Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 19,682, Level: 42
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pants-free Avenue
    Posts
    806
    Points
    19,682
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    I am a very happy guy today. I have not liked our coach and wanted him gone for two years now, so don't get me wrong, I'm a happy guy. Coach McD has always annoyed me with the things he says and his failure to face the truth, but some of his quotes from yesterday really bug me.

    Why on earth was the opportunity to coach his son at Creighton such a big deal? Didn't he have that exact same opportunity to do that in Ames at ISU? So he didn't think his son was a Big 12 talent. Maybe competing against better talent would've made his son a better player, it's not like we didn't have the scholarships open.

    Even on his way out the door though, he's playing this off like that was his main reason for leaving. Not that fact that he's been horrible at ISU, was going to get canned next year and ZERO talent coming back and was given a gift in the Creighton job. Tell it like it for once at least McD. Good riddance.


    ...Straight going donkey...

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 101,993, Level: 99
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,057
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,319
    Points
    101,993
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 34

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    It's pretty simple to me. He and Doug don't think that he would excel in the Big 12. I think it is that simple.

    Now, I'm guessing that isn't the only reason and he said that the job secruity was a factor. But I'm guessing that if the offer had been from Indiana State, he would still be here. Creighton was Doug's second choice and the opportunity presented itself.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,253, Level: 90
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,708
    Points
    85,253
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam View Post
    I am a very happy guy today. I have not liked our coach and wanted him gone for two years now, so don't get me wrong, I'm a happy guy. Coach McD has always annoyed me with the things he says and his failure to face the truth, but some of his quotes from yesterday really bug me.

    Why on earth was the opportunity to coach his son at Creighton such a big deal? Didn't he have that exact same opportunity to do that in Ames at ISU? So he didn't think his son was a Big 12 talent. Maybe competing against better talent would've made his son a better player, it's not like we didn't have the scholarships open.

    Even on his way out the door though, he's playing this off like that was his main reason for leaving. Not that fact that he's been horrible at ISU, was going to get canned next year and ZERO talent coming back and was given a gift in the Creighton job. Tell it like it for once at least McD. Good riddance.
    Looks to me like GMac and Doug didn't think Doug was Big 12 talent. It would have been awful selfish of GMac to have Doug come to ISU just so he could coach him and he could sit on the bench. At the same time people like you would be ******** up and down that we wasted roster space and a scholly on the coaches son.


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 408,101, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,103
    Points
    408,101
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 613

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Some people put family ahead of their jobs. Hey, you have to have a reason to move.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 19,682, Level: 42
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pants-free Avenue
    Posts
    806
    Points
    19,682
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    He wasted multiple scholarships every year he was here. I wouldn't have minded Doug here because at least you knew he wasn't likely going to transfer as long as his dad was here.


    ...Straight going donkey...

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,744, Level: 95
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    94,744
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    It's pretty simple to me. He and Doug don't think that he would excel in the Big 12. I think it is that simple.

    Now, I'm guessing that isn't the only reason and he said that the job secruity was a factor. But I'm guessing that if the offer had been from Indiana State, he would still be here. Creighton was Doug's second choice and the opportunity presented itself.
    This...



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 27,767, Level: 51
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 883
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,823
    Points
    27,767
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 160

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    The coaching his son spin is just that, more spin.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 27,244, Level: 50
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bettendorf
    Posts
    1,996
    Points
    27,244
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    McD cited the opportunity to coach his son (who will be released from his UNI scholly) as a reason for taking the Creighton job. Interesting. Same thing could've happened had he signed him to play at I-State. Obviously, he was protecting his son from the inevitible... must've known he was history, so why bring his kid in, then force him to sit out a year before transfering to wherever McD ended up. Couldn't have worked better. Have UNI sign Doug, McD gets a new job and his best friend Jake signs a release to allow Doug to follow dad. Who said McD wasn't a brilliant tactician?!?!?



