Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 38,163, Level: 60
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 887
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,466
    Points
    38,163
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Right now, the basketball team offers immediate playing time but if you were a coach, what would you pitch to a potential recruit (for any sport) to get them to come to ISU. I know many people will say the nice campus, quality community, etc. but many campuses can offer that. What makes ISU unique??



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 151,568, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,914
    Points
    151,568
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 2

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    We are uniquely desperate for players. That sounds like a smart *** remark, but it may be our biggest pitch. I doubt there is a BCS level school that is as desperate for guys to come in and play right away.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 251,157, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,009
    Points
    251,157
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 93

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    We may hire you as an assistant in 25 years.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 265,738, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,355
    Points
    265,738
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    You've answered your own question OP.

    end thread



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 62,260, Level: 77
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,260
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    "Look how much we suck right now! If you can get us to even slightly better than mediocre, our fans will love you. Just go on our fan site, Cyclonefanatic, and look at the mounds of praise shoveled on our football program for getting to 7-6!"



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 23,058, Level: 46
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,820
    Points
    23,058
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Unique? Maybe not much. Way better than average? Fans, facilities, campus. Community is plus or minus depending on the recruit.


    May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 46,424, Level: 66
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    PGreen ISU '92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    2,149
    Points
    46,424
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Wow! Where to I begin? We have a brand new $8MM Practice Facility, a new Student Athlete Academic Center that is in the Top 2 of its kind in the conference. We have a great basketball tradition having gone to the NCAA Tournament in 1944, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, and 2005. We have been to the Sweet 16 four times, Elite 8 twice, and Final Four once. Hilton Coliseium is an incredible basketball environment with knowledgeable, enthusiastic fans that are second to none. We have a proven history of putting players in the NBA. Iowa State University is absolutely gorgeous which pales in comparison only to the beauty of the women that grace its campus. We have an incredible Athletic Department which will give any MBB player all the tools necessary to succeed in life. My post is getting long and I haven't even touched the surface. He is a nice video for all those that haven't seen it: Videos Posted by Iowa State Men's Basketball: Inside Iowa State Basketball | Facebook Go Cyclones!!!



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 37,684, Level: 59
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    37,684
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Immediate and substantial playing time in the Big 12 conference. The end.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 81,552, Level: 88
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    2,489
    Points
    81,552
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    "Well, if you commit to play ball at ISU, I can promise you one thing: If you're ever murdered by one of your teammates, I promise you that Coach Mac would NEVER consider instructing all his assistants to tell the media AND your grieving parents that you were dealing drugs to try and explain away all that "walking around money" you were given by the staff."

    (that's about all I've got)



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 94,094, Level: 95
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,669
    Points
    94,094
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    Immediate and substantial playing time in the Big 12 conference. The end.
    Exactly what I was about to post! That's really the main thing we can offer right now but even that is not going to lure top talent at this point


    Go Cubs Go!

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 58,093, Level: 74
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    2,800
    Points
    58,093
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Exactly what I was about to post! That's really the main thing we can offer right now but even that is not going to lure top talent at this point
    I would be happy with talent, let alone top talent. Guys like Knight, Selby, etc can go anywhere and play right away so that is not a draw for them.

    It should be for the guys that we are after, though.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Quote Originally Posted by PGreen ISU '92 View Post
    Wow! Where to I begin? We have a brand new $8MM Practice Facility, a new Student Athlete Academic Center that is in the Top 2 of its kind in the conference. We have a great basketball tradition having gone to the NCAA Tournament in 1944, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, and 2005. We have been to the Sweet 16 four times, Elite 8 twice, and Final Four once. Hilton Coliseium is an incredible basketball environment with knowledgeable, enthusiastic fans that are second to none. We have a proven history of putting players in the NBA. Iowa State University is absolutely gorgeous which pales in comparison only to the beauty of the women that grace its campus. We have an incredible Athletic Department which will give any MBB player all the tools necessary to succeed in life. My post is getting long and I haven't even touched the surface. He is a nice video for all those that haven't seen it: Videos Posted by Iowa State Men's Basketball: Inside Iowa State Basketball | Facebook Go Cyclones!!!
    There is nothing unique about any of the items I have highlighted when you compare us to any other BCS school. Now if we are competing against a mid major or a JUCO then some of these are likely advantages. But we need to be competing with other major BCS schools for talent.

    I do think Hilton and the old environment we used to have is a selling point and is unique. Wait til Hamilton experiences the morgue that is the PMAC at LSU unless the team is a top 10 caliber team playing againsta another top 10 caliber team.

    I do think the campus and its beauty is a unique selling point...but I really don't think kids care too much about that sort of stuff.

    The biggest unique selling point is the chance for immediate PT and the chance to be a part of turning something around and getting huge press for doing so.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 352,738, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,483
    Points
    352,738
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    There is nothing unique about any of the items I have highlighted when you compare us to any other BCS school. Now if we are competing against a mid major or a JUCO then some of these are likely advantages. But we need to be competing with other major BCS schools for talent.

    I do think Hilton and the old environment we used to have is a selling point and is unique. Wait til Hamilton experiences the morgue that is the PMAC at LSU unless the team is a top 10 caliber team playing againsta another top 10 caliber team.

    I do think the campus and its beauty is a unique selling point...but I really don't think kids care too much about that sort of stuff.

    The biggest unique selling point is the chance for immediate PT and the chance to be a part of turning something around and getting huge press for doing so.
    I started reading this with the intent to jump on it, but I cannot. This post is 99% accurate. I would say the academic center is slightly above what most places have but other than that, it is right on. Our basketball history is not outstanding. It is good, but not a selling point when put against other schools we should be up against.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  14. #14
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 211,353, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,542
    Points
    211,353
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 102

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    I'd say if you stand out in the Big 12 you'll get noticed.


    Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

    "The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 75,350, Level: 85
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,200
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,553
    Points
    75,350
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 14

    Re: Pitching ISU to a recruit

    Hot Iowan Chicks.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM