Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 163

Iowa's hiring of Lickliter ranked among 'Worst 5 Hires'

Iowa's hiring of Lickliter ranked among 'Worst 5 Hires'

While many know my opinion that Lickliter is a great guy but a very unproven recruiter, they haven't had any "news" outlet in the state shine anything but radiant light on the hiring. So, I thought I would share something from our 'favorite' sports-writer, Gregg Doyel, as he ranks the coaching changes of the past month...

Regarding Lickliter going to Iowa:

"...Lickliter was perfect at Butler. I mean, perfect. He was an alumnus, he was liked, and he was as dynamic as he needed to be to recruit in the Horizon League. At Iowa? Wrong guy, wrong place, wrong time. The Hawkeyes need a charisma infusion to restock a program that had slipped under Alford. Lickliter, who has never worked for a bigger league than the Horizon, doesn't have it..."

Now, if Iowa State could have only gotten half of the positive spin for such a long period of time after making a coaching change as Lickliter has in the local papers, we wouldn't have anything to complain about. It's sad that this far after the hiring, the local newspapers are still calling the Lickliter hiring everything but what it really is, average. It was a safe hire that really mirrors the Dan McCarney hiring, although Dan was a good get for us since we had nowhere to go but up. Dan and Lick are both personable and passionate but they both lacked the sure-fire recruiting ability that is desperately needed in the state of Iowa. Dan was an even better fit for the long-term than Lick because he not only united the fan-base but also energized them, whereas Lick is more or less just uniting the Hawks.

I don't know, maybe I'm more sour about the media attention towards Lickliter in comparison to the lack thereof for GMac, Chizik or Sanderson than I am unimpressed with Lickliter's actual hiring. Those three hirings were much, much better in my opinion and yet coverage about them was limited to just a couple of days. Here we are with the media still following Lickliter's every word and talking about his signing of a mediocre recruit that was on the verge of committing to a coach-less Princeton or coach-less St. Louis as if it rivaled GMac's signing of a top 20 recruit in his first few months at ISU. I guess it must also be more impressive than Cael's signing of one of the best recruiting classes in the country or his stellar coaching in his first year. Or maybe I'm just sour because this is how it's always been in the local media.

Premature Rebuttal:

I don't think Lickliter is a bad hire, I just don't think he's the exciting hire that Iowa needs. Now, I also don't think they could have gotten much better this year due to how much competition there was BUT that doesn't make it a good hire just by default.

He is probably a good coach but in the Big Ten I think you need to be either a great coach and mediocre recruiter or a good coach and excellent recruiter. I just don't think he's to that level yet where he can come in and have the recruiting success they need to build the program up, especially with Tubby at MN and GMac at ISU. That's too much competition for somebody with unestablished recruiting records.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I have no worries having him at Iowa when it comes to recruiting in-state or regional kids and I sure as heck know that ISU is building stellar recruiting networks in key areas around the country that rival some of the premier programs.

So let me hear your opinions on this mid-week debate; Was Lickliter a safe hire or a good hire?

P.S. I know this is a Cyclone website but I thought I'd try and get us talking about something other than arrests and dismissals for a while and this is certainly a topic all of us have kept track of :)

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-24-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: Iowa's hiring of Lickliter ranked among 'Worst 5 Hires'

I ignore 50% of what Doyel writes. The other 50% I read and throw in the trash.

Iowa or ISU could hire the Dalai Lama and he'd still find a way to say it was a bad move.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

I don't see why Lickliter is a bad hire. People can say Butler was set up for success before he got there, but he took them to new heights by himself. You could argue Bulter was one of the best 5-10 teams in the country last year and they certainly don't have tons of great talent. If I were a Hawk fan, I'd be excited to have him. Other than Bruce Pearl, they weren't going to get anyone better IMO.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 387

I honestly kinda feel bad for Lickliter. The guy is inheriting a bag of crap to sort through. I like him alot and hate to see him fail even if it is the hawks.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

Safe Hire. Lickitup has never had to rebuild a program like he will have to do at Iowa. Don't kid yourself, Iowa will be the worst team in the B10 next year. He will have to prove that he can build a team before I give him any credit. Plus he is an unproven recruiter. Recruiting Indiana is not exactly hard. Here in Iowa you have to compete with ISU, Minnesota, Kansas, Illinois and Wisconsin.

I just find it funny how every Iowa fan wanted GMac last year but now they say he isn't even good enough to coach a 1-A high school freshman team in Mongolia. Give me a break.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,290
    Given: 632

Lickliter may not be the flashy hire that Hawk fans or others might have liked to see, but if they stick with him long term, I would think it's a good thing. The toughest part about it is that he doesn't have a real impressive resume of establishing his own program.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,566
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 112

Consider the source; Gregg Doyel. What makes Doyel smarter than Andy Katz or Seth Davis, like he claims towards the end of his column? Nothing, besides Doyel's own monstrous ego.

I've mostly stopped reading Doyel just because he strikes me as being such a gigantic a$$hole. Every time I do read him, I regret it, and this latest instance is no exception. The guy needs to be kicked in the head until he bleeds out.

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 163

Oh believe me, I can't stand Doyel either, I just used it as a topic starter.

I don't think Lickliter is a bad hire, I just don't think he's the exciting hire that Iowa needs. Now, I also don't think they could have gotten much better this year due to how much competition there was BUT that doesn't make it a good hire just by default.

He is probably a good coach but in the Big Ten I think you need to be either a great coach and mediocre recruiter or a good coach and excellent recruiter. I just don't think he's to that level yet where he can come in and have the recruiting success they need to build the program up, especially with Tubby at MN and GMac at ISU. That's too much competition for somebody with unestablished recruiting records.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I have no worries having him at Iowa when it comes to recruiting in-state or regional kids and I sure as heck know that ISU is building stellar recruiting networks in key areas around the country that rival some of the premier programs.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think "Lick" is some of both of a safe hire and a good hire. On the good side, he does have a lot of solid head coaching experience, and is relatively hot right now.

However, he's not the kind of head coach that is going to get fans excited for basketball once football season starts. I also think he's not much bang for the buck they had to use to get him. I mean, yes he's a good coach, but 1.2 million out of the gate for an unproven coach is a bit drastic in my opinion.

There really isn't any substitute for coaching experience in the BCS conferences. The level of talent is a lot different, although not really at Iowa ;). I think he's a hire that we're just gonna have to watch for a couple years to get a good read on.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 387

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Consider the source; Gregg Doyel. What makes Doyel smarter than Andy Katz or Seth Davis, like he claims towards the end of his column? Nothing, besides Doyel's own monstrous ego.

I've mostly stopped reading Doyel just because he strikes me as being such a gigantic a$$hole. Every time I do read him, I regret it, and this latest instance is no exception. The guy needs to be kicked in the head until he bleeds out.
    Wow, some hostility there =) You may need to go chew on something.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Lickliter's a pretty darn good hire. He will prove that. I think they just hired a Floyd or Eustachy guy in the sense that he really knows basketball.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Doyel is a 100% unadultered moron. If he says up, then the right answer is down. If he says black, it's white.

I don't see how anyone could say the Lickliter hiring was bad. It wasn't Tubby Smith, but it wasn't Wayne Morgan either.

It might be looked at as a safe choice, but as he gets in front of Squak fan more, they're going to embrace him. He's everything Alford wasn't, including a proven winner.

He recruited well enough to get to the Sweet 16 twice at a lower-level program and was voted coach of the year by his peers. Not too average, really.

Did I mention that Doyel is a moron?

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

He can't be worse than Alford can he?

I will say I was impressed with his coaching. Butler was a very disciplined team and beat a many "better" teams with execution. However execution alone isn't going to cut it in the Big XI, talent required.

We'll see if he can really recruite at Iowa. I think a major conferance always bumps up your avalible talent pool, but can he sell the program over the others or will he have to take the dregs like Alford.

I'm very interested to see what he comes up with for next year. Iowa may be in an even worse situation than we were last year. If he goes .500, I'll be impressed.

I don't think he was a bad hire or a good hire. A bad hire is Steve Alford, a good hire is Bruce Pearl. I think Barta split the differance. I think Iowa may get back to were they were with Dr. Tom, 18-20 wins a year, usually in the mix for the tournement.

I think we should give Lickliter some time to prove himself. I think the exact same cirtique was given to McDermitt and then he landed a player that Wayne Morgan couldn't even sniff at ( at least in ranking ). He may prove to be a better recruiter than we think.

I feel you on the media, It's always Hawks first, Clones second. If they want to paint Lickliter's recuit as Brackins-esque, let them. We'll see how they feel next winter when Craig hangs 40 on the hawks.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

How does Doyle still have a job

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 151

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I ignore 50% of what Doyel writes. The other 50% I read and throw in the trash.

Iowa or ISU could hire the Dalai Lama and he'd still find a way to say it was a bad move.
    That's about right. Except I don't read the other 50% anymore, I just use it to wipe my butt.