Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 1

A simple LE question

Is there a limit to how many threads I can start, we'll see I suppose, not trying to take over the main page...

All other things aside (and there are a lot of other things), I have one simple question for those that are most in favor of LE coming back.

LE has by all accounts changed his life since he got booted from ISU with his alcohol ordeal--clearly a changed man. But has that change in his personal life affected his coaching in any way, potentially negative? Is he the same tenacious guy in practice and on the sidelines with the same drive and passion for the game? Or are other things in life more important?

Okay, that was more than one question, but it is meant as an honest question. I have no way of knowing the answer, haven't been to Hattiesburg, well, ever.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 748
    Given: 93

Re: A simple LE question

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Is there a limit to how many threads I can start, we'll see I suppose, not trying to take over the main page...

All other things aside (and there are a lot of other things), I have one simple question for those that are most in favor of LE coming back.

LE has by all accounts changed his life since he got booted from ISU with his alcohol ordeal--clearly a changed man. But has that change in his personal life affected his coaching in any way, potentially negative? Is he the same tenacious guy in practice and on the sidelines with the same drive and passion for the game? Or are other things in life more important?

Okay, that was more than one question, but it is meant as an honest question. I have no way of knowing the answer, haven't been to Hattiesburg, well, ever.
    You know,I would have had the same argument earlier today, however, while waiting to get on the air with CHris I heard a pretty good theory. Maybe he doesn't have the passion that he would have if he were back here. Maybe that is the key. Having said that he will still not be coming back.

It's all snark from here on out

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,030
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112

Yeah, I'm not arguing the odds of it happening. I'm mainly just saying that you have to believe he isn't the same coach we were all accustomed to 7 years ago.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

The Larry experiment is probably not yet until he has more success. His cursing is probably not a match for JP and a family crowd unless he has changed.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 162

LE had exactly 2 good seasons in Ames. Ok, those were pretty great seasons, but it was because of Tinsley. W/o Tinsley, LE's record at ISU is pretty bad. LE followed up back-to-back Big XII titles with a 10-18 (3-13) record the next year. No thanks.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 427

Not knowing much about LE's current team, its hard to tell.. he hasnt had a whole lot of postseason success, but has anyone ever at Southern Miss?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 427

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    LE had exactly 2 good seasons in Ames. Ok, those were pretty great seasons, but it was because of Tinsley. W/o Tinsley, LE's record at ISU is pretty bad. LE followed up back-to-back Big XII titles with a 10-18 (3-13) record the next year. No thanks.
    His last season was an NIT season and he was poised to have an NCAA season the next year.

Prospect
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

With today's more mentally fragile players I doubt his tough love approach would be as effective. Having said that I do think LE lost some of his effectiveness because of the way he painted himself prior to cleaning up. Although as time passes most recruits probably dont even remember his ISU days as much as fans do.

Plus wasn't LE not the best co-worker off the court? That in itself sealed his fate to return.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    His last season was an NIT season and he was poised to have an NCAA season the next year.
    5-11 in the Big XII that NIT season, very impressive. That's just slightly better than the guy who just left town that everyone couldn't wait to fire.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 210

Here's how an ISU coed remembers Larry - excerpt from the Iowa State Daily, May 2001
    +++

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/articl...1-archive3.txt

One ISU student said she was glad with Van De Velde's decision to recommend Eustachy's termination due to his behavior, as she's witnessed Eustachy's behavior while at Ames bars.

"Someone called him over to our table, but he stayed there a little bit beyond his welcome," said Heather Kuhl, senior in accounting, referring to an evening earlier this semester at Welch Avenue Station, 207 Welch Ave.

Kuhl said Eustachy was stumbling and drinking when he approached her and her friends.

"He was very drunk and he came over to our table and was trying to buy us drinks," said Kuhl, who said she had not been drinking that night.

During the 10 to 15 minutes he spent with Kuhl and her friends, she said Eustachy began making vulgar comments.

"We were playing this 'beaver' game where you had to add 'beaver' to the end of a movie title," she said. "He said during that, 'Well, you know what I like? Shaved beaver. You should let someone shave your beaver at some point in your life.' "

Kuhl said she does not approve of Eustachy's behavior -- which she described as "not proper for a married person" -- and wants the university to fire him for the embarrassment he has caused Iowa State.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I would have absolutely loved to see what LE would have done with Blaylock and Stinson at the helm. I honestly think if that team was well coached, we could have seen a couple more Elite 8 appearances. Ifs, Ands, and Buts, I know.

If he came and had Colvin, Dendy, Ejim, Philips, and the others to work on, I guarantee he would get the most out of them. I realize its not happening, but just makes you wonder.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    Here's how an ISU coed remembers Larry - excerpt from the Iowa State Daily, May 2001
    +++

Students, residents have wide variety of responses to decision

One ISU student said she was glad with Van De Velde's decision to recommend Eustachy's termination due to his behavior, as she's witnessed Eustachy's behavior while at Ames bars.

"Someone called him over to our table, but he stayed there a little bit beyond his welcome," said Heather Kuhl, senior in accounting, referring to an evening earlier this semester at Welch Avenue Station, 207 Welch Ave.

Kuhl said Eustachy was stumbling and drinking when he approached her and her friends.

"He was very drunk and he came over to our table and was trying to buy us drinks," said Kuhl, who said she had not been drinking that night.

During the 10 to 15 minutes he spent with Kuhl and her friends, she said Eustachy began making vulgar comments.

"We were playing this 'beaver' game where you had to add 'beaver' to the end of a movie title," she said. "He said during that, 'Well, you know what I like? Shaved beaver. You should let someone shave your beaver at some point in your life.' "

Kuhl said she does not approve of Eustachy's behavior -- which she described as "not proper for a married person" -- and wants the university to fire him for the embarrassment he has caused Iowa State.
    I got a chuckle out of that story....

I ran into Larry once when he'd been drinking. It was right about the time Shane Power was moving on and he was in a foul, foul mood.

I think there are a lot of those stories floating around out there.

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 212

Not every coach can win 20 wins EVERY single year. Did Larry have some down years after his titles? Sure, but at a school such as this it doesn't get better than a couple conference titles followed by a couple lean years followed by reloaded. Maybe his last season wasn't much better than McD...BUT I think you get a little more leeway when you bring a couple severed nets with you. Larry had some issues...mostly surrounding alcohol. A lot of coaches have some shady sides. Larry has exorcised his demons. I would welcome him back.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 8

LE is not coming to ISU even if they want him.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'm positive I read in the Register when Larry was dismissed that he and the school signed an agreement that he would never coach or attempt to coach at ISU again. I know that some contracts are made to be broken, but Geoffry was in on those negotiations and I'm sure he's never going to have the welcome mat out for Larry again.