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 95,992, Level: 96
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,176
    Points
    95,992
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 188

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    What I find infuriating as a dual ISU/UNI fan is that he is taking Doug away from UNI to go play for him (it isn't settled or done yet contrary to reports, but the writing is on the wall). I find that very selfish of him and quite a slap in the face to his alma mater and best friend.

    Before I knew that Doug was going to follow him to Creighton I was wishing him luck. Now? Don't care if he never has another winning season again.


    Hey! 1,000 posts! Happy Day!


    Last edited by ISUChippewa; 04-27-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 560,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,524
    Points
    560,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 192

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Ummm...every coach is in an interview every day until they officially retire. EVERY DAY OF THEIR COACHING LIFE. Would you hire the guy who said, "My tenure at (blank) was just terrible, I didn't do this or that, my players kept leaving, I had the excitement level of a potato during my post-game losing conferences, etc" as he moved on to another program. Hell no. Coaches must remain positive about their previous job or look way up when talking about the place they are moving to otherwise if they need to (or want to) move again the chances may not be there.

    I'm glad he is gone but it is unrealistic to expect him to tell it like it really is.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 19,682, Level: 42
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pants-free Avenue
    Posts
    806
    Points
    19,682
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    The coaching his son spin is just that, more spin.
    Yep, ain't that the truth. The guy never once could face the facts while he was the coach, so why would he on his way out I guess.

    KG, nice to see you back. I would bet that after having a good cry yesterday you are ready to ROCK today. Guess all that stuff about us McD being ISUs coach for the foreseeable future didn't pan out. What's your take on JVB?


    ...Straight going donkey...

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,744, Level: 95
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    94,744
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam View Post
    Yep, ain't that the truth. The guy never once could face the facts while he was the coach, so why would he on his way out I guess.

    KG, nice to see you back. I would bet that after having a good cry yesterday you are ready to ROCK today. Guess all that stuff about us McD being ISUs coach for the foreseeable future didn't pan out. What's your take on JVB?
    Going to have to catch me up on JVB...what's going on?



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 408,101, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,103
    Points
    408,101
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 613

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blandboy View Post
    McD cited the opportunity to coach his son (who will be released from his UNI scholly) as a reason for taking the Creighton job. Interesting. Same thing could've happened had he signed him to play at I-State. Obviously, he was protecting his son from the inevitible... must've known he was history, so why bring his kid in, then force him to sit out a year before transfering to wherever McD ended up. Couldn't have worked better. Have UNI sign Doug, McD gets a new job and his best friend Jake signs a release to allow Doug to follow dad. Who said McD wasn't a brilliant tactician?!?!?
    Maybe the reason it took so long to decide was they needed to work it out with UNI.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 19,682, Level: 42
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pants-free Avenue
    Posts
    806
    Points
    19,682
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    Going to have to catch me up on JVB...what's going on?
    I just wanted to know what you thought about his quote where he said he hopes whoever the new coach that comes in let's him dunk the ball in practice more than McD did.


    ...Straight going donkey...

  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,253, Level: 90
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,708
    Points
    85,253
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Even in Departing I Still Find McD Infuriating....

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    What I find infuriating as a dual ISU/UNI fan is that he is taking Doug away from UNI to go play for him (it isn't settled or done yet contrary to reports, but the writing is on the wall). I find that very selfish of him and quite a slap in the face to his alma mater and best friend.

    Before I knew that Doug was going to follow him to Creighton I was wishing him luck. Now? Don't care if he never has another winning season again.


    Hey! 1,000 posts! Happy Day!
    I am guessing his best friend doesn't see it as a as slap in the face or he wouldn't let him out of his LOI. And the same with UNI. But then Ben probably has a better understanding of the situation than a bitter ISU fan. Just saying.
    There are plenty of reasons to dislike GMac and be happy he is gone. This isn't one of them. He has to make statements and he isn't going to say," I am so glad Creighton came calling because I was going to be fired anyway."


    "Not at the table Carlos."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM