Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Fanatics who cycle….

Do we have any cyclists here? I am a beginner with hopes of going on RAGBRAI this year. I live out near Granger and am looking for someone who might want to ride from time to time. Also, I was wondering if anyone local knows of any good non-busy roads to ride around Granger/Grimes area? I use the trails, but some of them are quite a drive for me to get to, and the ones around Saylorville aren’t very fun to ride for training purposes. Being that I live on a very busy divided highway, I can’t really just jump on my bike and go, I have to put the bike on the rack and drive.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Fanatics who cycle….

You might try this forum Midwest - RoadBikeReview Forums

I've got a friend that rides to DSM from Ankeny. He may know
    of some rides around the area.

RAGBRAI could be crazy this year if Armstrong shows up for the week as promised.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    Also, I was wondering if anyone local knows of any good non-busy roads to ride around Granger/Grimes area?
    I would avoid riding anywhere in Polk County. The roads are very busy and the drivers don't respect cyclists. Several have been hit or killed by cars in recent years. When I lived in Ames, I used to ride out to the Ledges State Park on some of the Story and Boone County Roads. It was an enjoyable 20 mile ride (40 round trip).

I would go north and west of where you live.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 43

Head to your local friendly bike store and ask them for any route recommendations or if there are any friendly group rides based out the store. The shop I once worked in would get together each Saturday for a group road ride. There were also groups that got together every other day either early morning or late afternoon to go for a ride. While riding with a group may not be what you desire, it can be very beneficial. The ability to use the other riders to pace yourself and feed off of their gusto can sometimes give you the extra mental push to climb that last hill or ride those extra miles, things that you would possibly talk yourself out of doing if you were by yourself. Find a group that has similar riding styles (fast and furious or slow and easy) and enjoy yourself. You'll meet some good guys and gals and the miles will start racking up quicker than you think.

Side note, what are you riding?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    Head to your local friendly bike store and ask them for any route recommendations or if there are any friendly group rides based out the store. The shop I once worked in would get together each Saturday for a group road ride. There were also groups that got together every other day either early morning or late afternoon to go for a ride. While riding with a group may not be what you desire, it can be very beneficial. The ability to use the other riders to pace yourself and feed off of their gusto can sometimes give you the extra mental push to climb that last hill or ride those extra miles, things that you would possibly talk yourself out of doing if you were by yourself. Find a group that has similar riding styles (fast and furious or slow and easy) and enjoy yourself. You'll meet some good guys and gals and the miles will start racking up quicker than you think.

Side note, what are you riding?
    I bought a Giant OCR 2 at the end of last summer. Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Is is mid-level bike with decent components. I used to mountian bike some back in the day, but I spent too much time on my head.

I put about 200 miles on at the end of last year, and I only have about 40 on so far this year. Weather, work, and kids are making it hard to get the miles on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Start with Welcome to RAGBRAI.org

The site has route info, a message board with posters as enthusiastic about Ragbrai as we are about the Cyclones, monthly articles including training advice from an informed coach. It also has registration info - applications closed April 1. If you want to do the week, you'll have to wait and buy a pass from someone with a change of plans. That info is on the site also.

You can also ride with a daily pass which is still available.

I rode a couple of years - it was great - too many Hawk jerseys though.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    Start with Welcome to RAGBRAI.org

The site has route info, a message board with posters as enthusiastic about Ragbrai as we are about the Cyclones, monthly articles including training advice from an informed coach. It also has registration info - applications closed April 1. If you want to do the week, you'll have to wait and buy a pass from someone with a change of plans. That info is on the site also.

You can also ride with a daily pass which is still available.

I rode a couple of years - it was great - too many Hawk jerseys though.
    Been out to the site, actually, I am already registered so I guess I can't back out now. I find that the message boards on that site are pretty slow.

cyclONEnation
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I bought a Giant OCR 2 at the end of last summer. Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Is is mid-level bike with decent components.
    My wife's road bike is Giant TCR with aluminum frame, Carbon fork and seat post. It's a few seasons old but she loves it. Lightweight and responsive.

I understand the kids and weather limiting the miles. I tend to ride mostly at night after the kids are in bed or early morning. RAGBRAI is only a few months away, so have fun and get some miles in saddle before then.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I bought a Giant OCR 2 at the end of last summer. Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Is is mid-level bike with decent components. I used to mountian bike some back in the day, but I spent too much time on my head.

I put about 200 miles on at the end of last year, and I only have about 40 on so far this year. Weather, work, and kids are making it hard to get the miles on.
    My wife bought an OCR 2 last summer, loves it. I'm on a trek 1000c in as big of frame as they crank out.

Ragbrai is a good time, and this year would be great for beginners as it is up north and really flat.

Sorry, don't know much about trails in DSM, I used to ride up to story city over on some side blacktops to Nevada when I was in school ... now I train for ragbrai by biking a mile and hitting the first bar I see

see you on the road

cyclONEnation
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Irwin's Bike and Sports in Johnston has a weekly Wednesday evening ride. LINK

Irwin's Wednesday Night Ride is back outside. Bring your bike and ride with some other folks. Show up after 5:00, we'll probably start riding around 5:30-5:45. All ages and abilities welcome, we divide into several groups according to ability. Dinner and socializing at an area restaurant to follow.

Could be a good way to meet some area cyclists.

The Des Moines Cycling Club also has Monday night rides and Sunday morning Dallas county rides.

(Yep, I'm a big fan of club/group rides)

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I ride a Trek 1000 and most of the time I go on Bill Riley and Great Western Trails here in Des Moines. Pretty flat so you don't get much of a hill workout but its a nice paved trail.

Sounds like there are quite a few of us that cycle!