Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

NCAA - Mark Emmert to be new President

I just read that Mark Emmert is going to be the new President of the NCAA.

Most recently he has been President of the University of Washington. Prior to that he was Chancellor at LSU. I met him while he was at LSU and he is a great guy...a very savvy guy. He has always been a guy that understoon the importance of sports in the university's overall mission. He has always been a guy willing to pay for excellence in the sports programs at the schools he led. He understands how to raise money.

Some are saying this hire is good for the big schools in the power conferences. Do any of you have any thoughts?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

Re: NCAA - Mark Emmert to be new President

Well, at least we have the name of the guy that's going to screw ISU on an annual basis...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Interesting that this seems to provoke little interest amongst Cyclone fans.

I know 'Mayor Mania' is sweeping the streets but I predict that someday you will look back and say the hiring of Emmert to lead the NCAA was very big news. Emmert is not a status quo kind of guy...he is an action guy. He is smart and persuasive. Things in the NCAA will change under his leadership.

Just two things that I think he will tackle...a FB playoff (which he favors) and abolition of the 1 & done rule in MBB (he does not like 1 & done). I have heard he is planning to sit down and talk with David Stern (who, I believe, would like players to have to stay 2 years in college).

At any rate...things will be shaken up with Emmert at the helm...mark my words.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,137
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post

I know 'Mayor Mania' is sweeping the streets but I predict that someday you will look back and say the hiring of Emmert to lead the NCAA was very big news. Emmert is not a status quo kind of guy...he is an action guy. He is smart and persuasive. Things in the NCAA will change under his leadership.

Just two things that I think he will tackle...a FB playoff (which he favors) and abolition of the 1 & done rule in MBB (he does not like 1 & done). I have heard he is planning to sit down and talk with David Stern (who, I believe, would like players to have to stay 2 years in college).

I agree with both of those things, so from the little info I have, I like the guy.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

Two biggest gripes people have about college sports, and those two things are his top agenda. Nice.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 42

I used to be on the side that hated the one and done, however I have changed my tune on it. I think that if you make them stay longer all you may end up doing is creating a larger gap. Lets say in a class there are 10 one and done guys. The vast majority will go to a big name school. So say 10 schools get them. One player can make a huge difference in basketball. Let's say this happens two years in a row. Now you have 10 schools with 2 guys that single handedly can change the competition level of a team. I just think that with the one and done you get enough circulation through the "high talent" schools that the smaller schools can build teams through experience and chemistry and can compete better.

Of course the other argument is that they may be more likely to go to a smaller name school because of playing time. I definitely understand that argument and it is totally viable, however I don't know if that outweighs a greater chance at winning a National Championship when no matter where you go, you will be a star.

That is a tough one that, honestly, I don't know the complete answer to, but I would lean towards the first argument.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Thumbs Up

This post is seriously awesome.
    Let's see, we've got condescention:
    Condemnation:
    I know 'Mayor Mania' is sweeping the streets
    Prognostication:
    things will be shaken up with Emmert at the helm...mark my words
    and aggrandization:
    I predict that someday you will look back and say the hiring of Emmert to lead the NCAA was very big news...
    You sir, are the winner. bravo.

Wear the fox hat.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LonoClone View Post
    This post is seriously awesome.
    Let's see, we've got condescention:

Condemnation:

Prognostication:

and aggrandization:

You sir, are the winner. bravo.
    You better haul a dictionary out before you try to use big words...the only one you got right was prognostication.

I do appreciate, however, that you find my posts so thought provoking that you feel they need to be analyzed.