Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

This season.

Here are some things on my mind.

Kick Off: No Yelk this season. Will we see the ball get kicked off to the opponnets 20 yard line, and then he runs another 20-25 yards? This is huge b/c it is like giving up 2 first downs right away. I hope we have this figured out.

Field goals: Shaggy. I feel really good about him this year. The only question is field goals in the 40-49yd range and in the clutch. I think he will be alright though.

Running Game: Hicks is great blocker for the passing game but is more of an undersized fullback. We really need a back (cory ross, albert young etc...) Those guys are good protectors of the QB, and can fly though small holes and ALSO catch and run on a screen pass. I hope hicks proves everyone wrong and we can get more help from the other backs this season to give him some rest.

Passing: Give this an absolute A, but for some reason I don't think we run the smartest routes for the protection our QB is getting. There is no reason we can't run the ball with are receiving core. This should be fun to watch and is how we will win the majority of our games.

Oline: We have alot back so this should be good right? Don't know. If we just get enough room to run respectively then the passing game fires up and we can also run out a game clock for once.

D-line and LB: Not really sure about this. Ask me this if we had Berryman and Robertson. We should be decent enough to win some games, but Iowa, OU, Texas, Nebraska, and Tech could give us fits with there running games and techs wierd short pass offense.

DBacks: 50/50 on this also. We have some good talent back there, but we lost some really good players. Short passes pretty much killed us last year. I do like who Coach Mac is bringing in lately for Backs though.

Punter: Do we have a punter? All I could find is this Brandtner kid thats a RS Fresh. Whats up with this?

So when you put the games into catagories: (and yes I know we shouldn't take anyone lightly)
    Must win 6-7 of these.
    Toledo
    Unlv
    UNI
    Mizzou
    Kansas
    K-State
    CU
    6-1

We need at least one of these two (better NU b/c of north)
    Nebraska
    TTech
    1-1

Get at least one of these. (conference would be better)
    Iowa
    Texas
    OU
    1-2

8-4 (5-3?) Doesn't sound too bad with that schedule. could be better could be worse.
    Alamo, Holiday, Sun bowl bid?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260
    Yeah, who is our punter. And does he have hangtime or just low rockets? Anyone know?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Yeah, sometimes I think the fact we do not have a proven kicker for kickoffs is an often overlooked fact that could be a major question mark this season.

Yelk's booming kicks rarely gave the opposing team the oppoutunity to start beyond the 20-25 yard line. This is huge from a defensive and crowd involvement standpoint.

I dont know too much about the depth at kicker this season, but the opportunities for our defense to set up our offense will be much better if somebody can fill yelk's shoes. If not, its only going to be that much tougher to make a stand with young defensive squad.

Lets hope we can find somebody.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6
    In the spring game the kid from Bett. was kicking them in the endzone to the 5 yard line so I am not concerned about that.

The punter was booming them in the spring game just worried about how quick he gets the kicks off.

Offense will be fine

Defense will make some mistakes but it will have the speed to correct them quickly.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 916
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 57
    Someone posted a link to rules changes for the upcoming season on the Big 12 website. One of the changes was a shorter tee, with the intent of shortening kickoffs and increasing the number of returns. If this does become an issue for us, hopefully it will be a problem for our opponents also. Who are our kick returners this season?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 566
    I think the kick returners would be Austin Flynn, DeAndre Jackson and/ or Sumrall? I'm thinking I would rather keep DeAndre out of there if possible. He is a very key guy for our defense.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I suspect that Ryan Baum will handle the returns. He did a nice job last year.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think the kick returners would be Austin Flynn, DeAndre Jackson and/ or Sumrall? I'm thinking I would rather keep DeAndre out of there if possible. He is a very key guy for our defense.
    I understand your concern, however, DeAndre is an all conference kick returner. I think we've gotta let him make plays. If he gets hurt, though, we are up the proverbial s*** creek without a paddle.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,921
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 33
    Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthCy View Post
    I suspect that Ryan Baum will handle the returns. He did a nice job last year.

He will be returning punts.

Jackson/Flynn/Sumrall will be handling kickoffs. (Whichever 2 of the 3 is having a better day, or whoever's more rested, etc.)

Last edited by HiltonMagic; 07-26-2006 at 05:45 PM.
    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Here are some things on my mind.

Kick Off: No Yelk this season. Will we see the ball get kicked off to the opponnets 20 yard line, and then he runs another 20-25 yards? This is huge b/c it is like giving up 2 first downs right away. I hope we have this figured out.

Field goals: Shaggy. I feel really good about him this year. The only question is field goals in the 40-49yd range and in the clutch. I think he will be alright though.

Running Game: Hicks is great blocker for the passing game but is more of an undersized fullback. We really need a back (cory ross, albert young etc...) Those guys are good protectors of the QB, and can fly though small holes and ALSO catch and run on a screen pass. I hope hicks proves everyone wrong and we can get more help from the other backs this season to give him some rest.

Passing: Give this an absolute A, but for some reason I don't think we run the smartest routes for the protection our QB is getting. There is no reason we can't run the ball with are receiving core. This should be fun to watch and is how we will win the majority of our games.

