Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Talked to Christy

Hey guys. I went to Cy's House of Trivia and Christy was one of the celebrities that rotated through the tables. My table was fortunate to get her for one round. Thought I'd drop you folks a couple notes from what we talked about. Nothing ground breaking, but I love hearing a coaches view on things a fan is going to ask.

I asked her which was better the Texas win or Nebraska:
    She said it was a tough call because the students rushing the court was awesome but beating Nebraska was something else. Said Nebraska was absolutely ****** that we beat them.

I asked her what the handshake after the NE game was like:
    She said NE coach didn't say anything to her and not even sure he made eye contact, just made the handshake and kept walking.

On the recruits we have coming in:
    Doesn't expect any of them to come in and start right away, but that's not surprising since we are only losing one player from a elite 8 team.

Like I said nothing groundbreaking just thought I'd pass it along. Christy was very fun to talk to, also one of the few celebs to give us a correct answer to a trivia question.
    Coach knows her American Idol.

Last edited by vmbplayer; 04-20-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    "Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Talked to Christy

How about is she ever going to leave, or get locked up like BF?

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 50

Thanks for sharing. Wow I'm surprised that Nebby coach didn't even say the word.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    How about is she ever going to leave, or get locked up like BF?
    HAha, thought about asking that. Didn't want to bring it up in what was a pretty party/positive environment. She did sign an extension this year though. I told her i would up my Cyclone donation if she made a NE coach cry on television.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,546
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post
    Hey guys. I went to Cy's House of Trivia and Christy was one of the celebrities that rotated through the tables. My table was fortunate to get her for one round.
    She was at our table one round, too. Though I think she and my sister mostly talked kids.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Donation? You have not signed my form yet

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I talked with her a few weeks back - congratulating her on the contract extension.

She said they were happy ISU wanted them back!

I feel more and more they are genuinely happy at ISU.

And you just know winning in Lincoln is her high water mark. A program she helped establish as a player, now to challenge it as a coach. And one of her first bosses in Cooke

Last edited by DaddyMac; 04-20-2010 at 02:11 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

I think they love Ames, and ultimately of course money talks but the biggest thign I fear is the lack of quality facilities that might driver her away someday. She will get offers sometime. It's just a matter of when. Just like the gymnastics coach. While CJ probably wouldn't run to Oklahoma, and nothing probably keeps her if NE came calling, I worry about Minnesota and Wisconsin coming calling. Bigger money and better facilities.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by tec71 View Post
    I think they love Ames, and ultimately of course money talks but the biggest thign I fear is the lack of quality facilities that might driver her away someday. She will get offers sometime. It's just a matter of when. Just like the gymnastics coach. While CJ probably wouldn't run to Oklahoma, and nothing probably keeps her if NE came calling, I worry about Minnesota and Wisconsin coming calling. Bigger money and better facilities.
    according to Pollard, she has already had several offers and turned them down.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    according to Pollard, she has already had several offers and turned them down.
    Certainly she has had people come calling. National coach of they year will do that.

But I think Tec is right. The major concerns are NU and Wisconisn. Not so sure about Minnesota - but could be. I think the geography has about to do with it as much as anythning, proximity to family and friends. I've heard her and Joe say that on several occassions.

The good part is that both those programs are on solid enough footing that they aren't likely to can their coaches anytime soon. And I don't think either is particularly close to retirement.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    But I think Tec is right. The major concerns are NU and Wisconisn. Not so sure about Minnesota - but could be. I think the geography has about to do with it as much as anythning, proximity to family and friends. I've heard her and Joe say that on several occassions.

The good part is that both those programs are on solid enough footing that they aren't likely to can their coaches anytime soon. And I don't think either is particularly close to retirement.
    I wouldn't call Wisconsin's program on solid footing at all. They've gone 6-14 and 7-13 in the Big Ten the last two years, and did not look good at the UNI tournament last weekend. Lots of Badger VB supporters are wondering what's going on, and are correlating Christy's exit with the downturn. If Pete Waite is forced out, they're coming after her.

Legend
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 1,206

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I wouldn't call Wisconsin's program on solid footing at all. They've gone 6-14 and 7-13 in the Big Ten the last two years, and did not look good at the UNI tournament last weekend. Lots of Badger VB supporters are wondering what's going on, and are correlating Christy's exit with the downturn. If Pete Waite is forced out, they're coming after her.
    And that Athletic Department is not willing to take "no" for an anwer. If they come, they will come hard and with deep pockets.

I hope she is more interested in what she built here.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Certainly she has had people come calling. National coach of they year will do that.

I am a little confused, isn't Christy from Nebby? and he is from Wisky correct? my guess is ISU is a happy medium almost 1/2 way between both.

Just my thoughts, but from reading her pressers, videos, comments etc., it seems she is bound and determined to build and SUSTAIN an elite program, final fours, and win a championship. She has a lot of great talent here and coming in, the support of admin and fans, can't see her wanting to start from ground zero again without achieving her goals that she appears to be highly focused on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

I am a little confused, isn't Christy from Nebby? and he is from Wisky correct? my guess is ISU is a happy medium almost 1/2 way between both.

Just my thoughts, but from reading her pressers, videos, comments etc., it seems she is bound and determined to build and SUSTAIN an elite program, final fours, and win a championship. She has a lot of great talent here and coming in, the support of admin and fans, can't see her wanting to start from ground zero again without achieving her goals that she appears to be highly focused on.
    geographically it's 1/2 way. But Wisky is a world away in terms of facilities and I would imagine budget as well. and going to wisconson wouldn't be starting from ground zero again. The only thing we'd have is that Madison isn't exactly a small town if that has any appeal.

and yes the wisky fans are very unhappy with the state of the program.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59

Iowa State is HER program. She built it from the ground up (more like the sub-basement up, really). There's a certain amount of pride in that. Anywhere else, she'd be trying to maintain someone else's program.