Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 9

Money Talks - Response

Long time lurker, rare poster.

I really hate to start another thread on this topic since I think it's borderline the death of this site, but I'm going to do it anyway (yeah I know I suck).

Lately there are a lot of posts saying Money Talks I'm not buying season tickets anymore. This problems with this theory are well documented in the threads 1) it makes you a fairweather fan 2) you are making the financial situation worse etc etc. One problem I haven't seen discussed as much is that 3) It likely isn't going to do any good. Pollard likely anticipates that season ticket sales are going to be really poor next year, but he still made the decision to keep GM.

So I offer an alternative money talks proposal. First continue to buy tickets and support the team. Show Pollard that we are Cyclone Nation and we deserve better results. (This should be a minimum for any fan). Second to really make your money talk all the "money talk" people should get together and start an escrow account and start putting your money into that account. E-mail/write/call Jamie Pollard and tell him the money in the account will be sent immediately to the ISU athletic department the moment Greg McDermott is terminated. Keep him updated with a running tally. I can think of no better way to make your money talk. I'm sure once the account reaches well into the 7 figure range JP will have no option but to listen. Your money will truly talk then.

Until then can we stop the lets not buy season tickets to make JP pay posts? If you want to make your money talk step up and make your money talk.

(Disclaimer - I'm no McDermott supporter and as much as I'd like him to succeed I really don't see it happening and would love to see a change. At the same time I understand the financial challenge. I'm also am not willing to step up to my own challenge and assume most others aren't either. If someone takes the idea and successfully applies it more power to them.)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 125

Re: Money Talks - Response

Send all the money to me and I'll keep it safe in the mean time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 330
    Given: 63

Very level headed post, kudos to you.

Prospect
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I'm going to buy my basketball tickets again next year. I'm a cyclone, and I have to see first hand how it goes down; good or bad. That is how I form my opinions. Plus, I just enjoy getting back to Ames. It is my second home.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by GrindingAway View Post

So I offer an alternative money talks proposal. First continue to buy tickets and support the team. Show Pollard that we are Cyclone Nation and we deserve better results. (This should be a minimum for any fan). Second to really make your money talk all the "money talk" people should get together and start an escrow account and start putting your money into that account. E-mail/write/call Jamie Pollard and tell him the money in the account will be sent immediately to the ISU athletic department the moment Greg McDermott is terminated. Keep him updated with a running tally. I can think of no better way to make your money talk.
    I think this is a bad idea. It is in effect trying to tell Pollard how to do his job.
    I'm not renewing men's bb season tix, but am renewing them in fb, women's bb, volleyball, and wrestling. Maintaining my NCC donation; hope to increase it.
    All I will do as a spectator and fan is respond to a program's progress or lack thereof with my ticket-buying decision, not hold additional $$ over the AD's head...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Running a university athletic department is the same as running a division/group of a major corporation. The CEO of the corporation, President Geoffroy in ISU’s case, is going to judge whether Pollard is doing his job based on the body of work. This means all athletics and operating within his entire budget; not just measured on wins and losses. Wins are important and this is why the Directors' Cup competition results are sent out by the AD, but again only part of the equation. MBB revenue is important but not as important as football. MBB just needs to break even at this point.

I agree with GrindingAway, a few hundred season tickets not being renewed for MBB is not going to move the needle. Most of the posters who want Pollard gone are letting their emotions get the better of them. Yes, the MBB is struggling. Many companies have struggling business units. If Pollard didn’t come out and say he agreed there was a problem and he was going to fix it “one way or the other, we will get basketball fixed”, I would be worried the athletic department was under the wrong leadership. It is going to take more money than any Fanatic is willing to donate to get a new MBB coach. Support the student athletes who are doing it the right way. They made a decision to accept compensation to play a game while earning an education. It has taken most a life-time of sacrifices to have the skills necessary to perform at a Division I level.

A side note, I agree the many posters and Pollard that “how that generation is going to survive in the real world when mom or dad or AAU coach are not there for them during their first job interview or first job evaluation.” I see this every time I hire. Recent college grads, with no job experience, coming in and wanting top dollar because they were told the position should pay at least this amount. They have never done the job nor want to stay long enough. Ask this generation how many jobs they will have over the next five years, the answer may surprise you.