Oline: We have alot back so this should be good right? Don't know. If we just get enough room to run respectively then the passing game fires up and we can also run out a game clock for once.

D-line and LB: Not really sure about this. Ask me this if we had Berryman and Robertson. We should be decent enough to win some games, but Iowa, OU, Texas, Nebraska, and Tech could give us fits with there running games and techs wierd short pass offense.

DBacks: 50/50 on this also. We have some good talent back there, but we lost some really good players. Short passes pretty much killed us last year. I do like who Coach Mac is bringing in lately for Backs though.

Punter: Do we have a punter? All I could find is this Brandtner kid thats a RS Fresh. Whats up with this?

So when you put the games into catagories: (and yes I know we shouldn't take anyone lightly)
    Must win 6-7 of these.
    Toledo
    Unlv
    UNI
    Mizzou
    Kansas
    K-State
    CU
    6-1

We need at least one of these two (better NU b/c of north)
    Nebraska
    TTech
    1-1

Get at least one of these. (conference would be better)
    Iowa
    Texas
    OU
    1-2

8-4 (5-3?) Doesn't sound too bad with that schedule. could be better could be worse.
    Alamo, Holiday, Sun bowl bid?

Why are people putting the IOWA game up there with Texas & Oklahoma? We beat them at Kinnick in '98, '00, '02, and barely lost to them in '04

They went fricking 7-5 last year, lost their best defenders, and everyone is bowing to them like they're Notre Dame.

Screw 'em. They rate with Nebraska, CU, Kansas, & Texas Tech--not the big boys.

You people need to quit giving them so much credit. You're starting to believe the Hawkeye Hype. We blasted them last year.

Duke Kahanamoku

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by ferdnand1 View Post
    Why are people putting the IOWA game up there with Texas & Oklahoma? We beat them at Kinnick in '98, '00, '02, and barely lost to them in '04

They went fricking 7-5 last year, lost their best defenders, and everyone is bowing to them like they're Notre Dame.

Screw 'em. They rate with Nebraska, CU, Kansas, & Texas Tech--not the big boys.

You people need to quit giving them so much credit. You're starting to believe the Hawkeye Hype. We blasted them last year.

I think its because the have a ton of players back and its at Kinnick where they never lose. I am not saying we can't win there and IMO I think its 50/50.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    I think its because the have a ton of players back and its at Kinnick where they never lose. I am not saying we can't win there and IMO I think its 50/50.
    Since 1977, I have been to most of the ISU games at Kinnick.

The pressure is all on Iowa to beat ISU. The pressure will be tremendous inside the stadium. That is why ISU has the advantage. Recent history shows that. ISU plays better there than at trice games against Iowa, even when ISU was horrible. The pressure was tremendous in '02 after half-time, and a superior Iowa team melted down.

The media is lumping Iowa with the Texas & Oklahoma games?? That is what I have been reading.

We blasted them last year, and Iowa went 7-5 and lost their 4 best tacklers. They're not any better than ISU.

You people have got to quit conceding that game to Iowa. I don't care who they beat at Kinnick. they lost to Michigan last year, who ended up losing to Nebraska, who should of been beaten by ISU at Lincoln.

Enough of this Hawkeye ***-kissing. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll eat crow. no offense, I just want to change some of your attitudes. Iowa should be compared to KU, CU, Texas Tech, Missouri.

Duke Kahanamoku

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 14
    Sir you are a gentleman and a scholar.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMagic View Post
    He will be returning punts.

Jackson/Flynn/Sumrall will be handling kickoffs. (Whichever 2 of the 3 is having a better day, or whoever's more rested, etc.)

I agree that Baum will return punts. He had better numbers than Sumrall did last year. The coaches have mentioned Sandvig's name for kickoff returns too. I don't know if the ankle injury will keep him out of the running, but if not, I expect to see him back there with Jackson.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

fernand, I like your spirit, but..... We lost 8 players on defense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ferdnand1 View Post
    Since 1977, I have been to most of the ISU games at Kinnick.

The pressure is all on Iowa to beat ISU. The pressure will be tremendous inside the stadium. That is why ISU has the advantage. Recent history shows that. ISU plays better there than at trice games against Iowa, even when ISU was horrible. The pressure was tremendous in '02 after half-time, and a superior Iowa team melted down.

The media is lumping Iowa with the Texas & Oklahoma games?? That is what I have been reading.

We blasted them last year, and Iowa went 7-5 and lost their 4 best tacklers. They're not any better than ISU.

You people have got to quit conceding that game to Iowa. I don't care who they beat at Kinnick. they lost to Michigan last year, who ended up losing to Nebraska, who should of been beaten by ISU at Lincoln.

Enough of this Hawkeye ***-kissing. If I turn out to be wrong, I'll eat crow. no offense, I just want to change some of your attitudes. Iowa should be compared to KU, CU, Texas Tech, Missouri.
    I hope you are right, but we lost 8 out of 11 starters on defense. Rush defense in particular is going to be a big question mark against Iowa.

URBCLONE