Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 268

Apple versus Adobe

Apple vs. Adobe Flash War: Winners and Losers -- Seeking Alpha

There was an interesting development in the Apple (AAPL) vs. Adobe (ADBE) Flash War this week. Adobe decided to discontinue development of tools for making Flash apps for the iPhone family of devices. This may not sound like a big deal, but it is.
    Ninety-eight percent of desktop and laptop computers (including Macs) can run Flash video and other Flash apps. Most modern, Web 2.0-ish, multi-media sites incorporate some kind of Flash programming. Even though this is true, Apple has decided to make it almost impossible to display Flash video and apps on their iPhone, iPod Touch and new iPad devices. (The reason you can view YouTube on your iPhone is because YouTube uses H.264, an Apple-compatible format, not Flash when you access it from your iPhone.) You can Google the details of the fight; they are interesting, but the details are not the overarching issue.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 101

Re: Apple versus Adobe

I hope Apple implodes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Flash sucks so I'm fine with it. People forget that when Jobs first got back to Apple and OS X was new Apple went to Adobe and begged for them to write specifically for OS X. Instead Adobe came out and said they would release for Windows first and Apple second.

Walk On
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Who really cares about flash? Farmville addicts? If anything, not installing flash on my computer let's me avoid many stupid advertisements and distractions on web pages.

It should also be noted that I don't have high speed Internet so I can't use most of those fancy flash things anyway.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

It's a pain in the butt right now, considering all the stuff that uses Flash on the internet. LOTS of internet games based on flash, plus the video market. So for that, Apple is making that aspect of using their devices real annoying.

But, flash does SUCK. HARD. Sometimes I can barely do stuff with flash on my computer simply because it isn't some 3 GHZ brand new processor behemoth. Ridiculous how processor intensive it is.

I don't blame Adobe for doing this, since (I haven't read the article) I think tools like Adobe's for converting flash apps into iPhone apps won't be allowed in the next iteration of iPhone/iPod firmware. Maybe it isn't, I'd have to see what exactly applies, but I know that decision will affect a lot of apps that are currently allowed.

Either way, the more websites which use HTML5 video, and potentially other less CPU intensive ways of doing games, the more things my laptop will be able to handle without the processor freaking out (and do while running Linux for the same reason).