Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 214

ISU MBB: Reactive, not proactive

I've stayed away because I frankly don't have anything positive to say. I still don't, but the latest moves have really struck a nerve with me.

First, I'll state I do welcome Nurse and Grayer to the program. I do wish them luck, but I firmly believe they're gonna need a heavy helping of it.

Clearly the hires were done seeking people that could relate to the players (and some of it is most definitely PR to the fans), guys that had worked with all different types of players and could be able to reach a diverse group. That's great.

But why did it take so long for this to happen? Keep in mind, Greg said before the season the key to 2010/2011 MBB was getting these guys to understand their roles and play together as a team. This didn't happen, not even close - and I believe that to be a very concrete fact.

How could a coach/staff already struggling with relating to the players (clearly shown by the inconsistent team play in the previous years and player departures) go into a season with easily the best talent he's had - and with the two best players most likely done at the end of the season - and just continue with the status quo?

And now suddenly, with the entire thing crumbling around 'em - then something is done about it. After another losing season. After more players leave. After staff members leave.

Why not bring in a consultant like Grayer for at least a bit last summer? Do something...anything?

It is emphatically the fault of the current staff/admin this thing has spiraled so far downward. And now that it's almost reached rock bottom, people react. I just don't get how they could turn such a blind eye to a very ugly situation that continued to brew.

This probably doesn't matter, because I'm no longer "a fan" in many eyes because we won't be in Ames for 2010/2011 MBB. We will no longer be in "Pollard's 20% of fans that discuss the program and actually buy tickets". And I'm totally cool with that.

Unlike others, I won't label the fans that continue to support a program (which is in fact for all intents, a business) that is so irresponsible with its decision making and does not behave in proactive manner. If you have the financial ability to do that with your funds, great. I don't and won't.

The team on the floor reflects leadership. Our team in almost every single case, has not responded well to adversity. And for me, that is a direct correlation to the leadership of the program. Others in Ames apparently feel the need to blame it on kids and our country's culture. We all have our own opinions I guess.

Perhaps this latest response will be a good one. I guess we will find out. It's just come far later than it should have at and a very heavy cost.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 04-23-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,863
    Given: 1,597

Re: ISU MBB: Reactive, not proactive

It's clear that something like this should have been done much, much sooner. I'm also surprised that such a lingering player relations problem never seemed to be dealt with. Very glad that he looks to be trying something visible to solve it.

Obviously, the downside is that this team doesn't look like one that's set to make a program-changing turnaround. Not much depth, not much scoring, etc., but maybe this will provide us some help in some way.

I think team chemistry will be better, at least.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Walk On
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I've stayed away because I frankly don't have anything positive to say. I still don't, but the latest moves have really struck a nerve with me.

First, I'll state I do welcome Nurse and Grayer to the program. I do wish them luck, but I firmly believe they're gonna need a heavy helping of it.

Clearly the hires were done seeking people that could relate to the players (and some of it is most definitely PR to the fans), guys that had worked with all different types of players and could be able to reach a diverse group. That's great.

But why did it take so long for this to happen? Keep in mind, Greg said before the season the key to 2010/2011 MBB was getting these guys to understand their roles and play together as a team. This didn't happen, not even close - and I believe that to be a very concrete fact.

How could a coach/staff already struggling with relating to the players (clearly shown by the inconsistent team play in the previous years and player departures) go into a season with easily the best talent he's had - and with the two best players most likely done at the end of the season - and just continue with the status quo?

And now suddenly, with the entire thing crumbling around 'em - then something is done about it. After another losing season. After more players leave. After staff members leave.

Why not bring in a consultant like Grayer for at least a bit last summer? Do something...anything?

It is emphatically the fault of the current staff/admin this thing has spiraled so far downward. And now that it's almost reached rock bottom, people react. I just don't get how they could turn such a blind eye to a very ugly situation that continued to brew.

This probably doesn't matter, because I'm no longer "a fan" in many eyes because we won't be in Ames for 2010/2011 MBB. We will no longer be in "Pollard's 20% of fans that discuss the program and actually buy tickets". And I'm totally cool with that.

Unlike others, I won't label the fans that continue to support a program (which is in fact for all intents, a business) that is so irresponsible with its decision making and does not behave in proactive manner. If you have the financial ability to do that with your funds, great. I don't and won't.

The team on the floor reflects leadership. Our team in almost every single case, has not responded well to adversity. And for me, that is a direct correlation to the leadership of the program. Others in Ames apparently feel the need to blame it on kids and our country's culture. We all have our own opinions I guess.

Perhaps this latest response will be a good one. I guess we will find out. It's just come far later than it should have at and a very heavy cost.
    Agreed - 100%.. They sure have their work cut out for them.
    I'm hoping a level of teamwork, commitment to ISU and toughness comes with these assistants and the players that come in.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's just come far later than it should have at and a very heavy cost.
    I'm also afraid we're wasting a golden opportunity by bringing in Grayer now. I'd rather do it when our program has a more solid foundation or is starting with a new head coach. As it is now, everyone on this staff could be looking at a one and done situation. I hope that's not the case, but it's hard to see how McDermott will ever survive at ISU. He's dug a huge hole and ISU will be losing 4 seniors after next season to boot.

I'd love to come back to this post a year from now and see how everyone feels then.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 355
    Given: 158

Very well written 22

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It's like throwing a cup of water on a fire after it's burnt down the entire house.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

Good post 22 and I actually disagree with it but is at least a well formed and thoughtful opinion.

I would say that we don't know that Mac didn't look for some help last season. You don't know for sure who he called or who he talked to. I also believe that he thought the teams he had previously played to the ability they had and that the addition of MG was going to save the team this year. I think we can agree that he had no idea that they were going to be that bad. Everyone on the staff was talking about how good they should be. Through numerous happenings, the season was a failure. Ultimately most of the things that happened should and have been on Mac. Scotty getting Mono and Boozer getting hurt were not his fault. Honestly, after watching Boozer before he was hurt and Scotty when he was healthy late in the season, I think that was 4-5 games we may have won with those two guys there and healthy. That still isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. The Lucca thing, well, I don't know that that should be thrown on Mac. At least not completely. Lucca didn't know if he was coming back last summer. Here is what I think happened there. I think all summer he was looking for a team at home. I think he wanted a spot. When no spots were available to him, he decided he needed to come back here to develop. As soon as a spot was offered to him he was gone. I think this was all his decision and intention from the beginning of the season. Should that be put on Mac? I don't think so. He had to let him come back since he was a starter and if Lucca had that mindset there was nothing keeping him. If he had hated Mac, he likely would not have come back last year. Ham, well that's on this staff one way or another. It is either that or he didn't fit in. Buck saw the writing on the wall and I hardly blame either party for that. Colvin is on the staff. His connection here was not deep enough to survive DRob leaving. That is my take on last year. Hopefully these two new guys can help to form some positive energy and have some success next season. At least I can hope.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

(and some of it is most definitely PR to the fans),
    First off, good to see you, 22. I have to admit to falling into the category of being a total sucker for this kind of PR because while I have absolutely no idea if Jeff will be a good coach and/or recruiter, I will still love seeing him on the ISU bench.

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How can you write criticism like this when you have not coached one day in college basketball? You obviously are not a "true" Iowa State fan or you would just dish out the money and continue to pump us with positivity. Sorry had to throw it out there before the GMAC apologists steal it!!!! LOL

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Save the post (check back after the season)

These hires are not originated or orchestrated by G'mac, but the administration. G’mac had to find an associate coach that could coach at a high level with the option of taking over after next season. Nurse was the perfect option.

Grayer is a fan favorite and keeper so the two new hires are not in the least bit worried about being retained after next season.

So, proactive is what I would call our current coaching situation. Being such a likable guy, ISU didn’t want to outright fire Mac without him trying to land something on his own. Whatever that something may be.

Wesley Staten (2012 - verbal commit)

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 574
    Given: 405

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    How can you write criticism like this when you have not coached one day in college basketball? You obviously are not a "true" Iowa State fan or you would just dish out the money and continue to pump us with positivity. Sorry had to throw it out there before the GMAC apologists steal it!!!! LOL

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,121
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Better late than never, I guess?

I can't tell if you are upset with these two hires or just venting.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 88

I love the hires, Grayer will bring passion to the game, but I have said if you dont get rid of the problem, do you really have the solution? My answer is no. McDermott is not a coach for a BCS program, he should be gone and one of these guys should be looked at as his replacements not assistants.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    I love the hires, Grayer will bring passion to the game, but I have said if you dont get rid of the problem, do you really have the solution? My answer is no. McDermott is not a coach for a BCS program, he should be gone and one of these guys should be looked at as his replacements not assistants.
    How do we know the assistants that left were not a problem in regard to one thing or another. I don't know that they are or were, but none of us really know. In the end the assistants fall on Mac. I like the two we got for different reasons. I don't think they will save the program themselves but I think they have the potential to really help.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,863
    Given: 1,597

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    How do we know the assistants that left were not a problem in regard to one thing or another. I don't know that they are or were, but none of us really know. In the end the assistants fall on Mac. I like the two we got for different reasons. I don't think they will save the program themselves but I think they have the potential to really help.
    That last line is where I'm at. Two good hires here, I believe.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/