Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Brian Gregory

  1. #1
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Brian Gregory

    I keep hearing his name a lot from Cyclone fans. He was a crowd favorite by a lot of fans when Iowa was looking into their search as well. I know that he was very interested in the Iowa job and would have taken it if they would have waited for him to finish up the NIT. He comes from the Tom Izzo coaching tree and is a Big 10 guy and wants nothing more than to be a head coach in the Big 10. With that said I really think this would be a bad hire.

    When he got to Dayton, they were one of the top Mid-Majors in the country. Oliver Purnell had build them up with some great talent before leaving to go to Clemson. He left that program in fantastic shape. Here are his last 4 years at Dayton.....

    1999–00 Dayton 22–9 11–5 1st–West
    2000–01 Dayton 21–13 9–7 6th
    2001–02 Dayton 21–11 10–6 3rd–West
    2002–03 Dayton 24–6 14–2 2nd–West


    So Brian Gregory gets there with the cupboard full and has 2 really nice first seasons at Dayton

    2003–2004 Dayton 24-9 12-4 1st (East)
    2004–2005 Dayton 18-11 10-6 T-2nd (West)


    Since than? He has finished 7th or worse in 4 out of 5 seasons in the conference. This in the Atlantic 10. A good mid major division for sure (if not the best) but still a conference that a coach that is getting BCS looks should do much better than that in. If you watch his teams play they generally get worse as the season goes on. In 2007 they started 14-1 and didn't make the dance. In 2006 same story. Started fast and didn't even make the NIT. Even this year they started 13-3 (2-0 in conference) and only won 6 of their last 14 games before going on the NIT run.

    2005–2006 Dayton 14-17 6-10 T-11th
    2006–2007 Dayton 19-12 8-8 T-7th
    2007–2008 Dayton 23-11 8-8 T-7th
    2008–2009 Dayton 27-8 11-5 T-2nd
    2009-2010 Dayton 25-12 8-8 7th

    Just my opinion here. I don't think he would be a good hire.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 259,639, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    13,367
    Points
    259,639
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 59

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I keep hearing his name a lot from Cyclone fans. He was a crowd favorite by a lot of fans when Iowa was looking into their search as well. I know that he was very interested in the Iowa job and would have taken it if they would have waited for him to finish up the NIT. He comes from the Tom Izzo coaching tree and is a Big 10 guy and wants nothing more than to be a head coach in the Big 10. With that said I really think this would be a bad hire.

    When he got to Dayton, they were one of the top Mid-Majors in the country. Oliver Purnell had build them up with some great talent before leaving to go to Clemson. He left that program in fantastic shape. Here are his last 4 years at Dayton.....

    1999–00 Dayton 22–9 11–5 1st–West
    2000–01 Dayton 21–13 9–7 6th
    2001–02 Dayton 21–11 10–6 3rd–West
    2002–03 Dayton 24–6 14–2 2nd–West


    So Brian Gregory gets there with the cupboard full and has 2 really nice first seasons at Dayton

    2003–2004 Dayton 24-9 12-4 1st (East)
    2004–2005 Dayton 18-11 10-6 T-2nd (West)


    Since than? He has finished 7th or worse in 4 out of 5 seasons in the conference. This in the Atlantic 10. A good mid major division for sure (if not the best) but still a conference that a coach that is getting BCS looks should do much better than that in. If you watch his teams play they generally get worse as the season goes on. In 2007 they started 14-1 and didn't make the dance. In 2006 same story. Started fast and didn't even make the NIT. Even this year they started 13-3 (2-0 in conference) and only won 6 of their last 14 games before going on the NIT run.

    2005–2006 Dayton 14-17 6-10 T-11th
    2006–2007 Dayton 19-12 8-8 T-7th
    2007–2008 Dayton 23-11 8-8 T-7th
    2008–2009 Dayton 27-8 11-5 T-2nd
    2009-2010 Dayton 25-12 8-8 7th

    Just my opinion here. I don't think he would be a good hire.
    Somewhat reminds me of where I felt like Eustachy was/was going, although Eustachy's first season was not good. None the less, I see your point and I agree.


