OWH article on NU's perceptive on conference realignment
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Cyclone42

OWH article on NU's perceptive on conference realignment

Good article on conference realignment from NU's perspective. Some of the concerns expressed by chancellor Perlman could also apply to ISU.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2010042...tial-mega-chip

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

Re: OWH article on NU's perceptive on conference realignment

At least the argument for travel is still in the minds of people who are going to make the decision. Perlman is correct, does any school want to fly an Olympic sport team halfway across the country

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Sure makes it tough to pass up double/triple the TV money. Athletic Dept. revenue still boils down to what Football can generate.

Hit it hard, every yard

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,382
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 139

The Big 12 leaders have sat on there behind the last 5 years and let the other conferences pass them by. The Big 10 network is marginal at best, but it generates millions on dollars and tons of exposure for all of the big 10 schools. The Big 12 has been primarily concerned about keeping TX, OU and NU happy and let the other school deal with the scraps.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

I believe within the next year or so, there will be an announcement of a Big 12/Pac 10 Network. They will combine their resources to make it happen. The different time zones of both conferences will be very convenient for staggered start times for games from early afternoon through late night.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Here are four recent articles from the New York Times, with more of an east coast perspective and east coast concerns:

Football Could Determine Future of the Big East - NYTimes.com

B.C.S. Meetings Look at Big, and Bigger, Picture - NYTimes.com

Change Is in the Air at B.C.S. Meetings - NYTimes.com

College Conferences Ponder Expansion and Extinction - NYTimes.com

I've sort of resigned myself to whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. About the only thing most Iowans might do is make their views known to their politicians, that UI needs to act in ISU's interest, not against it (as ISU fans might reasonably be concerned about).

There are a lot of positives currently, or ISU is about as well positioned as it could be in other respects, with Pollard's Big Ten contacts, Gene Smith at OSU, and Jischke recently at Purdue. Former UI president Mary Sue Coleman at Michigan is also more familiar than most with ISU's academic strengths, and a potential ally. ISU is one of the premier land grant institutions. Although it is often diminished, the strength in agriculture is a major positive. I would think Tom Osborne at Nebraska is another likely ally, to the extent he can be, and the comments in that article about travel probably in part reflect that.

It would be better if football and men's basketball were stronger, currently, but in other respects, ISU is positioned about as well right now for a major realignment as one might reasonably expect.

Last edited by Clone83; 04-25-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It pisses me of when all these national writers don't even mention Iowa State as a possible option... then they go and talk about how Nebraska and Missouri would be a good fit. So... Iowa State joins the MWC? WTF.

1337 Internet. Serious Business.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 244

Quote Originally Posted by Clone83 View Post

I've sort of resigned myself to whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. About the only thing most Iowans might do is make their views known to their politicians, that UI needs to act in ISU's interest, not against it (as ISU fans might reasonably be concerned about).

There are a lot of positives currently, or ISU is about as well positioned as it could be in other respects, with Pollard's Big Ten contacts, Gene Smith at OSU, and Jischke recently at Purdue. Former UI president Mary Sue Coleman at Michigan is also more familiar than most with ISU's academic strengths, and a potential ally. ISU is one of the premier land grant institutions. Although it is often diminished, the strength in agriculture is a major positive. I would think Tom Osborne at Nebraska is another likely ally, to the extent he can be, and the comments in that article about travel probably in part reflect that.

It would be better if football and men's basketball were stronger, currently, but in other respects, ISU is positioned about as well right now for a major realignment as one might reasonably expect.
    Don't forget Penn State president Graham Spanier, who is an ISU alum and is close friends with Geoffrey.
    Anyway, while I second your motion concerning ISU's academic reputation and land grant tradition (Purdue, Michigan State, and Penn State, as peer institutions, are connected in many ways with ISU), this is all about revenue and what new schools will bring to the table in that regard. ISU brings zero, and would only drain $$$ from the others.
    We have no chance to be included in the Big Ten, allies or no...

Last edited by Tornado man; 04-25-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 211

Our chance to get in the 10 ended about 30 years ago when money took over college sports. Not that we had much of a chance then, but if Iowa wasn't already in they wouldn't be getting in either. It sucks, but we just came out on the wrong side of history on this one. Our best chance is to continue to keep our programs as well funded and competitive as possible and hope the BigXII can weather the storm. Texas may not like coming to Ames, but they'll like it a lot more if it is seen as a quality win. A few more conference titles in hoops wouldn't hurt our reputation either.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Thanks for the links, and while I second your motion concerning ISU's academic reputation and land grant tradition (Purdue, Michigan State, and Penn State, as peer institutions, are connected in many ways with ISU), this is all about revenue and what new schools will bring to the table in that regard. ISU brings zero, and would only drain $$$ from the others.
    We have no chance to be included in the Big Ten, allies or no...
    That's your opinion, and I respectfully disagree.

The university presidents will be involved also in the decision. There are other reasons, like those mentioned in the NY Times articles, about why schools on the east coast would not necessarily want to join the Big Ten.

I would add that Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin are also land grant institutions.

Last edited by Clone83; 04-25-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65

Please please let us stay in a major BCS conference.

*prays*

Carrying the banner for ISU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

I don't believe ISU has any chance of getting into the Big 10. If the Big 12 collapses, my gut instinct says ISU becomes an independent. If the Big 12 collapses, the following teams would likely be without a conference:

ISU
    Kansas State
    Baylor
    Texas Tech

I could see these teams fitting into the Big Ten/SEC/Pac Ten:

Texas (Pac Ten/Big Ten)
    TAMU (Pac Ten/Big Ten)
    Nebraska (Big Ten)
    Oklahoma (SEC)
    Oklahoma St. (SEC)
    Kansas (Big Ten - their name is being batted around more recently due to BBall brand name)
    Mizzou (Big Ten)
    Colorado (PAC 10)

In all honesty, I truly believe ISU would be in better shape as an independent than going to the MWC, WAC, or CUSA/MAC. If the Big East falls apart, the following teams would also likely be without a conference, or get absorbed by the ACC:

Cincy
    Louisville
    West Virignia
    USF
    Pitt (maybe ACC, maybe in Big Ten)
    UCONN (Maybe Big Ten/ACC)
    Syracuse (Maybe Big Ten/ACC)
    Rutgers (Likely will end up in the Big Ten)

The way this is going, I fully believe we'll eventually end up with four major conferences: The Pac Ten, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC. Those not inside those conferences will either have to sustain themselves as independents or join a lesser conference. I hope this ends up working out for ISU and you find a conference that wants to take you...but the geography and demographics of expansion are not in ISU's favor. Hopefully ISU can continue to be a major college football program after these realignments, but I think it would have to be as an independent. Not sure how the economics of that work. The only huge negative to being an independent in the new college football landscape is that you'd never be on national (or even regional) TV...you'd need to play teams on major networks to get any television coverage.

One major upside to being an independent would be that you could schedule whoever you wanted.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ace000087 View Post
    It pisses me of when all these national writers don't even mention Iowa State as a possible option... then they go and talk about how Nebraska and Missouri would be a good fit. So... Iowa State joins the MWC? WTF.
    You see the same thing from the main sports columnists for the Des Moines Register and the Cedar Rapids Gazette. So that isn't much of a surprise. That Keelor doesn't even mention ISU, whatever his opinions, as the nearest Big XII school, is inexcusable IMO. Marc Hansen (former sports columnist) was a Hawkeye fan, but it is impossible for me to imagine that he would have done this, even if it was just to say in a polite or even amusing sort of way what others here are.

Last edited by Clone83; 04-25-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

The B12 will continue to exist. This is being overdramatized. There may be 1 or 2 teams at most that leave (Mizzou and Colorado being the most likely candidates). That is worse case IMO. Also IMO, I think Colorado to the Pac 10 is most likely and they are easily replaced.

No worries.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    I don't believe ISU has any chance of getting into the Big 10. If the Big 12 collapses, my gut instinct says ISU becomes an independent. If the Big 12 collapses, the following teams would likely be without a conference:

ISU
    Kansas State
    Baylor
    Texas Tech

I could see these teams fitting into the Big Ten/SEC/Pac Ten:

Texas (Pac Ten/Big Ten)
    TAMU (Pac Ten/Big Ten)
    Nebraska (Big Ten)
    Oklahoma (SEC)
    Oklahoma St. (SEC)
    Kansas (Big Ten - their name is being batted around more recently due to BBall brand name)
    Mizzou (Big Ten)
    Colorado (PAC 10)

In all honesty, I truly believe ISU would be in better shape as an independent than going to the MWC, WAC, or CUSA/MAC. If the Big East falls apart, the following teams would also likely be without a conference, or get absorbed by the ACC:

Cincy
    Louisville
    West Virignia
    USF
    Pitt (maybe ACC, maybe in Big Ten)
    UCONN (Maybe Big Ten/ACC)
    Syracuse (Maybe Big Ten/ACC)
    Rutgers (Likely will end up in the Big Ten)

The way this is going, I fully believe we'll eventually end up with four major conferences: The Pac Ten, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC. Those not inside those conferences will either have to sustain themselves as independents or join a lesser conference. I hope this ends up working out for ISU and you find a conference that wants to take you...but the geography and demographics of expansion are not in ISU's favor. Hopefully ISU can continue to be a major college football program after these realignments, but I think it would have to be as an independent. Not sure how the economics of that work. The only huge negative to being an independent in the new college football landscape is that you'd never be on national (or even regional) TV...you'd need to play teams on major networks to get any television coverage.

One major upside to being an independent would be that you could schedule whoever you wanted.

lets hope the Big 10 $ raid extends mainly to the Big East...we will be ok if Mizzou and even CO goes...and that is it.

Carrying the banner for ISU.