Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 91

Mesmerized By Hoiberg

Just watched the presser and these are my thoughts.

In general, I was mesmerized. The stories he told and the names he dropped had my heart pumping. My god this guy is connected like only a handful of people are in the college game. Hoiberg isn't just a casual acquaintance of the basketball elite, he's real life pals with them. Players, coaches, general manages, all of them legends in the game. What recruit is going to say no to that?! Kids want to play in the Big XII with hopes of going to the NBA, Hoiberg and now Iowa State represent a portal to their future dreams and asperations.

Hoiberg will be fine as a coach in Ames. He admittedly understands he needs an assistant with head coaching experience. I was impressed when he sad the Tim Floyd already had a list of guys he's call to help fill out his bench.

I loved it when Fred said that he worked with a guy in the T-Wolves organization that ran the biggest basketball camp in Europe and that he wanted to tap that pipeline. And at one point said that he had GMs saying, "Do you need players? I'll get you players". Are you effing kidding me?! We all know that TALENT wins games primarily. I can't freaking wait to see what Hoibers and JT can bring in these next few recruiting classes. Prepare to be over recruited current players. I love it!

If (and this is a big IF) Hoiberg can get 2 top-notch assistants to help ease his growing pains while transitioning into his job + the crazy talent I now think Fred is capable of bringing to Ames, there is no doubt we will be contending for conference championships. It's going to be ugly, it may take some time, but I truly believe this thing can work and work well.

Whadda you guys think?

Last edited by helechopper; 04-28-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 51

Re: Mesmerized By Hoiberg

I noticed during the press conference that when Hoiberg mentioned European players, our current players (Garrett, Dendy, JVB, and Bubu) looked at each other and kind of laughed and rolled their eyes. It appears they don't think too much of their previous experience with a european player.

Rookie
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

100% agree. I think he will make postseason play at least 2 of the next 4 years, maybe even all 4. I dont think this will be as rough of a transition as people think.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    I noticed during the press conference that when Hoiberg mentioned European players, our current players (Garrett, Dendy, JVB, and Bubu) looked at each other and kind of laughed and rolled their eyes. It appears they don't think too much of their previous experience with a european player.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking about that

Seriously though.... sounds like this guy has a heck of a network to tap into

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Prospect
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. We have a young inexperienced coach who will make mistakes as he grows up. My biggest concern is no coaching experience.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 771
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

I think most everyone is too high on nostalgia right now and aren't thinking common sense.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by helechopper View Post
    Just watched the presser and these are my thoughts.

In general, I was mesmerized. The stories he told and the names he dropped had my heart pumping. My god this guy is connected like only a handful of people are in the college game. Hoiberg isn't just a casual acquaintance of the basketball elite, he's real life pals with them. Players, coaches, general manages, all of them legends in the game. What recruit is going to say no to that?! Kids want to play in the Big XII with hopes of going to the NBA, Hoiberg and now Iowa State represent a portal to their future dreams and asperations.

Hoiberg will be fine as a coach in Ames. He admittedly understands he needs an assistant with head coaching experience. I was impressed when he sad the Tim Floyd already had a list of guys he's call to help fill out his bench.

I loved it when Fred said that he worked with a guy in the T-Wolves organization that ran the biggest basketball camp in Europe and that he wanted to tap that pipeline. And at one point said that he had GMs saying, "Do you need players? I'll get you players". Are you effing kidding me?! We all know that TALENT wins games primarily. I can't freaking wait to see what Hoibers and JT can bring in these next few recruiting classes. Prepare to be over recruited current players. I love it!

If (and this is a big IF) Hoiberg can get 2 top-notch assistants to help ease his growing pains while transitioning into his job + the crazy talent I now think Fred is capable of bringing to Ames, there is no doubt we will be contending for conference championships. It's going to be ugly, it may take some time, but I truly believe this thing can work and work well.

Whadda you guys think?
    It really "feels" right. I have long believed that intuition is highly under-rated. Rather than a knee jerk type thing, intuition is often the way a life's experience and perspectives are quickly summed up. This hire is intuitive.

Early commit - fall 2024

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bardman View Post
    100% agree. I think he will make postseason play at least 2 of the next 4 years, maybe even all 4. I dont think this will be as rough of a transition as people think.
    I was waiting for people to start jumping to conclusions....aaaannnnndddd, there it is.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    I think most everyone is too high on nostalgia right now and aren't thinking common sense.
    DING DING DING DING!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 606
    Given: 389

I was waiting for people to start jumping to conclusions....aaaannnnndddd, there it is.
    Or you may be pleasantly suirprised. I would think he could make halftime adjustments. After playing each of the Big 12 coaches, he will also have a better feel.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

A coldly logical point. We are running a bit on nostalgia. Fred is totally unproven as a coach. As are TJ and JG in their present higher positions. It's best to be cautious and not overreact to sentiment.

However, nostalgia does bring to mind past references to 'up tempo' basketball, something not seen for awhile here. To 'Hilton Magic', when the Hawkeye players didn't come out to be introduced before the game because they couldn't hear the PA calling their names. The Okie State player bonking two free throws that would have won the game because the floor was shaking from the noise. Fizer dunking on Mims. You can name your own favorite buzzer beater or upset special.

If Fred's going to be a combination of Johnny Orr offense and Tim Floyd defense, nostalgia won't be all we have to live on.

I bleed Cardinal & Gold

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 7

I think he emphasized that he has been carefully studying coaches and made calculations of his own about how to coach. He already has a lot of Jerry Sloan in him. A lot of people on the Hawk boards like to look at Drexler, Jordan and others who were great players but sucked at higher capacity...why not look at some good players-turn-coaches? Sloan, Jackson, heck- even Bird had some success...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyingreen View Post
    A coldly logical point. We are running a bit on nostalgia. Fred is totally unproven as a coach. As are TJ and JG in their present higher positions. It's best to be cautious and not overreact to sentiment.

However, nostalgia does bring to mind past references to 'up tempo' basketball, something not seen for awhile here. To 'Hilton Magic', when the Hawkeye players didn't come out to be introduced before the game because they couldn't hear the PA calling their names. The Okie State player bonking two free throws that would have won the game because the floor was shaking from the noise. Fizer dunking on Mims. You can name your own favorite buzzer beater or upset special.

If Fred's going to be a combination of Johnny Orr offense and Tim Floyd defense, nostalgia won't be all we have to live on.
    great post. i too think not everyone is thinking clearly. but i am willing to give it a shot, and hope to god it works out. go clones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 61

Sounds like the 2000 team.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh, I agree. We do need a little magic, but that can't be all that we have. It is a little too "happy fluffy rainbow gumdrops" around here and I believe there are serious questions on Hoiberg having not coached a game, the changing Big 12 atmosphere, and who his assistants will be. I know he has addressed some of these issues in the presser, but it is all talk right now...it all sounds good. Don't let my post fool you though, I am optimistic and I will very much be supporting ISU and watching intently as I have been doing.