    Last edited by chuckd4735; 04-27-2010 at 01:27 PM.

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 84,764, Level: 90
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Ciclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,834
    Points
    84,764
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 31

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Agreed.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 39,902, Level: 61
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,767
    Points
    39,902
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

    Re: Brian Gregory

    I can't believe people are saying Gregory wouldn't be a good hire. Yeah, maybe if we were Kansas it wouldn't be. Along with Nebraska we are by the worst team in the big 12 with few scholarship players returning.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 94,652, Level: 95
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,060
    Points
    94,652
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 51

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Personally I think he is one of the best names on our list, although I can understand why some might not care for him. He's young, learned from one of the best in Izzo and driven. He has also won a game in the NCAA tournament, which was my major problem with McD when he was hired. I think he knows and has what it takes to be successful here.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 19,335, Level: 42
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    becrisgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    860
    Points
    19,335
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 12

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    . Along with Nebraska we are by the worst team in the big 12 with few scholarship players returning.
    Oklahoma may have a dog in that fight as well.....

    Point aside, I would be comfortable with Gregory as the coach. However, he would not be my first choice (Jankovich). I am much more positive about the prospects than the last search. Choosing between McDermott and Jeter left much to be desired and never got me excited.

    I am excited about the possibilities of a Jankovich, BCG, Gregory, Montgomery, Gard coaching search!



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 40,185, Level: 61
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,479
    Points
    40,185
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Brian Gregory

    For those of you throwing around stats without actually following the UD team for most of their life seem to be forgetting that Purnell was there for nearly ten seasons, building that program to respectable records. The fact that Gregory came in, smooth transition, and maintained that level of success is what sells me. Saying this guy is a bad hire based on his record at UD is crazy, and even taking in the point that he won the NIT this year. He would be a great coach at a higher level, and he is showing he is ready for it on track.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,432, Level: 60
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,042
    Points
    38,432
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Quote Originally Posted by becrisgreg View Post
    Oklahoma may have a dog in that fight as well.....

    Point aside, I would be comfortable with Gregory as the coach. However, he would not be my first choice (Jankovich). I am much more positive about the prospects than the last search. Choosing between McDermott and Jeter left much to be desired and never got me excited.

    I am excited about the possibilities of a Jankovich, BCG, Gregory, Montgomery, Gard coaching search!
    Jank has less credentials then Mac did, count me in the group that in unimpressed with Gregory



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 259,639, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    13,367
    Points
    259,639
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 59

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    I can't believe people are saying Gregory wouldn't be a good hire. Yeah, maybe if we were Kansas it wouldn't be. Along with Nebraska we are by the worst team in the big 12 with few scholarship players returning.
    So we as fans should just keep expecting to remain towards the bottom? Pardon me for thinking ISU basketball should expect more...



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 19,258, Level: 42
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    greatshu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    1,633
    Points
    19,258
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Dont underestimate A10. They are really good conference. Probably better than Missouri Valley. Dayton plays twice a year against Xavier which is top 15 regular, plus they always have tough non-conference schedule. Brian Gregory is a great recruiter that's constantly getting 4+ star recruits. They had so many injuries past three seasons. Don't forget that they did beat very talented West Virginia Team last year.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 19,258, Level: 42
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    greatshu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    1,633
    Points
    19,258
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

    Re: Brian Gregory

    So you are saying that having winning record at Joe-Shomoe State in who knows what conference is better than Brian Gregory?



  12. #12
    Walk On
    Points: 8,704, Level: 27
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    183
    Points
    8,704
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Brian Gregory

    I get your point and agree with you. Brian is a coach to avoid



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 332,721, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,630
    Points
    332,721
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Agreed. Reminds me of Jeter too. Good start while coaching kids someone else recruited. Then has fallen off.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 274,405, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,332
    Points
    274,405
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 7

    Re: Brian Gregory

    He isn't my first choice but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he were to be our next head coach.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 39,902, Level: 61
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,767
    Points
    39,902
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

    Re: Brian Gregory

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    So we as fans should just keep expecting to remain towards the bottom? Pardon me for thinking ISU basketball should expect more...
    There is a difference between you expectations and who we actually have a realistic shot at getting.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM