Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,044
    Given: 279

Williams Blog: Pollard had to act fast

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Williams Blog: Pollard had to act fast

Who's to say this "process" started after Gmac left?

Pollard has long held that he keeps a short list of replacements, even while a coach is in place and in good standing.

Sounds like JP has known that Freddy was the next man in for a few years. In that same process any other coach/person has the opportunity to distinguish themselves for the position.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Pollard had to act fast...so that's an excuse?

This could be viewed as Pollards second strike in reference to race, the first being his firing of a minority coach that clearly was doing a better job then that of his subsuquent replacement.

(am a white boy from small town Iowa 20 minutes from ames, just in case the tattoo haters come out for me being black or asian or latin american)

Pollard did have to act fast but that doesn't matter to compliance officers, much like vigilante justice doesn't matter to the judge, police department and lawyers...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

I thought JP didn't show much respect for Bobby Douglas when he forced him out and Cael in, aparently before either one was ready according to somebody I know close to the program, so take that for what it's worth. Of all the places Cael could have picked, including the dominant Iowa program, he picked Bobby and ISU, so we owe Bobby a lot and I didn't think he got the props he deserved from JP when the move was made.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

Chris- Good points and I agree JP needed to act fast and he did. But he knew there was a very good chance he would be looking for a new coach next year or sooner if somebody would come up with the buyout money, so I would expect him to have a short list with Fred near the top. I know when we on the board have speculated on who our next coach would be, Fred was talked about, though I think some of us weren't sure Fred wanted the job with his health situation, which apparently is no problem for him thank goodness.

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    I thought JP didn't show much respect for Bobby Douglas when he forced him out and Cael in, aparently before either one was ready according to somebody I know close to the program, so take that for what it's worth. Of all the places Cael could have picked, including the dominant Iowa program, he picked Bobby and ISU, so we owe Bobby a lot and I didn't think he got the props he deserved from JP when the move was made.
    Because it would have been so much easier to hire Cael a few years later when he was 'ready' and also had an offer from someone like I dunno Penn State. Because we have showed how easy it was for us to hold on to him when he is ready. Hiring Cael when we did led to enormous success in the wrestling program. I do feel bad for Bobby, but he had 12 years and won 0 conference championships. Cael had 3 years and won 3 Big 12 crowns. I appreciate what Bobby did for Iowa State, I appreciate what he continues to do for Iowa State. But you are making the argument that Cael wasn't "ready", and the guy came in the first year and won a conference title, then another, then another.

Secondly if Cael wasn't 'ready' he could have declined the offer. You're right though I really wish we would have waited a few more years, given him 1 as head coach and then lost him to Penn State with only 1 of the 3 trophys he brought back to ISU as a head coach.

Also, Cybirdie the watchdog group for coaching searches gave ISU one of only like 7 top ratings for the football coaching search that hired Rhoads. This has ZERO to do with race. Anyone saying so is flat out wrong and are looking for a problem that frankly doesn't exist. But even if we followed your second strike analogy, the 1 of 7 A grades for the football search would be a homerun and would reset the pitch count to 0-1. Also, you might even say hiring Kevin Jackson would be considered another home run. Seems we're averaging just as many out of the park hits as we are "strikes".

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 47

Anybody remember how bad Prairie View A&M used to be? That would have been ISU had JP not acted as quickly as he did. Those who criticize the hiring "process" have absolutely no idea how bad the condition of the MBB program is at ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

The most shocking thing about this story is that someone actually reads that paper.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post
    Because it would have been so much easier to hire Cael a few years later when he was 'ready' and also had an offer from someone like I dunno Penn State. Because we have showed how easy it was for us to hold on to him when he is ready. Hiring Cael when we did led to enormous success in the wrestling program. I do feel bad for Bobby, but he had 12 years and won 0 conference championships. Cael had 3 years and won 3 Big 12 crowns. I appreciate what Bobby did for Iowa State, I appreciate what he continues to do for Iowa State. But you are making the argument that Cael wasn't "ready", and the guy came in the first year and won a conference title, then another, then another.

Secondly if Cael wasn't 'ready' he could have declined the offer. You're right though I really wish we would have waited a few more years, given him 1 as head coach and then lost him to Penn State with only 1 of the 3 trophys he brought back to ISU as a head coach.

Also, Cybirdie the watchdog group for coaching searches gave ISU one of only like 7 top ratings for the football coaching search that hired Rhoads. This has ZERO to do with race. Anyone saying so is flat out wrong and are looking for a problem that frankly doesn't exist. But even if we followed your second strike analogy, the 1 of 7 A grades for the football search would be a homerun and would reset the pitch count to 0-1. Also, you might even say hiring Kevin Jackson would be considered another home run. Seems we're averaging just as many out of the park hits as we are "strikes".
    I was angling towards the previous BBALL fire/hire...regarding Morgan, we all know he wasn't that highly regarded within the big boys bringing the money to the program. I'm merely stating that this process and the BBALL issues in general have developed a trend based on outside consultation (in my opinion)

Respectfully I take this stance again.....however I love having Freddy here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    It was way past time for Douglas to move on. You should feel honored that you know/knew someone close to the program considering Bobby ran off a majority of the long time wrestling supporters and boosters. Just stating the facts.

JP made the right call.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post

Your logical and fact base post has no room here.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 589
    Given: 425

Re: Pollard had to act fast...so that's an excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Mostly your assumption that anyone that disagreed with you would automatically think you were an angry minority. Unless you're looking for an issue, nothing in ISU athletics hiring history should raise any eyebrows with regards to equal opportunity.
    Agree completely.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Mostly your assumption that anyone that disagreed with you would automatically think you were an angry minority. Unless you're looking for an issue, nothing in ISU athletics hiring history should raise any eyebrows with regards to equal opportunity.

I'm saying that the firing of Morgan was race enduced by the big boosters. Plain and simple.

The expedicious nature of this hiring has left equal opportunity in the wings and people are running around saying that it was more important to field a competitive team next year by hiring the only coach on a list which you had because you knew that your current coach was going to bail (this argument was made available by saying that 4 years ago he met with Fred and then monitored his progress. how do you monitor fred's progress of developing his plan for ISU basketball as a VP of basketball operations for the T-wolves?) and this argument is also supported prosthetically due to the fact that the new coach had to maintain Otz in order to maintain the committed recruits something that Rhoads did without a common denominator from the previous Fball administration...

Last edited by LindenCy; 05-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I find it amusing that ISU is the place where they seemingly want to make a point about racial equality and hiring coaches at NCAA Universities.

Anyone who is trying to position ISU as a University that does not hold up to the overall equality/affirmative action issue clearly has not done any background check in this area. ISU has a very positive history and has demonstrated that they are in fact above the norm when it comes to hiring minorities in the athletic department.

Plenty of other Universities that donít even come close to ISU in this area.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 589
    Given: 425

Quote Originally Posted by cybirdie View Post

I'm saying that the firing of Morgan was race enduced by the big boosters. Plain and simple.

The expedicious nature of this hiring has left equal opportunity in the wings and people are running around saying that it was more important to field a competitive team next year by hiring the only coach on a list which you had because you knew that your current coach was going to bail (this argument was made available by saying that 4 years ago he met with Fred and then monitored his progress. how do you monitor fred's progress of developing his plan for ISU basketball as a VP of basketball operations for the T-wolves?) and this argument is also supported prosthetically due to the fact that the new coach had to maintain Otz in order to maintain the committed recruits something that Rhoads did without a common denominator from the previous Fball administration...
    If its so well known, plain and simple, where is the proof?

Last edited by LindenCy; 05-03-2010 at 05:57 PM.