Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 75

The New Conference Realignments

Based on the information published in the papers, here's probably the best and most likely scenario:

1) The Big East stays as-is. Tagliabue and Notre Dame see to that. Everyone is "surprised" except those in the know.

2) The Big 12 ceases to exist.

3) The Pac-10 Adds CU and BYU or Utah. Probably Utah. Maybe go for the 16 conference fit also, but probably not right now.

4) The Big 10 Adds NU, OU, KU, MU and ISU (for existing IU rivalry and in-state politicking) OR OSU (old Big 8 connections).

5) All the Texas schools that can make the cut go to SEC - TU, TTU, A&M and probably OSU due to close proximity.

6) Baylor goes to MWC or goes independent. Long shot for SEC as Texas politicians are likely to get involved and "demand" it same as they did for Big 12. Oklahoma politicians (T. Boone Pickens) get involved for OSU and save the day for OSU over Baylor and **** off Texas politicians for extra bonus on the way out the door getting kudos from other Big 8 members as small payback gesture for way Texas hijacked and ensured the destruction of the Big 12 in the first place. By Texas I mean the schools and the state politicians.

7) KSU goes probably to MWC, possibly MAC. MWC if they're smart.

8) IF MWC plays this right, they add at least two schools (KSU & BU) that would be good fit to argue for BCS conference status, especially since one BCS conference ceases to exist. Baylor is tough call as it has a higher perception of its academics, but beggars can't be choosers.

If Iowa politicians and big money donors don't step up to the plate and get it done, ISU and KSU are the ugly step-sisters left out in the cold as Baylor and Texas politicians win the day AGAIN and get BU into SEC and then OSU goes to Big 10 by default. The only good news is that OSU and ISU are revenue neutral overall in that neither will add a region to the new conference as IU already covers Iowa and the addition of OU negates any revenue boost for OSU.

Also, I see OU over OSU in new Big 10 (which gets Big 16 name in purchase from now defunct Big 12) due to revenue and slight edge competitively, but OU could see it differently due to travel and SEC connections and choose to go SEC with OSU then going for Big 10. Overall, having TU-OU as out of conference rivalry would be net gain for them and fits better with old Big 8 rivalries.

All big $ "rivalries" will now exist as non-conference affairs: OU-TU, etc. Non-big earning rivalries either cease to exist or die a slow death over time.

relevant links:
    http://www.omaha.com/article/2010050...TS/705019719/0

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/01...k=omni_popular

Write it down, heard it here first, unless you're an insider and already know (I am not an insider, just very transparent deal).

Last edited by ShopTalk; 05-02-2010 at 03:37 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The New Conference Realignments

TLDR: I heard that rumors are facts.

Walk On
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I doubt all of this will happen. In this scenario the Big 10 would add 4 schools making it a conference of 15 teams, basically the same as having 11.

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 6

He has the Big 10 adding 5. 11+5=16

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonefan101 View Post
    I doubt all of this will happen. In this scenario the Big 10 would add 4 schools making it a conference of 15 teams, basically the same as having 11.
    Then they could call it the big 14?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 92

We only go to the Big Ten if Iowa lobbies, or if Nebraska or OU lobby. Not other way. I hate to say this but money wise, we just aren't where they would like a new team to be.

Of course, if this takes 3 years to figure out, we may be competitive enough with a good long term outlook to entice the Big 10.

It's all snark from here on out

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 18

It's not out of the question but I highly doubt this kind of conference realignment will happen.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 247

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post

4) The Big 10 Adds NU, OU, KU, MU and ISU (for existing IU rivalry and in-state politicking) OR OSU (old Big 8 connections).