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

If you do not buy tickets to mens basketball that is fine, I understand why you wouldn't but please redirect that money to football who needs the money much worse. We basically do not have a basketball program anymore.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I think this is a bad idea. It is in effect trying to tell Pollard how to do his job.
    I'm not renewing men's bb season tix, but am renewing them in fb, women's bb, volleyball, and wrestling. Maintaining my NCC donation; hope to increase it.
    All I will do as a spectator and fan is respond to a program's progress or lack thereof with my ticket-buying decision, not hold additional $$ over the AD's head...
    You realize that's what the OP is saying . . . You're withholding $$ by not buying season tickets. The OP is just saying -- instead of completely withholding that money (as you're doing), stick it somewhere and give it to the department when the program improves to your liking. You're not holding *additional* money -- it's just the money that you're already withholding. If that makes sense.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm just reminded of some movie (I don't remember what movie) where there's a big corporate shareholder meeting (thousands? of attendees). Someone gets up and give a passionate speech against some perceived bad proposal from the board of directors or something (probably something environmental). The entire crowd gets all passionate and riotous and they all vote no to this proposal, and then start celebrating.

The part that I remember best, however, is when this unassuming man steps up to the microphone and asks politely to be heard. He says (paraphrased):

"My name is <I don't remember his name>. In my hands I'm holding the proxy rights to 51% of the shareholder voters, and I vote yes."

More rioting -- the motion passes etc. etc. etc.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by TedKumsher View Post
    I'm just reminded of some movie (I don't remember what movie) where there's a big corporate shareholder meeting (thousands? of attendees). Someone gets up and give a passionate speech against some perceived bad proposal from the board of directors or something (probably something environmental). The entire crowd gets all passionate and riotous and they all vote no to this proposal, and then start celebrating.

The part that I remember best, however, is when this unassuming man steps up to the microphone and asks politely to be heard. He says (paraphrased):

"My name is <I don't remember his name>. In my hands I'm holding the proxy rights to 51% of the shareholder voters, and I vote yes."

More rioting -- the motion passes etc. etc. etc.
    Mr. Deeds?

then it turns out the butler with the foot fetish is actually the owner of the 51%, so the motion gets denied?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

Here is my solution at this point, and how it will play out for me personally. I will be buying tickets and maintaining my donation for next year. I understand Pollard's reasoning for retaining Mac even if I wholeheartedly disagree with it. (The 6% rule as has been previously discussed).

HOWEVER, I will be reevaluating my stance after next year. If we have the kind of season I expect (10-15 total wins, 4-12 in the Big 12, something like that) and Mac is retained then I will NOT be purchasing MBB season tickets and yanking my NCC donation down to the minimum required to maintain my football tickets.

I will then use that money that was previously contributed to the NCC and used to purchase MBB season tickets to donate to the Gridiron club. Following the "6%" stance from Pollard and retaining Mac under those circumstances would essentially tell me the only sport that matters in the least is Football. So I would direct as much money as I could toward the only sport that matters.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by azn4cy View Post
    Mr. Deeds?

then it turns out the butler with the foot fetish is actually the owner of the 51%, so the motion gets denied?
    Well, I thought it was a movie I watched back in the 80's or early 90's. But maybe.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by pdxclone View Post
    A side note, I agree the many posters and Pollard that “how that generation is going to survive in the real world when mom or dad or AAU coach are not there for them during their first job interview or first job evaluation.” I see this every time I hire. Recent college grads, with no job experience, coming in and wanting top dollar because they were told the position should pay at least this amount. They have never done the job nor want to stay long enough. Ask this generation how many jobs they will have over the next five years, the answer may surprise you.
    I agree with the main body of your post, but why even bring this section into the equation? What's wrong with asking for the industry standard salary? Students today are knowledgeable and savvy with this kind of thing, we know what average salary for college grads is and we will be offended if you offer us significantly less without a good reason. For example, I graduated last May and was doing a job hunt. Average starting salary for my major (Civil Engineering) was $50,000 for a college graduate. One company was offering $29,000. Don't tell me that you'll just accept that and move on. Even if a company offers say $45,000, you will try to improve if you can but will understand if they are unwilling to offer more. It's accepted practice that you should try to negotiate the best salary that you can. That said, yes there are people who get carried away thinking they are owed too much and yes I am bothered a bit by the way people tend to move around so frequently these days.

The point is though, times are changing. Some companies are great and worth sticking around for several years. Some aren't. Your employer pays you money to do a job, they aren't your friend and they aren't your family, you have no obligations aside from any contract you have signed. If they are your friend, then you will probably stick around.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 17

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

Quote Originally Posted by pdxclone View Post
    When I got my first job out of college it was my intention to stay working for the same company for a long time. However the job sucked and the management was terrible. I work for a different company now and they encourage young workers to change positions fairly frequently to get a wide range of skills and knowledge of the different business units. Nothing wrong with it IMO.