Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 50

Things I'm getting sick of...No. 1

Was reading through my latest CN magazine with a cup of coffee enjoying the gorgeous late-April spring morning and read the following quote from Ron Maly regarding the coaching staff Chizek assembled:

As for assistants Chizik hired, I hope somebody told the coaches to go to Younkers or Wal-Mart to buy down-filled parkas and five-buckle overshoes. The coaches are southerners who maybe aren't accustomed to Iowa's brutal winters -- or at least weren't until they began recruiting here after the snow fell and the temperatures plummeted in January and February. Go back almost 40 years, and I know Iowa's weather was a shock to some of the southerners that were members of Johnny Major's Cyclone staff. A few didn't stay beyond one or two seasons.
    Last I checked, the winters in Lincoln, NE, Ann Arbor, MI, Madison, WI, and yes...even the mecca of the college sports world...Iowa City, IA, were pretty identical to those in Ames, IA. Yet I don't ever hear a concern that the winter weather is a big hurdle for staffs at those other schools. Besides, isn't the biggest weather-related recruiting concern for most of these programs whether or not you can stay warm on the way to the airport before jetting off to Florida or Texas?

Ames is not in the arctic circle. At least no more so than any other program of similar latitude. DROP IT ALREADY!

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

Re: Things I'm getting sick of...No. 1

Oh Chill out... I think the guy does have a point. Mac Brown hated the weather up here and it was part of the reason he departed for a more southern destination.

That's not to say a few southerners won't stick around. Hayden Fry is a good example of that.

Time will tell the story.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 304

This same IDIOT aka ron maly also said that Johnny Majors could NOT make it at ISU because he could NOT get any recruits to come north out of the sunnysouth!

Last time I checked Majors went to 2 consecutive bowl games while the mecca of college football went to none at all in the 70's!!

Revisionist history again from another squawk fan. Thats all that is from ron "discredited" maly!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

I can't stand that crap either. How many times have we heard about the weather in "Ames". If we were in the Big 10 "Ames" would be equal or more south than a lot of their schools. I hate the Big 10 more than anyone, but sometimes I wonder how much being in that conference would help us with 10-15 more million a year, TV and being with other "Cold" States.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Oh Chill out... I think the guy does have a point. Mac Brown hated the weather up here and it was part of the reason he departed for a more southern destination.

That's not to say a few southerners won't stick around. Hayden Fry is a good example of that.

Time will tell the story.
    Coach Chizik has said that Mac Brown loved Ames and his encouragement was a key reason JP was able to make that hire. Where have you heard he hated it? He did tell Coach to bring a jacket, but...

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonekj View Post
    Coach Chizik has said that Mac Brown loved Ames and his encouragement was a key reason JP was able to make that hire. Where have you heard he hated it? He did tell Coach to bring a jacket, but...
    Read what I said. He hated the weather, not necessarily the town. Mac and Coach Chizik have nothing to gain saying anything negative about Ames.

Last edited by Bobber; 04-29-2007 at 01:34 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Read what I said. He hated the weather, not necessarily the town. Mac nor Coach Chizik have nothing to gain saying anything negative about Ames.
    Then I'm confused as to how you know he hated the weather.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh there was a post on this site back when we hire Chizik about Mac Brown. It involved a recruiting trip to Minneapolis when he lived in Ames. Evidently it was cold, but not terrible and he acted like he was on the North Pole, all bundled up and still freezing in the back of a car.

Plus he did tell Coach Chizik to buy some good winter jackets if he took the job.

Plus he has been down south ever since he left Ames.

Mac Brown may indeed love Ames, but I'm sure if you asked him if he like the weather he'd say yeah except for winter.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh there was a post on this site back when we hire Chizik about Mac Brown. It involved a recruiting trip to Minneapolis when he lived in Ames. Evidently it was cold, but not terrible and he acted like he was on the North Pole, all bundled up and still freezing in the back of a car.

Plus he did tell Coach Chizik to buy some good winter jackets if he took the job.

Plus he has been down south ever since he left Ames.

Mac Brown may indeed love Ames, but I'm sure if you asked him if he like the weather he'd say yeah except for winter.
    Thanks for sharing. I had not heard that anecdote before. Many people (myself included) are not in love with the cold and wind of winters in the upper midwest. I think Mac Brown's career moves have been based on things other than weather, but it may have played a small role.

In the original spirit of this thread, I would like to say that I have a difficult time understanding what I see as an inferiority complex many Iowans have about our state. That we have cold winters, an agricultural based economy, and low population does not make Iowa a bad place to live. On the contrary, I love it here and have chosen to make it my home in spite of many opportunities elsewhere.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks (via Guitarchitect)

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonekj View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I had not heard that anecdote before. Many people (myself included) are not in love with the cold and wind of winters in the upper midwest. I think Mac Brown's career moves have been based on things other than weather, but it may have played a small role.

In the original spirit of this thread, I would like to say that I have a difficult time understanding what I see as an inferiority complex many Iowans have about our state. That we have cold winters, an agricultural based economy, and low population does not make Iowa a bad place to live. On the contrary, I love it here and have chosen to make it my home in spite of many opportunities elsewhere.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks (via Guitarchitect)
    Good points and most Iowans (including myself!) should whole heartedly agree. I think it's a great place too because the cost of living, especially home ownership, is so low. What you don't spend on housing you can use to save and accumulate wealth. Most Iowans should feel a sense of quiet confidence living here.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

This article and the Dienhert (#66) article are great lessons about sportswriting. It is 10% substance and 90% BS/fluff.

If you count all the articles about the NFL draft, this week is one rich in lessons on this axiom.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I lived in Texas for a few years. My first summer in Irving, it was over 100 for 55 straight days and over 90 for 30 days on the front and back ends of the period. I could not imagine anyone actually wanting to live there because of the weather. Having lived in several states besides Iowa, I will say that Iowa has fine weather, except for February, which shold just be cancelled.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    I lived in Texas for a few years. My first summer in Irving, it was over 100 for 55 straight days and over 90 for 30 days on the front and back ends of the period. I could not imagine anyone actually wanting to live there because of the weather. Having lived in several states besides Iowa, I will say that Iowa has fine weather, except for February, which shold just be cancelled.
    Agreed, I can't stand hot days down south as much as I can't stand cold days up north. When I lived in South Carolina, the humidity during the summer was almost enough to suffocate you, even if it was "only" 95 out. At least during the summer here, we get just enough Texas-like weather to keep Chizik from becoming homesick.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Having lived in several states besides Iowa, I will say that Iowa has fine weather, except for February, which shold just be cancelled.
    Someone get ahold of the governor!! This needs to happen before next Valentine's Day!!!

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Let's face it, December, January, and February do suck in Iowa...however, the coaches should be spending a lot of these months in more tropical climates coaching bowl games and recruiting great athletes!!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.