Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

MBB First Glance Next Year - Looks Bleak

No McDermott any more (according to everyone except C-Dubb at the moment). Say what you want, but with the incoming recruits, it is possible that after the shipwreck that was this past season, we might have had enough life-rafts for everyone on-board. We hired a couple of good assistants and had some good recruits ready to come in.

Now we will quite possibly lose players left on the roster. Our roster was already depleted. We will likely lose a bunch of recruits that we've been after. Hard for a new coach to get quality recruits this late in the game. There are seemingly few good candidates available (although that's always debatable, and $$$ talks).

Pollard is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat, and our new coach is going to have to make the Statue of Liberty disappear.

I'm thinking it's 3-4+ more years until we have a chance at being good again. (Although McDermott haters will say that we had no chance with McDermott anyways.) Whoever comes in has a LOT of work to do.

Best of luck to McDermott at Creighton.

Last edited by cstrunk; 04-26-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 247

Re: MBB First Glance Next Year - Looks Bleak

Ours fans realize this and will still buy season tix by the thousands and have great patience - this is why the ISU job should be a great sell. No fan base makes allowances better than ISU's.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,336
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0

at least people will go to Hilton next year. New Hope = Ticket Sales

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

What makes you think players will leave?

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23

Yep well said...I would think most players already here will stay because they are seniors or have already red-shirted...just hoping recruits we have already signed will stay cyclones! I'm looking forward to Ejim and Phillips!

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    No McDermott any more (according to everyone except C-Dubb at the moment). Say what you want, but with the incoming recruits, it is possible that after the shipwreck that was this past season, we might have had enough life-rafts for everyone on-board. We hired a couple of good assistants and had some good recruits ready to come in.

Now we will quite possibly lose players left on the roster. Our roster was already depleted. We will likely lose a bunch of recruits that we've been after. Hard for a new coach to get quality recruits this late in the game. There are seemingly few good candidates available (although that's always debatable, and $$$ talks).

Pollard is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat, and our new coach is going to have to make the Statue of Liberty disappear.

I'm thinking it's 3-4+ more years until we have a chance at being good again. (Although McDermott haters will say that we had no chance with McDermott anyways.) Whoever comes in has a LOT of work to do.

Best of luck to McDermott at Creighton.
    It doesn't talk enough...
    Signed,
    University of Oregon

Keepers of the Faith -- The Unknown

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 623

We were going to be the WORST team in the Big 12.

Now we can be the worst and I will still be excited.

I would rather just start climbing the hill all over again, vs trying to go a little higher before taking the inevitable fall.

This is a fantastic day for the improvement of ISU basketball.

Look going 14-16 at ISU is easy. It is pretty much an automatic lock to have that or a similar record. Mac has done that every year he has been here. The next coach should have no problem getting that kind of record (between 12-15 wins) with pretty much anyone on the squad.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 427

As JP has said before. Gotta sell hope. The fans will take a down first year if they see hope of future growth. The fans largely hadnt bailed on GC even after 5-19. It took 4 awful years and the fanbase *still* was divided as to what to do with GMac. The fans will be patient through next year if we get the right coach.

As far as players leaving, we might lose some newer recruits, but arent a most of the returners who really had much of an option to leave already gone? The remainder may stay just due to lack of options.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 834
    Given: 390

If Mac would have stayed, it still would have looked bleak. At least now we have hope and can watch ISU bball come back, rather than fade away.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 135

Maybe we can get all the players that hated GMAC to come back! Everyone worrying needs to relax. It doesn't take 15 years to build a program like GMAC and his little sister KG like to tell everyone. In 2 years you can have a completely revitalized program!

Walk On
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Here are my 2 concerns - depleted roster, troubled coaching staff
    If McD stays, I think we're 20 wins +/- 3 with the late recruiting and assistant changes.

First, lets think about timing. And on that, all I want to say is, it's not exactly prime time to weather a coaching change. Anyone that disagrees with that can take their frackin head out of their *** or admit their love for the hawks. That means available recruits are bare bones, available coaches are skim pickings.

Now, if McD leaves, lets think about this. New head coach - will he want to get stuck with the baggage (assistant coaches) of the old regime? Heck, we've discussed this on CF before, I'm sure someone can go back a few years and dig up threads discussing "head coach = new assistants?" if everyone is too ignorant to remember. But due to the lovely timing, we're (un?)fortunate to probably end up with 1 or 2 same assistant coaches (shouldn't even have to guess who). In fact, one of them may end up the HC due to lack of any other feasible option. End result is likely a complete staff of unproven newbies (to their current titles at least) likely with some amount of animosity towards each other due to lingering coaching change environment.
    IN OTHER WORDS: I think it will be 2 more years before we get a working coaching staff. When we fire all assistants due to lack of success. And the head coach finally gets to hire his guys at a time when promising options are available.

