Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Wanted: Foolproof method for hardwood smoking

I am going to smoke about twenty pounds of pork for my kids graduation. I want to serve pulled pork sandwiches. Who can help me with a foolproof plan.

I am using a Bradley electric 4 shelf smoker, how hot do I cook in it?

What type of pork do I buy?( I have used butts before)

What type of chips are best(Hickory, maple etc)

What size do I buy (I figure 7 2-3 pounders)

Does anyone have a preferred rub?(last time I used McCormick)

Do I double wrap them in foil?

Do I smoke one hour per pound then equal time in the oven?

The graduation is in three weeks. The party starts at three so I will be slow roasting the pork that day as well.

Who has the best pork in Des Moines? I used Hy-Vee last two times.

I have done this process twice before and was happy with the results one of the times. I really can't goof this one up so I am polling the Clones. If someone has a website that has great instructions that would be fine as well. Thanks for your help. CYKID

Last edited by CYKID; 05-04-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Walk On
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Wanted: Foolproof method for hardwood smoking

Sounds like you've had success in the past....here's what i do, FWIW.
    - I do use coal not gas, but both work
    - Butt/Shoulder
    - I use Hickory (chunks - not chips. soak them overnight for best results. Lowe's has good ones)
    - Usually, i go with 6.5 pound hunks from Costco (they sell them 2 pieces per package).
    - Rub - thats up to your personal taste...we like a mix of brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black and white pepper, cayenne.
    - I smoke 1.5 hours per pound (so for 6.5 lb pieces...9-10 hrs) at 200-225 degrees.
    - Foil about halfway through, adding a mix leftover rub with water or apple juice and put about a 1/4 cup inside the foil.
    - at the 8 hour mark, i take it out (with foil on), wrap in a towel and place in a sealed cooler....so it steams at that point
    - at 9.5 hour mark, remove and vent for 30-45 minutes
    - remove foil and pull (with your hands or with tongs - should break up really easily

Well then, its decided. I'm smoking pork butt this weekend!

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 197

Check out smokingmeatforums.com, there is a ton of great info available and a lot of nice folks too answer all of your questions.

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Go to Hickory Park and buy it already smoked. Foolproof.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

just a personal opinion, but I like fruit woods (ie apple, cherry, mulberry) because they have a stronger flavor usually.

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I use only applewood. I would suggest the FAQ's at this website: Barbecuebible.com :: View Forum - FAQs and How-To's

It provides tutorials for various cuts of meat and provide better information than I have seen in any book. Just follow what they suggest, and you should do well.

For pork, I would recommend pork butt or spare ribs. For beef, I love brisket.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

My preference on meat is Fareway.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 18

I have smoked with grape vine and all the way to oak after 34 years of experience every wood and smoker takes some calibration, that is the beauty of the art of smoking. pm me if you want my favorite rub recipe. I keep it in a Tupperware-type water jug to shake over my meat. (did I just say that). PM me if you want my rub recipe--I always vary or add ingredients to change things up.

Last edited by mkadl; 05-04-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    "To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

nm nm nm

Last edited by mkadl; 05-04-2010 at 07:15 PM.
    "To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKID View Post
    Who has the best pork in Des Moines? I used Hy-Vee last two times.

I have done this process twice before and was happy with the results one of the times. I really can't goof this one up so I am polling the Clones. If someone has a website that has great instructions that would be fine as well. Thanks for your help. CYKID
    Hy Vee a lot of times has pumped pork. This is similar to self basting turkey. If it is pumped pork, you have to really mess up to make it bad. Pumped pork will not absorb rubs or smoke as readily as regular pork. (unless you really overdo the smoke and rub).

Fareway seems to have real meat. They are my first choice. Best choice is a small town locker, and make sure it is farm raised, killed at the locker, meat.

Last edited by mkadl; 05-04-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Options:

Smoke it at 250 with hickory for 2 hours.
    After that, put it in the crockpot for 5-6 hours. Pork butt is easy to test: pull the bone, if it comes out easy and clean you are in good shape.

I just did a 10# butt last week. I marinate 2 nights before in mojo ( hy vee carries it in mex aisle)

I then put a rub on it overnight ( home blend, if want the recipe I can go get it)

Leftovers after pulled sandwiches: add cumin, chili powder, jalapeno or chipotle peppers (or commercial taco/fajita mix), make a separate pan on black beans and onions with the same and sauteed in tequila, serve it in soft shells. Makes a great taco.

