Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

College Towns You've Partied in...

There's always been lots of debate on opinions of various college towns, and the like, so I thought it would be fun for people to rate the towns they've partied in, what they liked, disliked, and why. GO!

1) Fort Collins, CO. A GREAT college town. At the base of the Front Range, so you have the mountains right there. The Old Town area is very cool, with a wide range of bars, and a ton of local microbrews in the area, so the drinking is good. The people are friendly, and very laid back. The female scenery is ok, but nothing more than average.

2) Madison, WI. The quintessential party school, and it lives up to it's billing. Like FoCo, Madison has excellent scenery, being located on an isthmus between two lakes. When you combine the fact that UW is the only BCS sized school in the State, and it's also the State Capitol, you get an interesting mix. The people are crazy friendly, and love to drink with you.

3) Ames, IA. The sentimental pick. Honestly, a big reason I went to ISU was because I fell in love with the Campus and the town. I had visited U of I, and partied there in HS, and just didn't like the feel of the town. Ames and ISU were exactly what I was looking for in a college experience, and exactly what I got. Everyone is laid back, the house party scene was great, because as long as you had $5, you could have a hell of a good time! The bars, while not numerous or flashy, were affordable and fun. Good all around college town.

4) College Station, TX. People were incredibly friendly. Really, the first time I've experienced true Southern hospitality. Northgate, the main party area has a few more bars than Campustown, and just looks a little run down/bland, but it's a lot of fun. It's an extremely conservative town, so it's not necessarily as rowdy as some of the others, but still a lot of fun.

5) Iowa City, IA. Ah, going to the bars when you're 19. Bigger doesn't always mean better, and this place is an example. There's a lot of bars, but many of them had very little appeal to me. Same with the women. Sure, there's a lot of girls there, and plenty of good looking ones, but I can't stand most of them. As I got older, I've discovered that IC has some cool things to offer someone who isn't looking for the club scene. The best bars in that town are 21+, and the people that frequent those establishments don't carry the attitude.

6) Cedar Falls, IA. It's basically a smaller version of Ames, full of people who want to be in Iowa City. Thankfully, those folks leave on the weekends. While CF is kind of quiet and sleepy, it has by far, the most attractive female student body in the State. You get the cute small town girls, like you see at ISU as opposed to the over-mascara'd tramps from Chicago you see in other towns, which will remain nameless, but you see a TON of those cute small town girls because the two main majors are Education and Nursing. IMO, neither Iowa City or Ames can compare to CF on the female front. It's the total package, and helps make up for the somewhat lacking atmosphere.

7) Lincoln, NE. As Rodney Carrington said, "Home of the fat girl". We were in Lincoln for 2 days before we saw any good looking girls, but that said, when we got to the bars on O Street, the scenery was much better than we'd seen at the place resembling "Bob's Country Bunker" from the Blues Brothers. O Street was fun, combining a larger city downtown, with a college bar feel, but it's hard to get past those bars closing at 1PM, and Nebraskan's are just so damn tame.

I've tailgated in lots of other places, like Columbia, Waco, and Manhattan, but didn't really hang out there at night, so I can't fairly critique them.

I know I'll be ripped for where I put Ames, but I don't care. I came to ISU because I loved the feel and atmosphere of the Campus and Campustown area. I don't just put Ames that high because I went here. I'll always love Ames and ISU, and all of my friends who went to school in other places, and came to visit Ames had an absolute blast, and rank it very high as a great college town.

This list just reflects what I look for in a good college town, and what I've experienced. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 04-27-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Re: College Towns You've Partied in...

There is definitely an argument to be made for Ames! How about Cy-Hawk weekend last year...CRAZY! and not to even mention VEISHEA!

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 135

Quote Originally Posted by CY9008 View Post
    There is definitely an argument to be made for Ames! How about Cy-Hawk weekend last year...CRAZY! and not to even mention VEISHEA!
    I'm assuming you haven't been in Ames long if you think the last Cy-Hawk weekend was crazy. 2005 set the bar pretty high, IMO.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I'm assuming you haven't been in Ames long if you think the last Cy-Hawk weekend was crazy. 2005 set the bar pretty high, IMO.
    I thought this one was par for the course for Cy-Hawk. Not unusually crazy, nor unusually lame.

I'd say 2007 was the craziest, IMO, but '03 and '05 were both really wild.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 135

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I thought this one was par for the course for Cy-Hawk. Not unusually crazy, nor unusually lame.

I'd say 2007 was the craziest, IMO, but '03 and '05 were both really wild.
    2007 was up there, the only setback for me was how freakishly cold it was tailgating, and the early game. 2005 was very very nice out, and tailgating started at a decent time!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I think Cedar Falls is kind of underrated. I've never had a bad time there. It really isn't as sleepy as you say it is if you know a few people. I'm really looking forward to going to Austin for the Texas-ISU game, I'm sure that will be at the top of my list after that weekend.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 48

Nowhere near the list, but I've been to Aggieville in Manhattan, KS and that was a great time. I was down at Ft. Riley for 3 and half months prior to deployment and that was or 'go-to' spot. Of course, Ames, Cedar Falls and IC, but only a few times.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    I think Cedar Falls is kind of underrated. I've never had a bad time there. It really isn't as sleepy as you say it is if you know a few people. I'm really looking forward to going to Austin for the Texas-ISU game, I'm sure that will be at the top of my list after that weekend.
    I'll be there, and I'm thinking the exact same thing. If Austin doesn't top my list after that, I'll be disappointed. That said, I assumed Texas BBQ was going to be a culinary orgasm, and it wasn't anything better than you'd get at Battles.

Still, NWIH Austin isn't a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckd4735
    2007 was up there, the only setback for me was how freakishly cold it was tailgating, and the early game. 2005 was very very nice out, and tailgating started at a decent time!
    I just like how I left a raging kegger at my place in order to get in line for the lots in 2007. It just really felt like the party never stopped from 4PM on Friday to 3AM Sunday.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Austin is one the best that is for sure. 6th street is a little bit of a walk from campus but its managable especially after a few drinks. It is even crazy there on weeknights. Technically you could call Las Vegas ans New Orleans college towns too, both are awesome

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Ames, Norman, Stillwater, Manhattan, Lawrence, Cedar Falls, Columbia, Wichita, Pittsburg (KS)

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 101

This is going to sound dumb but I always had a ton of fun at Mankato State (now Minnesota State at Mankato) when my buddies went to school there.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    This is going to sound dumb but I always had a ton of fun at Mankato State (now Minnesota State at Mankato) when my buddies went to school there.
    Not at all. I totally forgot about it before this post, but I've partied at Winona State before, and it was a pretty good time. It was their homecoming, and I had buddies from high school that went there. It was a lot of fun the first time I was there, but just got a little weaker every time I went back. Still, usually had a good time.

It would be #8 on my list, then. The complete lack of drunk food kills it, but it had a solid house party scene.

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

1) Ames (ISU) - Yes I may be a little biased but the way campustown is set up and how everything is in close proximity makes Ames my number 1! Campustown does, however, need a little face-lift! I've also never been to a college town with fun apartments such as Legacy and Cyclone.

2) Iowa City (Iowa) - I hate ranking them this high but if you mass amounts of people in a 3 block radius week in and week out, Iowa City is the place. Plus I probably have a better time than most when I go there because all my old high school friends are there and have places. I always see at least 20 people I know when I go there, which makes it fun.

3) South Bend (Notre Dame) - It's a little different and the girls are terrible when compared to ISU but I've been there 4 times to party and always had a blast for some reason. I think it's the different catholic atmosphere, plus I randomly ran into Ryan Hornacek (Jeff's son) who goes to ND and we had a pretty lengthy conversation.

4) Cedar Falls (UNI) - The girls are the best in the state, I'm kind of kicking myself for not partying there enough in recent years. Although last weekend I had a bad experience, but I won't get into that since I already posted it and it got deleted!

5) Minneapolis (Minnesota) - "Dinkytown" is the lamest excuse for a college bar scene for a school of its size... it has like 3 bars... The downtown and uptown bars are a ton of fun though, but that isn't really a college scene since there are people of all ages at the downtown bars.

6) Chicago (Depaul) - Just bad... plain bad, it's spread out in Chicago in like 4 different campus's so there is nothing in close proximity and like with Minneapolis, the bars are going to have a very diverse crowd so it's not really like a college scene. Went to some house parties by Wrigley that were OK at best.

7) Minnesota State (Formerly Mankato State) - Ugliest college women I've ever seen and the parties were even worse...

My College town wish list:

1) Austin (Texas)
    2) Madison (Wisc)
    3) Arizona State
    4) Eugene (Oregon)
    5) New Brunswick (Rutgers)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 14

Madison is my #1. It's great. I'll 2nd Stewo about Manhattan. Lot's of outside bar areas.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Austin is definetelly #1. Stay at a hotel within walking distance to 6th Street if you go to the game this fall. You will not regret it.