Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Bad to Worse

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 23,523, Level: 46
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,356
    Points
    23,523
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Bad to Worse

    With Wilkins, Clark, Osoneiks, & now Clyburn off the table, I am not seeing anyone that is currently on the radar that has the potential to help right next year. Mills may be a good pick up, but the value from him is 2-3 years from now. Bo Barnes is a great shooter, but brings less all around game than who we have now in that role.

    I have been hoping that we could get a couple guys that surprise us with their contributions next year, but that is looking unlikely. With one of our key recruiters gone, and another coaching spot vacant, we are in a tough spot.

    I am one who while I like most of you had doubts (yeah I know thats an understatement) about if Gmac would be able to turn it around enough next year to give some hope and momentum, but I wanted that to happen. At the end of the day, we would be better off if things turned around quickly and Gmac started winning and players stayed, than if we had a coaching change. However, with the lack of success in spring recruiting I don't see how that is going to happen next year.

    No good answers here on 4/20


    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 103,120, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,431
    Points
    103,120
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 359

    Re: Bad to Worse

    So if we don't sign one single targeted recruit during this period with scholarships to give and ample opportunities for playing time, in JP's eyes could that be a "fireable offense"?

    I mean, it's just sad and embarrassing.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 37,660, Level: 59
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Clonegrad07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,419
    Points
    37,660
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 91

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Wait, we'e out on Wilkins now? What happened there? I thought that he was down to us and IU and he wasn't crazy about IU.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 105,356, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,887
    Points
    105,356
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 867
    Given: 183

    Re: Bad to Worse

    This program has hit rock bottom with or without these recruits.

    Until there is a change, it really won't matter.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 263,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,119
    Points
    263,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 403
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Really would like to get Mills at this point.

    We really, really, really need Ejim and Phillips to live up to the hype.




  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 23,523, Level: 46
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,356
    Points
    23,523
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Really would like to get Mills at this point.

    We really, really, really need Ejim and Phillips to live up to the hype.
    That to me is the only hope at this point. If they can come in a be better than advertised we, and Gmac, have a chance.


    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 79,924, Level: 87
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,269
    Points
    79,924
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 7

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Really would like to get Mills at this point.

    We really, really, really need Ejim and Phillips to live up to the hype.
    and not transfer after a year, or worse, ask to be released from their loi's



  8. #8
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad to Worse

    That's because today's kids are too lazy to even sign their name to a letter of intent. They'd rather borrow dear old Dad's Stutz Bearcat and go dance the Charleston than do their chores. I think Grandpa Pollard is right to want to bring the hickory switch to these young whipper-snappers.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 209,011, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,364
    Points
    209,011
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 378

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Really would like to get Mills at this point.

    We really, really, really need Ejim and Phillips to live up to the hype.
    Living up to message board hype has not exactly worked out well over the past few years.


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 120,386, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,188
    Points
    120,386
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    With Wilkins, Clark, Osoneiks, & now Clyburn off the table, I am not seeing anyone that is currently on the radar that has the potential to help right next year. Mills may be a good pick up, but the value from him is 2-3 years from now. Bo Barnes is a great shooter, but brings less all around game than who we have now in that role.

    I have been hoping that we could get a couple guys that surprise us with their contributions next year, but that is looking unlikely. With one of our key recruiters gone, and another coaching spot vacant, we are in a tough spot.

    I am one who while I like most of you had doubts (yeah I know thats an understatement) about if Gmac would be able to turn it around enough next year to give some hope and momentum, but I wanted that to happen. At the end of the day, we would be better off if things turned around quickly and Gmac started winning and players stayed, than if we had a coaching change. However, with the lack of success in spring recruiting I don't see how that is going to happen next year.

    No good answers here on 4/20
    I think the emboldened statement would have been apropos about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, heading into year five you just can't have the history that GM does in his first 4 years and expect it to magically change.

    At this point he can't sell the hope of a new sheriff in town in any serious way and our competitors for recruits are quite likely either passively or actively highlighting both his history at ISU as well as his probable future (which is likely short).

    As another poster in another thread put it so well...this is why guys with the record and history GM has put up at ISU get fired.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 51,416, Level: 70
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,134
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,835
    Points
    51,416
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Hey, guess what...This conversation has been had 23 different times in the past 2 weeks...

    Everyone gets it...The sky is falling...tomorrow is taking the day off and the world as we know it will cease.


    Get over it. GMAC is here for next year. They are recruiting but its got to be a hard sell. I have confidence that we will sign at least 2 more players this year. Will they be world beaters...no, but if they can give 5-10 serviceable minutes next year, then I will be happy.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 38,903, Level: 60
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    acrozier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In van down by the river!
    Posts
    2,609
    Points
    38,903
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 1

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Living up to message board hype has not exactly worked out well over the past few years.
    That's because most people on here look at dunks and athletic ability as the two biggest factors of success at the D1 level. They don't look at shooting, strength, ball handling, etc....



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 429,744, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,423
    Points
    429,744
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,362
    Given: 1,013

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post
    Wait, we'e out on Wilkins now? What happened there? I thought that he was down to us and IU and he wasn't crazy about IU.

    His Dad said No ISU or so the rumors indicated a couple of days ago. He is looking around. Iowa may pop up.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 224,802, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18,409
    Points
    224,802
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,200
    Given: 804

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by HHWalters View Post
    That's because today's kids are too lazy to even sign their name to a letter of intent. They'd rather borrow dear old Dad's Stutz Bearcat and go dance the Charleston than do their chores. I think Grandpa Pollard is right to want to bring the hickory switch to these young whipper-snappers.
    Classic!



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 16,126, Level: 38
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ce1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    965
    Points
    16,126
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 51

    Re: Bad to Worse

    Quote Originally Posted by HHWalters View Post
    That's because today's kids are too lazy to even sign their name to a letter of intent. They'd rather borrow dear old Dad's Stutz Bearcat and go dance the Charleston than do their chores. I think Grandpa Pollard is right to want to bring the hickory switch to these young whipper-snappers.
    We need a hall of fame for best posts. This has got to be top 10.


    "It's just another gym" -- Jamaal Tinsley, on playing at Phog Allen Fieldhouse

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM