Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 163

Arrow Monday Morning Quarterbacking (Tuesday)

Monday Morning Quarterbacking (Tuesday)

(Purely entertainment column to talk about things that I normally don't talk about, not meant to take away from issues or events taking place that are otherwise covered endlessly here.)

I haven't written a Monday Morning Quarterback column for a few weeks now so I thought I'd give it a shot, albeit a day late. The column seemed to be a pretty popular feature, based on feedback anyways. In case you don't remember, the MMQ is just a blog-type entry with random thoughts, opinions and other meaningless ramblings. So here goes another episode of MMQ...

- Does anybody else take comfort in the recruiting and team issues of our little brother out east? I know many people like to say it's good to have two strong programs in the state but I've never felt that way and take a lot of pleasure in seeing the "other team" struggle as much as possible. With the departure of Tyler Smith from the UI MBB team this past week, Iowa has now hit rock bottom and I couldn't be more pleased. Sure, we've had our downs, but for once things seem to be heading in the right direction at Iowa State so I have to rub it in a tad bit:) I do like to see Iowa remain competitive but it's nice to see them on a downswing.

- The upcoming Cy's House of Trivia event seems like a fun and entertaining gathering. I've never been much of a trivia buff, as I regularly forget the names of just about everybody I meet, but this seems like a great opportunity for Cyclone Fanatics to get out there and rub elbows with the ISU elite. I'm not aware of any similar events elsewhere and it's nice to see Iowa State try and do interactive events like this to raise money rather than sticking to the usual dinners and the like. The entry fees seem a tad high and will probably keep some of the best fans on the sidelines but it should still be fun to watch.

- (Debate stirring topic, only an opinion) The Missouri Valley Coaching Clinic, err I mean Missouri Valley Conference, appears to be the most popular training ground for up-and-coming coaches these days. While we obviously knew a lot about McDermott before he made the jump to Iowa State, a lot of other coaches haven't shown nearly the resume that GMac has, in my opinion. When you look at coaches like Lickliter, recently hired by Iowa, you see a very nice and sincere guy but you also see somebody that hasn't truly been tested like I feel a coach should be before taking over at a big conference school and getting a big-time pay increase. I know a lot of people say he's been to the Sweet Sixteen and he did great things with what he had, but one needs to remember he took over a program that Thad Matta had running pretty darn well. Lickliter maintained that and built off of their past success. Not something to be looked down upon but certainly not something I consider superior to what GMac did at UNI. The Panthers might not have gone deep in the Big Dance with GMac but he took over a program that had nothing going for it and made it into a MVC power and went to the NCAA Tournament with some overachieving and exceptionally well coached teams. I'm not making little of what Lickliter has done but I question those that feel he's proven himself as a great coach and recruiter worthy of such a hefty raise. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having him come to my school and get paid what he is without having proven himself a little more. He seems like a Dan McCarney type hire; great person, great fan uniter, but little proven recruiting ability or promise.

- I know this is completely out there but oh well. I noticed that The Producers ended it's Broadway run this past weekend, not a monumental event but one I was sad to see. While I did have the pleasure of seeing The Producers at the Civic Center, I had plans to see it in the future at it's real home, NYC. After one of the most successful runs in Broadway history, I guess they went out on the high note instead of staying around past their time.

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-24-2007 at 08:05 AM.
    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Re: Monday Morning Quarterbacking (Tuesday)

He seems like a Dan McCarney type hire
    Burn!

Interesting read.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 4

GMac has gone further in the NCAA tourny than Lickitup (KISS). Eilte Eight twice and Sweet 16 a couple of times. You just have ignore that it was D-II.

What Gmac did at UNI is far more impressive than anything Lickitup has done.

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,431
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 575

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    ...one needs to remember he took over a program that Bruce Pearl had running pretty darn well...
    If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I think it's Thad Matta that you're thinking of. He's the one that ran the ship at Butler before moving along to Xavier, and then, obviously, to Ohio State. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. Thanks! A very interesting read, by the way!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cytheguy View Post
    Hey Jeremy,

While you're receiving pleasure from what's happening to big brother out east, why don't you take a look at what's happening to your own teams? Three football players get busted today and a fourth kicked off the team (not to mention the few other fball who have left in recent weeks), and Mike Taylor swings and misses at strike 3 (not to mention the other bball players who have left in recent weeks).

Oh well, but Tyler Smith is leaving Iowa so everything is great in Cyclone country! Isn't that right?
    How about you let Jeremy write whatever the hell he wants? It is his website and blog....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97

If cytheguy didn't have cy in his signon name, I say he was a scaly troll from that school out east by that idiotic post I read

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

I can see both sides.

On one hand,I'm growing a bit sour with the Hawks getting too much attention here. When the front page news is discussing Iowa hoops recruiting and a coaching hire that's over a week old - things in Ames must not be rosy. And, they aren't.

On the other hand, anyone here can basically write about whatever they want. Especially, the owner of the site.

Carry on...

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    ...he took over a program that Bruce Pearl had running pretty darn well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkurt58 View Post
    If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I think it's Thad Matta that you're thinking of. He's the one that ran the ship at Butler before moving along to Xavier, and then, obviously, to Ohio State. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. Thanks! A very interesting read, by the way!
    bkurt58 is right. Lickliter took over for Thad Matta at Butler, who left after only one year at the helm to take over the Xavier program. Before then, Barry Collier was the head coach at Butler for several years before he left for Nebraska. Collier is the one who was largely responsible for Butler's resurgence -- much moreso than Matta. Bruce Pearl was at Wisconsin-Milwaukee for four years before heading off to Tennessee. Pearl stepped in at Milwaukee to replace Bo Ryan, who now coaches at Wisconsin-Madison.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97

Bruce Pearl has to be good stuff, since, afterall he did tell EIU where to stick their coaching job. Do I hear an AMEN?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Alright I respect Jeremy and everthing he done on this site as it is pleasurable to read and I seem to think it is a good source of cyclone information.

Yes you can enjoy the down times at Iowa, but keep in mind that ISU is not completely out of the woods in regards to their own issues regarding Taylor (run-ins with the law).

I enjoy it when both programs are at the top of their respective games as they make for very entertaining contests. However I will admit last year this time I was enjoying the mass exodus from the Men's basketball program. It now appears that Iowa is going to have some roster turnover but if you compared the overall rosters of the two programs last year I think that ISU had a little more potential than Iowa's (yea I did admit it).

The lickliter comparison to Dan McCarney is well.....I don't even want to go there because I will probably say something that doesn't need to be said. All of the Iowa fans will be able to rally around Lickliter because he is the Anti-Alford.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 04-23-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: content

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

One similarity between Alfraud and the new coach is that neither served as a high-major assistant recruiting the kinds of players who win in the Big Ten. So recruitment is an issue with their new coach

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    bkurt58 is right. Lickliter took over for Thad Matta at Butler, who left after only one year at the helm to take over the Xavier program. Before then, Barry Collier was the head coach at Butler for several years before he left for Nebraska. Collier is the one who was largely responsible for Butler's resurgence -- much moreso than Matta. Bruce Pearl was at Wisconsin-Milwaukee for four years before heading off to Tennessee. Pearl stepped in at Milwaukee to replace Bo Ryan, who now coaches at Wisconsin-Madison.

thanks! jeremy really threw me off! mr. pearl was a coach of mine @ one time, and a hell of one, at that! for a second i was really worried ;( thank all our stars that they couldnt land him!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=Jeremy;124831I know many people like to say it's good to have two strong programs in the state but I've never felt that way and take a lot of pleasure in seeing the "other team" struggle as much as possible. I do like to see Iowa remain competitive but it's nice to see them on a downswing./QUOTE]

I have never understood this "logic". Do you think Alabama hopes Auburn has a strong program and is competitive? NO WAY!

I want Iowa to struggle as much as possible and for them to be as uncompetitive as possible! In a state as small as the state of Iowa, the less the competition the better.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 163

OK I don't know where the heck I was going with the Bruce Pearl remark, I don't even know how I put that in there. I know Bruce Pearl wasn't the man, Matta was. Forgive my stupidity for putting that in there, I clearly didn't intend to.

Regarding the problems in Iowa City vs Ames, I'm not denying that we have problems, heck I talk about them every day here. What I was doing was using a purely entertainment column to talk about what I don't talk about every day, Iowa's struggles. It's not to make light of what we have going on, just to look away from it for one minute to find something good to talk about:)

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    GMac has gone further in the NCAA tourny than Lickitup (KISS). Eilte Eight twice and Sweet 16 a couple of times. You just have ignore that it was D-II.

What Gmac did at UNI is far more impressive than anything Lickitup has done.
    HMMM Lickliter took Butler to the Sweet 16......twice. GMAC never won a game in the big dance. Now i am a hawk hater as much as the next guy but your comment could not be more off base. Yes when GMAC got to UNI they blew, but it all comes down to winning in the tourney doesnt it?