SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What if it was you?

Written by Chris B.
    contact Chris at chrisb@cyclonefanatic.com

What if it was you? What if you decided that for tonight you would go and hit the town with some friends. You would probably start off in your room tipping back a few drinks while watching Clerks on your 13” Sanyo T.V. that sits atop your hotel sized fridge. You begin calling your friends trying to decide exactly how you’re going to spend your uneventful evening so that you’re not stuck just wasting away another Saturday night in the city of Ames. You finally get a hold of one of your best friends and meet up with them at your local convenient store to stock up on the essentials, and replenish many of the other necessities. Unfortunately for whatever reason that is irrelevant, you took it upon yourself to commit a crime or unlawful act that could land serious consequences if found guilty. You already made the choice, and got caught doing it, so what happens now?

Read more

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 10

Re: What if it was you?

You learn from your mistakes, man up to what you did and don't act stupid in the future. We all make mistakes, but 2, 3, more times? At some point you have to grow up, realize the gift you are being given, and act like an adult. I wish I had the oppurtunity to go to school for free and play a game in front of thousands of cheering fans...But I didn't I had to work my *** off in one of the hardest disciplines at ISU. So I have no sympathy for athletes.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

I can see where you're coming from with the work analogy, but student athletes are on a much more public level than we are in our work places. One of us robbing a store may not make a big deal, but when a manager does, it suddenly becomes a much bigger deal.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 184

The point is, it's not me. I'm smart enough to not find myself in those kinds of situations.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I can see where you're coming from with the work analogy, but student athletes are on a much more public level than we are in our work places. One of us robbing a store may not make a big deal, but when a manager does, it suddenly becomes a much bigger deal.
    I have to disagree with you on this. I can almost guarantee you that if any one of us was charged with a serious, public crime, there would be negative employment consequences -- even if you're an entry-level peon. I know someone who lost his job after getting charged with DUI. He was never convicted -- the charges were dropped -- but that didn't help him get his job back.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

..... is this about Pizza Pit Pizza.... cause I'm hungry

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCyclone View Post
    ..... is this about Pizza Pit Pizza.... cause I'm hungry
    I have no idea where you pulled the Pizza Pit reference from, but you just made me hungry too.... dammit.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I had to work my *** off in one of the hardest disciplines at ISU. So I have no sympathy for athletes.
    I hear ya Brianhos. Although my major may not be considered one of the "hardest disciplines" at ISU, it does have me busting my balls. I don't know too many other students that have to travel to the Des Moines area twice a week for 3 semesters just to graduate for a class. Also, lesson plans are a pain in the butt.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post

To me it seems that my actions outside of work have no relation to the job I do at work, and maybe the same should go to college athletics. Our athletes are people too just as you and me. Their actions might not be accepted and their personalities could clash with others, but they keep up their grades as students should and perform well on their teams. Possibly the view should be as long as they do what is necessary to maintain academic eligibility at the university, and perform well to contribute to the team, their status as a student-athlete should stay untouched for the time being.
    I have to disagree also. I made two mistakes while I was in school... much less severe than those of our athletes. No theft or vandalism was involved, simply drinking while underage. I was placed on probation by the Dean of Students and was told a third strike would result in being dismissed from ISU.

As far as the workplace is concerned this is also not the case. Depending on the company, regular background checks are done. In my case, if a DUI shows up I would be searching for another job. No questions asked.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Arrow Re: What if it was you?

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    As far as the workplace is concerned this is also not the case. Depending on the company, regular background checks are done. In my case, if a DUI shows up I would be searching for another job. No questions asked.
    I agree. Scholarship athletes are in effect "contract employees" of the university working under one-year renewable contracts. In return for school, room & board, medical care, etc., these guys are expected to complete certain academic goals and abide by the University Code of Conduct.

I'm a field employee of a Fortune 500 company and I do not have a company car. Yet I know they run my MVR (motor vehicle report) every six months and I have a document that defines an acceptable MVR. If I get an alcohol-related moving violation, I'm terminated!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    I have to disagree also. I made two mistakes while I was in school... much less severe than those of our athletes. No theft or vandalism was involved, simply drinking while underage. I was placed on probation by the Dean of Students and was told a third strike would result in being dismissed from ISU.
    I got one underage and got the same BS about how another one could result in me being kicked out of the University. I wish I had realized what a load of crap that was so I could have told that biach off at the time. They aren't going to kick anyone out of the university for petty crimes the max penalty for which is a fine.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Im glad this has sparked interest and civil debate. I have been thinking of this point of view for some time now and wanted to express it to others.

Now, knowing that not every company is the same, I know of individuals throughout my life who have been committed of an offense, but did not lose their job. In fact, it had no affect on their current job. Now, some of these people might have a harder time trying to find a new job, but that is only speculation for a future event that hasn't happened yet.

I also laugh at the situation discussed above with jtd9046. I do not laugh at you directly, but how you go and spend the thousands of dollars of your own money to get an eduacation there to only have them turn around and tell you to "behave" or you will be stripped of it. Do these actions really affect the university? Are you not fullfilling the role as student by maintaining the grades necessary to stay enrolled? You may not be the stero-typical honor student, so why should you have to live up to that.

This is why? It seems, even as an unoticed citizen of the U.S., that everything brought forth to me such as a job, income, education, and a family, are all priviledges. Starting as a kid, you are rewarded to higher eduaction as long as you study and "behave" to the standards of the school and your family. From there you can always continue towards college degrees and doctorage programs as long as the studies are fullfilled and you represent the university as a model student and civilized citizen. This only continues as you progress through life with a family, and future careers. All things seem to be priviledges to the exemplary actions that you have shown throughout your life. Of course, this doesn't always seem to apply to everyone; it does seem to be a map of a success to life.

So these atletes from highschool to pro, need to ackowledge this priviledge. Their actions may or may not have an impact upon the university per se, but the consequences could very well strip them of what was given to them. Should they be given more than one chance, maybe, but it doesn't seem to be required.

Last edited by guitarchitect7; 04-22-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

Written by me.
    Contact me at here.

A crime is a crime. Period.

Athletics is a privilege, not a right.

And, a fair amount of corporations have verbiage in their employee handbooks that talks about representing the company in an appropriate way - both at work and elsewhere.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 04-22-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Athletics is a right, not a privilege.
    You got that backwards, or are you making some sort of ironic point that I dont quite get?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by HOTDON View Post
    You got that backwards, or are you making some sort of ironic point that I dont quite get?
    Got it backwards, thx.