Now to the roster... again anyone that thinks we don't have a depleted roster, come on, wtf. So with it established that we have a depleted roster... Recent ISU history has proven coaching changes result in player turnover. See Wayne Morgan's firing for worst case (yea, blame it on McD -- the players had what, literally 0 one-on-one with McD, probably <1 hr of time as a team being addressed by McD to say Hi, I'm the new coach, with tons and tons of media hyping McD as the next coming of Naismith leading us to NCAA tourny after tourny - and they still leave?). What recruits are still available to replace anything we've lost? Or to provide any new skill sets the new coaching staff wants? How many recent commits follow McD and friends to greener pastures? If we suck it up this upcoming year, how hard will it be to get decent recruits?
    OVERALL I think we end up with an even more depleted roster, and no bench to speak of.

In the end, I'm thinking 10 wins with a new coaching staff for the next 2 years. CF will already be trying to chase the new administration out of town, there'll be a shake up, we'll hit 15 wins matching McD in yrs 3 and 4, and CF will probably have lead the community to alienate the new staff by then cursing any potential to succeed.

Last edited by Warder60; 04-26-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,565
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Warder60 View Post
    If McD stays, I think we're 20 wins +/- 3 with the late recruiting and assistant changes.

First, lets think about timing. And on that, all I want to say is, it's not exactly prime time to weather a coaching change. Anyone that disagrees with that can take their frackin head out of their *** or admit their love for the hawks. That means available recruits are bare bones, available coaches are skim pickings.

Now, if McD leaves, lets think about this. New head coach - will he want to get stuck with the baggage (assistant coaches) of the old regime? Heck, we've discussed this on CF before, I'm sure someone can go back a few years and dig up threads discussing "head coach = new assistants?" if everyone is too ignorant to remember. But due to the lovely timing, we're (un?)fortunate to probably end up with 1 or 2 same assistant coaches (shouldn't even have to guess who). In fact, one of them may end up the HC due to lack of any other feasible option. End result is likely a complete staff of unproven newbies (to their current titles at least) likely with some amount of animosity towards each other due to lingering coaching change environment.
    IN OTHER WORDS: I think it will be 2 more years before we get a working coaching staff. When we fire all assistants due to lack of success.

Now to the roster... again anyone that thinks we don't have a depleted roster, come on, wtf. So with it established that we have a depleted roster... Recent ISU history has proven coaching changes result in player turnover. See Wayne Morgan's firing for worst case (yea, blame it on McD -- the players had what, literally 0 one-on-one with McD, probably <1 hr of time as a team being addressed by McD to say Hi, I'm the new coach, with tons and tons of media hyping McD as the next coming of Naismith leading us to NCAA tourny after tourny - and they still leave?). What recruits are still available to replace anything we've lost? Or to provide any new skill sets the new coaching staff wants? How many recent commits follow McD and friends to greener pastures? If we suck it up this upcoming year, how hard will it be to get decent recruits?
    OVERALL I think we end up with an even more depleted roster, and no bench to speak of.

In the end, I'm thinking 10 wins with a new coaching staff for the next 2 years. CF will already be trying to chase the new administration out of town, there'll be a shake up, we'll hit 15 wins matching McD in yrs 3 and 4, and CF will probably have lead the community to alienate the new staff by then cursing any potential to succeed.
    No offense, but if you seriously thought that we were going to win anywhere from 17 to 23 games next year, I am going to take your analysis with a little more than a GRAIN of salt. Even a good portion of the pro-retention posters here were admitting that we were going to be awful next year, so I would say that the "worst case scenario" would be that we will win about as many games over the next two years as we would have won with GMac at the helm.

And what's with preemptively blaming CF for getting this as-of-yet unhired coach fired at ISU? You got a time machine or something? If so, why are you wasting your time telling us about how CF MAY offend someone in the future instead of giving us next Wednesday's Powerball numbers?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 834
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by Warder60 View Post
    Seriously??? I was actually thinking more along the lines of 13 +/- 3 wins.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Ours fans realize this and will still buy season tix by the thousands and have great patience - this is why the ISU job should be a great sell. No fan base makes allowances better than ISU's.
    I wouldn't count on that. Iowa fans said the same thing when Alford left and their attendance continually declined. Don't think it can't happen here.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

It is interesting that he signs our third recruit signing day, moves an assistant to the front office, hires two more assistants, watches a third assistant perhaps leave the fold (Otz), sends Rutter to Europe to look for big bodies, gets contacted for a HC down the road in a lesser league within 24 hours, then probably decides to go for more money and more job security. Sounds like a good sports novel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKxrEZbQRY"]YouTube- Doe he stay or does he go?[/ame]

Last edited by Wesley; 04-26-2010 at 09:06 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.