Addict
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 210

If you want to make it real easy just smoke for a few hours depending on your temp, then crockpot it the day of the event for a few hours. It wont take too long for it to shred and you will get all the same smoke flavor. I've tried the oven but that just seems to dry it out, even with lots of steam. Cutting it into smaller chunks helps add more flavor throughout IMO.

Dont forget to soak your wood for as long as possible, a few days if you can.

Pork is pork really, it isn't graded like Beef is, Prime, Choice, etc. But I like Fareway, I worked at Dahl's a back in the day and they are all about the same. If you do use butt you might want to cut off the layer of fat on the butt and just tie it back on. Then it is easy to remove, you still get the flavor and moisture from it and you aren't eating about an inch layer of fat.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 8

Shoulder or butt cannot go wrong with either one. I only use apple wood good flavor and when using fruity woods gives a hint of sweetness to the meat if smoked for a long period of time. Soak the wood for 24 hours. I prefer Fareway because they can cut any size you want as well. What I have done is smoke the meat the day before then wraped it very tightly so all the juices and flavor stay inside then the next day pull it apart and put in a crock pot with a little bit of apple juice and reheated it slowly and it worked well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 94

I either do a picnic shoulder or a bone in butt roast. (it's the butt of the shoulder, not the rear end) You can get them whole at either walmart of sams, and they're dirt cheap. There's enough fat in them that they are almost impossible to screw up, and you won't know the difference between one and another. I avoid the boneless ones as the net screws up the bark. They come packer cut and cryovaced, so all you have to do is wash that solution off and pat them dry with paper towels before applying the rub. Then put them in the 'fridge for at least 12 hours before putting them on the smoker.

The best rub I've found to date for pork is Head Country. You can order it direct from their website or can also get it at TNT Landscaping in Ankeny. I've seen their sauces at Dahl's so you may be able to get the rub there also. Their sauces are killer as well. I usually run at 250 for 12-18 hours and put as much rub on the outside that will reasonably stick. The time depends on how much meat. It makes a great bark which is important when you are doing pulled pork. Shoot for an internal temperature between 195-205 degrees as if you stick to the 180 degree range, you won't get rid of very much fat. Don't have to wrap it, add basting sauce, or anything. It's idiot proof. Just remember to let it rest for 20 minutes to half an hour before you pull it. If it gets done early, just back the temp off as there's enough fat in there that it won't dry out. It's even good reheated although there is a possibility of drying out should you do so. A little beer and apple juice will help out if that happens.

As for how much? Figure about 50% shrinkage so a nine pound roast should yield 4.5 pounds of meat. Can't remember for sure, but 8 oz. cooked per person should be plenty. I always make extra as people fight over any leftovers to take home.

Wood? Any fruitwood, although some also use hickory. With the Bradley, you're limited to their discs so whatever they have will be fine.

Opinions about BBQ are like rear ends - everyone has one. Cookshack smokers has an online forum on their website and I've found it the most informative one out there. They have lots of pictures and videos. You should be able to find stuff from Bradley owners as well. If not, ask. They're a great bunch of people. Google should get you there. You can also PM me.

The beauty of a good electric smoker is that it can make even the most basic novice look like a pro if they have a little info.

Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    If you want to make it real easy just smoke for a few hours depending on your temp, then crockpot it the day of the event for a few hours. It wont take too long for it to shred and you will get all the same smoke flavor. I've tried the oven but that just seems to dry it out, even with lots of steam. Cutting it into smaller chunks helps add more flavor throughout IMO.

Dont forget to soak your wood for as long as possible, a few days if you can.

Pork is pork really, it isn't graded like Beef is, Prime, Choice, etc. But I like Fareway, I worked at Dahl's a back in the day and they are all about the same. If you do use butt you might want to cut off the layer of fat on the butt and just tie it back on. Then it is easy to remove, you still get the flavor and moisture from it and you aren't eating about an inch layer of fat.
    You don't want to soak the wood. That's a rookie mistake. The smoke that flavors the meat is the smoke you don't see, not the smoke you see. His Bradley smoker uses wood discs that auto feed every so many minutes so he really doesn't have that option anyway.

Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.