Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Listened to Jamie Pollard Tonight

I was at a meeting tonight for my college club and Jamie Pollard was our guest speaker.

JP talked about a lot of things about how he came to ISU, leadership, and the coaches and of course the football ticket situation.

When he started out he told a story of and Cyclone blogger who told an anecdote to the tune of the doctors and lawyers of the East (Hawkeyes) didn't care to much for the farmers of the west (Cyclones) for a long time, but now the farmers have traded in their shovels for pitchforks and have seized the power. (That is just the general gist of it anyways, it was a good story)

A few things I learned from tonight.

1) Jamie described himself as a "builder", not a maintainer. This leads me to believe that if Jamie ever escalates this to where I am sure he would like it to be, he just might leave for another rebuilding project somewhere else. But I would assume that to not be for a long time, but I would say there is always that possibility that Jamie may leave, not for another major program but for another project somewhere else.

2) He talked about how he believed Coach Gene Chizik had goals for beating Texas and Oklahoma, one team we have never beaten (Texas) and one team that I believe he said we were 5-72 all-time against (Oklahoma), he mentioned how much he cared for Dan McCarney, but believed Dan always kept to being able to beat the Toledo, UNI, and Kent States of the world. He also mentioned that Greg McDermott was the type of guy who could be a "great coach", as in JP's definition of a "great coach" being the type that could win the games you're not supposed to win as opposed to being the one that won all the games you were supposed to.

3) Jamie also talked about the Iowa season ticket situation and how he was pleased that once again we were shattering records and mentioned how if the ticket sales for football reached 36,000 he would be dancing in the streets. He believes that a lot of people are holding out on buying tickets for belief that they the Athletic Department will crack and start delving out season tickets. He seems content to believe that he'll either be regarded as that "idiot" for having tried or the great genius, and he seems content with either result. JP also said that those offended by their market scheme are either those who only buy the Iowa ticket to sell it, those people who believe the AD has take away their "god given right to come back once every two years", and Iowa fans, which as he put it, "is not my job as ISU AD to take care of Iowa fans". He actually said if they want to be mad at anyone to go to the Iowa Athletic Department and donate more money so they can get a hold of the 4,000 tickets that ISU is required to give Iowa, so he figures he is helping Iowa out by suggesting more people donate to the Iowa Athletic Department. But he figures if Iowa fans just buy the season tickets for the Iowa game at roughly a $240 clip rather than cough up $2,000 for the rights to one of Iowa's 4k seats for the better deal, thereby helping ISU.

In general, I still think Jamie is a brilliant mind who loves his work and enjoys seeing Iowa State succeed.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 31

Re: Listened to Jamie Pollard Tonight

Thanks for the overview.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I agree with the statement about JP being a builder. I don't see him being an AD for life type, like Bump Elliot was at Iowa.

I think that he is also young enough that if he were to see his vision come to fruition, and the facilities and athletic teams became competitive, then he would need to start looking for his next challenge. He is not a guy that will be satisfied just maintaining a program, he wants to put his stamp on whatever he is doing.

Now, the fact that the man has a pretty healthy ego (required if he is to undertake what he is doing here so it is NOT a bad thing) does not mean that I think that he will be leaving anytime soon. There is a lot of work to do before any of what he wants to do here actually happens.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

I for one hope he sticks around at least 10 more years..

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I for one hope he sticks around at least 10 more years..
    I figure he will. Realistically it will probably take that long before any of us would probably considered us established if things were to go remarkably well and I would hope that with the type of person Jamie comes across as being that he will probably stay through as long as his children are still in high school. But that would just be my thoughts and that probably puts us through 15 more years.

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,397
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

JP is the man. I mean this seriously. I don't think I have ever been around a more visionary self starter. He doesn't just take the path of least resistance. He takes the path he wants to take. It is so nice to have a smart, independent thinker running our athletic department. Heck, IMO, JP could be CEO at many large companies and do better than the current CEO. It is nice he is on our team.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just as with any of our coaches... if JP, Gene, or GMac have themselves in a position to advance their career at a higher profile job means that they did something right while here at ISU. And if that's the case, I would be more than happy to wish them well on their next job while celebrating a conference championship or two.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    Just as with any of our coaches... if JP, Gene, or GMac have themselves in a position to advance their career at a higher profile job means that they did something right while here at ISU. And if that's the case, I would be more than happy to wish them well on their next job while celebrating a conference championship or two.
    I used to have this same way of thinking, but then remembered that Smith had the Athletic Department doing pretty well when he went on to bigger and better things, and we all know what happened after he left.

I do have a lot more confidence in Geoffrey to get the right guy if in fact JP ever decides to move on. Much more than I had in Martin Jiscke.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

I think Geoffroy understands how important it is to have a thriving athletic program. Athletics bring a lot of good publicity to the school if they're doing well. Jischke didn't seem to give a rip.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

If he gets ISU to the point where it's no longer a "project", but success is in maintenance mode and decides to move on...

I'll shake his hand, kiss his feet and wish the man well.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I think Geoffroy understands how important it is to have a thriving athletic program. Athletics bring a lot of good publicity to the school if they're doing well. Jischke didn't seem to give a rip.
    This is 100% accurate. Our president deserves a ton of credit for getting such a great AD, giving him the tools to be successful and supporting him along the way.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Many on here don't give him the credit he deserves but you are correct!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We also had Geoffrey in during our previous meeting prior to the one where Pollard spoke.

Geoffrey talked about how Jamie was one of his best and proudest hires and talked about one of his goals for JP was actually to make sure we kept Cael Sanderson at the university.

JP also speaks very highly of Geoffrey and enjoys working for him, he listed that as a key to why he is at Iowa State and will remain at Iowa State. I would say JP stays as long as Geoffrey does.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by price26 View Post

Geoffrey talked about how Jamie was one of his best and proudest hires and talked about one of his goals for JP was actually to make sure we kept Cael Sanderson at the university.

JP also speaks very highly of Geoffrey and enjoys working for him, he listed that as a key to why he is at Iowa State and will remain at Iowa State. I would say JP stays as long as Geoffrey does.
    Great combination now matter how you slice it. Glad to have 'em both

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 79

I remember when Geoffrey was hired when I was still in school and people were very worried that he didn't care about athletics and would screw things up. Turns out, he's quite the opposite.