it becomes the “driving” school. A conference football title (and the auto BCS slot) would not only be attainable for the Irish every year, but it would be expected. Where the Old Big 8 had both OU and Nebby, the new conference would likely see Notre Dame and Cincy rise to the top creating a stronger football north than south (shocking!). While I doubt that the revenue sharing would be great, beggars certainly can’t be choosers and the former Big 12 schools would happily go along with the plan. The conference would have a hefty regional footprint with East Coast, Rust Belt, Chicago, OKC, KC and Salt Lake markets plus Notre Dame and BYU’s national followings. A deal with the Pac 14 could still be formed to make an extremely powerful network that would dwarf the Big 16 in regional coverage.

While football would be less that desirable, a powerful basketball conference. UCONN, Cincy, Louisville, Notre Dame, Memphi, KU, Iowa State, Utah, and BYU all bring at least some basketball prowess to the court. Much like the current Big East, The “National Conference” would be built on a basketball foundation.

While it’s fun to make up scenario’s such as this Apocalypse Now idea, I doubt it will go down exactly like this. I do think this would benefit Iowa State, bumping them into the top half of a BCS conference rather than the bottom while maintaining regional rivalries against BCS schools (read: as little MWC as possible). This doesn’t address the fallout for the MWC, MAC, C-USA etc. There would be a mess at the bottom like all domino effects. I could see the non football Big East schools (Marquette, De Paul, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Villinova) keeping the name and pulling in some A10 or CUSA schools to make their own all basketball conference. The fallout from this is endless!

Just my 2 cents. I’m sure I have some things way off, but it’s just an idea. Have fun!
    That's pretty interesting, until you get to the last conference. No way ND ends up in a horrible conference like that IMO.

And I think the Big 10 would take UCONN over Syracuse.

Rookie
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Again we are forgetting about the academics of it all. No Big 12 team, especially aTm and UT, will ever go to the SEC because of the academic standards there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 68

uggg.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I didn't really read all that... just skimmed to ISU.

Isn't the geography of that a bit much?

UConn, Cinci, ISU, Air Force? That's spanning maybe 2000 miles?

Sure, football runs the show and has the coin. What about all the minor sports?
    Some of the current ideas surrounding the Big 10 are just as geographically ridiculous.

Lincoln to Piscataway isn't much worse than Colo Springs to Hartford.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114

Your new National Conference would HAVE to go with East and West divisions instead of North and South. Put ND, UCONN ( or Syracuse ), Cincy, Louisville, etc out east, and ISU and others out west.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Your new National Conference would HAVE to go with East and West divisions instead of North and South. Put ND, UCONN ( or Syracuse ), Cincy, Louisville, etc out east, and ISU and others out west.
    That's good rationale. I was trying to balance the football teams out a little bit ,but that works just as well.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here you go:

ND to B10/11 ---> Done
    Utah to P10 ---> Done
    B12 no changes
    SEC no changes
    ACC no changes
    Big East loses ND in non FB sports and doesn't pick up a replacement

Now stop all this nonsense about 16 team mega conferences, ISU being on an island, yada yada yada...not happening people.

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 75

I think the ACC would take UCONN over Southern Miss. Also for the ACC, BC is in Boston so I doubt they would like being in the Southern Division. We would probably take TCU before Tulsa or Air Force or as a replacement for UCONN. Switch it to East/ West in the Big 12. Pac-10 I think would take Gonzaga (not sure if they have a football team) before Idaho. Other than that I'd say you just about nailed it.
    If the Big 12 turns out the way you just explained, we would get raped in basketball. Having to play Memphis, Louisville, ND, and Cincy twice a year would really f us. Not to mention we would still have to play KU, KSU, BYU, and Baylor. I think it would be safe to say we would no longer be a basketball school.

Last edited by cyguytillidie; 05-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here you go:

ND to B10/11 ---> Done
    Utah to P10 ---> Done
    B12 no changes
    SEC no changes
    ACC no changes
    Big East loses ND in non FB sports and doesn't pick up a replacement

Now stop all this nonsense about 16 team mega conferences, ISU being on an island, yada yada yada...not happening people.
    Utah to Pac 10 does nothing to help them form a playoff in football. They would need another.

And Notre Dame will not join a conference unless they have to. The only way they have to is if conferences align them out of usefulness and they only way conferences start to realign is if the Big Televen starts the business. I just don't see the Irish playing ball with the boys in Chicago. They want the driver's seat.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    Utah to Pac 10 does nothing to help them form a playoff in football. They would need another.

And Notre Dame will not join a conference unless they have to. The only way they have to is if conferences align them out of usefulness and they only way conferences start to realign is if the Big Televen starts the business. I just don't see the Irish playing ball with the boys in Chicago. They want the driver's seat.
    My bad on the Pac 10...throw BYU or Boise in there then.

Also, Big East is telling ND all in or out. ND will need a conference for all the non-FB sports and they won't join the Big East for FB so B10 it is.

There...simple enough?

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

This is not realistic at all