If Iowa politicians and big money donors don't step up to the plate and get it done, ISU and KSU are the ugly step-sisters left out in the cold
    Again, please explain to me what "politicking" the state of Iowa can do - what leverage would they possibly have with the Big Ten? Threaten to pull Iowa out?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 154

Based on what I've read and seen, this is EXTREMELY unlikely.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

From a revenue sharing point of view I would be ecstatic about joining the big 10, but in your scenario, KSU being left out is being a little optimistic. As much as I love ISU, why would the big 10 take all the big 12 north teams (minus colorado to Pac10) except KSU? What is more appealing about ISU than KSU (just devil's advocate here) Wouldn't KU and the kansas politicians lobby for KU and KSU to keep the rivarly, obviously UI being already in helps us over KSU, but we aren't head and shoulders above KSU that would make me comfortable that they would take us over them. Thoughts?

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Again, please explain to me what "politicking" the state of Iowa can do - what leverage would they possibly have with the Big Ten? Threaten to pull Iowa out?
    Exactly! There is no power, no leverage, no people, and no money in Iowa ... which is why ISU not a candidate, neither is KU and Kansas. Same problems ...

If the BigTen goes to 16 they will take 3 from the east (think about money, money and then money again) and 2 from the west (Mizzou and Nebby)

I strongly believe that our Cyclones are going to be left without a dance partner, geographically isolated and financially crippled ... this whole topic is very troubling from an ISU perspective

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by MookInLincoln View Post
    Exactly! There is no power, no leverage, no people, and no money in Iowa ... which is why ISU not a candidate, neither is KU and Kansas. Same problems ...

If the BigTen goes to 16 they will take 3 from the east (think about money, money and then money again) and 2 from the west (Mizzou and Nebby)

I strongly believe that our Cyclones are going to be left without a dance partner, geographically isolated and financially crippled ... this whole topic is very troubling from an ISU perspective

Agree 100%

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 135

This is the most unlikely scenario I have seen. ISU will not be part of the big 10. I doubt very much Texas goes to the SEC, no way Texas, LSU, and Bama are in the same division.

MU and NU are gone to the big 10. The Big East is going to lose teams to the big 10 as well. There will be no big East football.

The big 12 will pick up new teams to replace MU, NU, and CU(pac 10). Cincinatti, Memphis, Louisville, Utah, BYU, Houston, and maybe even as far as West Virginia.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    For starters, they can contact Texas and ask what they did to get Baylor into the Big 12.

There are good arguments in favor of ISU contrary to all the negative naybobs' opinions. Here's a few:

1) Good wrestling program, like PSU. Net conference add here, and on a controlled network an area for revenue expansion if forward thinking.
    2) Big 10 connections like Pollard & McCarney and staffs. And our university President? Remember, it was a Big 10 infusion of coaches that has led to the improvement in sports. Maybe by design, if you can keep the negative thinking at bay for a second.
    3) Competitive, but not a serious threat to movers and shakers in the conference on an annual basis. After adding OU and NU and KU in basketball, a few competitive but non-threatening entries are required to maintain status quo for UM and Ohio St.
    4) Proximity. Big deal for operations budgets and fan base to fill the stands.
    5) Similar Midwestern culture - a big deal for conference longevity.
    6) All athletic programs overall are competitive - I see that as a plus.

Put away your negativity ray guns and you'll figure out a few on your own to add to the list. OSU and ISU are approximately equal options...even with Picken's money? That's a push either way, so politicking is required and would be a rare show of solidarity for a primarily UI leaning legislature, but it WILL be a net gain for the state and Big 10 to do so, so they will.

Last edited by ShopTalk; 05-02-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 154

Quote Originally Posted by nickcyv View Post
    This is the most unlikely scenario I have seen. ISU will not be part of the big 10. I doubt very much Texas goes to the SEC, no way Texas, LSU, and Bama are in the same division.

MU and NU are gone to the big 10. The Big East is going to lose teams to the big 10 as well. There will be no big East football.

The big 12 will pick up new teams to replace MU, NU, and CU(pac 10). Cincinatti, Memphis, Louisville, Utah, BYU, Houston, and maybe even as far as West Virginia.
    Exactly. The SEC might add a couple teams, but they don't really need to. They have a huge market share, great TV deal, and even with the additions to the Big 10, will be the best on-field conference in the country. Hell, the SEC could start their own network right now, and do fine.

The SEC doesn't NEED to expand to be powerful.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.