Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Recruiting

Alexander Robinson -

Just put that to show that stars really dont mean anything. He was 168 pounds in high school. That would be tiny in the Big 12. Just shows that you never know who will be good in college and who will be a bust.

B.F.S.R.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 297

Re: Recruiting

Most people do not understand star ratings. Star ratings mean their potential to make the NFL.

6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect

6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player

4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

A-Rob as a 3 star is right on.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 49

A-Rob was not even our #1 RB recruit that year. That was Josh Johnson. He got in the doghouse and was released from the team. Transferred to Southeastern Oklahoma State.

But I remember Josh Johnson being touted as the next star RB. Chizik came and A-Rob actually started the first game of the Chizik era over JJ Bass and Jason Scales. A-Rob has developed quite nicely. Great player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by gocy444 View Post
    Alexander Robinson -

Just put that to show that stars really dont mean anything. He was 168 pounds in high school. That would be tiny in the Big 12. Just shows that you never know who will be good in college and who will be a bust.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. He was a three-star recruit. I'm sure every Iowa State fan would love a class of nothing but 3-stars. Three-stars are GOOD recruits. The problem we run into is when we have to settle for a bunch of 2-stars and no-stars.

If Robinson had been a 2-star in high school, you might have a point. But the way I see it, he's performing at right about where he was ranked.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

The difference between us and schools that get 4 and 5 star recruits is that players like Arob can see the field. In my opinion, it is more important to see the field than to be on a winning team, but many do not see it that way.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

Here's my take on stars. They are basically the chance that the player will be a good college player. Five stars: It is pretty much a lock. Four: Very good chance. Three: Possibly. So on. I would say ARob, in regards to the NFL, probably is right at a 3 star type of player. He is great in our system because of his quickness and elusiveness but in the NFL that will not get him by. While we like to jump on stars and say they don't matter, on average, they are pretty accurate. Of course, there are the misses here and there but that will always happen. The scouts can only judge what they have seen. They can't determine how a kid will develop over the next 4-5 years.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    A-Rob was not even our #1 RB recruit that year. That was Josh Johnson. He got in the doghouse and was released from the team. Transferred to Southeastern Oklahoma State.

But I remember Josh Johnson being touted as the next star RB. Chizik came and A-Rob actually started the first game of the Chizik era over JJ Bass and Jason Scales. A-Rob has developed quite nicely. Great player.
    I remember that. I was thinking who the heck is Alexander Robinson?

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post

I really think you're remembering wrong. I don't think there was nickel's worth of difference in the hype between Johnson and Robinson. In fact, Robinson may have had more hype because of his speed. He set the Minnesota high school state record in the 200 meters. Then the official site had those daily practice reports that even gave us stats like carries and yardage on how everyone was doing and Robinson was always mentioned prominently.

I remember there was a poster from Oklahoma who followed OK high school football a lot and he said some nice things about Johnson, but also mentioned he wasn't a speed back.

Legend
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 841

I also remember the hype Johnson received being more than what ARob received. The hype was coming from DMac.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...on-injury.html
    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...u-offense.html

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 05-02-2010 at 03:05 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 88

Johnson had the hype. He had a nickname. Rivals did a report on impact freshman and named Johnson. Johnson got early carries. DMAC was talking about him. Remeber Arob actually quit the team after DMAC left!

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 297

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. He was a three-star recruit. I'm sure every Iowa State fan would love a class of nothing but 3-stars. Three-stars are GOOD recruits. The problem we run into is when we have to settle for a bunch of 2-stars and no-stars.

If Robinson had been a 2-star in high school, you might have a point. But the way I see it, he's performing at right about where he was ranked.
    Exactly. He has performed like a 3 star. He will be at best a 5th round draft pick, which would make him a 3 star recruit and fits Rivals star rating system.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 32

You guys have said it correctly. Stars are also meant to measure the players ability to contribute right away.

The more quickly Rivals believes the athlete can contribute, the higher the rating.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by nickcyv View Post
    Johnson had the hype. He had a nickname. Rivals did a report on impact freshman and named Johnson. Johnson got early carries. DMAC was talking about him. Remeber Arob actually quit the team after DMAC left!
    I believe he quit before that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Keep in mind if you shook out all the players in the NFL and where they ranked coming out of high school there are likely more 2 or no star NFLers than 3's, 4's and 5's combined.

Iowa alone has at least 13 or 14, two star/walkons in the NFL and when you add up the tons & tons of players from nowheresville and the other teams like Wisco, Boston College, etc like Iowa who do an amazing job of finding poorly evaluated players?!?! Well you can imagine the NFL is chock full of those 2 star role players.

This past year 7 kids in the first round where 2 star players and that was down from 12 the year before. By percentage more 4's and 5's pan out for sure, but by shear numbers alone (what are there like 2000 or so 2 star recruits) there are typically more 2 star guys who end up being studs.

Iowa will probably start at least 7, 2-star or walk-on players next year with more on the 2nd team. The rankings do have "some" merit, but some of these coaches just do a much better job of truly evaluating talent. Of course they should as their jobs depend on it, right?!

Chad

Thumbs Up

Stars certainly do matter. There are just many exceptions. As someone else said, they are basically probabilities.

"I am so proud... I am so proud to be your football coach!" -- Paul Rhoads