Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Motorola Droid

I have been a BB user for years...remember the ones that had a little wheel on the side for scrolling...yuck. Anyway, I have a Tour 9630 for work but recently bought the Motorola Droid for private use and to try something new.

When researching the phone the only negative I could truely find was the comments on a short life with the battery. Well, I have a small application that controls what is running in the background and the battery life is not a problem whatsoever. Does it last as long as my BB, I don't really think so, however, very acceptable and just charge nightly. In addition, the Droid has a plethora of free applications that are very cool, functional and useful. The free GPS with vocal and visual commands is terrific as well as several other applications. The external key board and onscreen keyboard both work very well and are nice to have for an option.

Anyway, thought I would throw out my review in case anyone is considering a new phone. By the way, the Verizon corporate store near Merle Hay were terrific and downloaded several applicable applications during my purchase and provided other services. My rep was Hollie and was very helpful in saving $ on bundles too.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,002
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Motorola Droid

I'm thinking about getting one of these. My contracts up and I'm due for an upgrade, would you recommend it just as a personal phone? What kind of apps did they hook you up with?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

Once it gets flash, it will be damned near perfect.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

I just got it. It is awesome, only complaint would be the battery.

Rookie
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

newest droid is coming out in two weeks, called the droid incredible...here's a link

HTC Incredible?

doesn't have the slide out keyboard like the motorola droid, looks to be competition for the iphone though.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 237

I've had it since the day it came out...GREAT phone. No complaints.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualforce View Post
    newest droid is coming out in two weeks, called the droid incredible...here's a link

HTC Incredible?

doesn't have the slide out keyboard like the motorola droid, looks to be competition for the iphone though.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what that one's like... My Sprint contract is up this summer and I plan to smash my Instinct with a hammer and go back to Verizon. Probably either Moto Droid or the HTC. Of course, the last Motorola phone I had sucked and I also smashed it when I was done with it. I guess we'll see what kind of reviews the HTC gets.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I only have a couple of minor complaints, after having this phone for a couple of months. One is on the video, and the inability to record in darker or brighter situations. Not that it comes up often. There may be a solution, but I'm not sure.

I really don't have much of a problem with the battery life. Whenever I do anything, I kill all applications when I'm done, and I manually check for email. I've had a smartphone previously (moto q) and it's the same in if you are browsing/facebooking/texting a lot, it willburn through the battery more quickly. But I charge it every night to be safe.

That brings me to my other issue. The alarm does not work when it's charging. Again, pretty minor and easy to get arounf. I love the phone and glad I got it!

In Fred, we trust!! Go Cyclones!

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77

My alarm works when charging....

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    I'm thinking about getting one of these. My contracts up and I'm due for an upgrade, would you recommend it just as a personal phone? What kind of apps did they hook you up with?
    Primarily, the phone comes with several applications. However, I believe the GPS and Application Killer was added for me. However, it comes with a nice calc, she created a Gmail account for my phone and I hooked up my crappy home e-mail MSN account as a short cut(I am getting rid of MSN hot mail, however, should be easy to link to new home gmail account), I have CF as a short cut, camera, calendar, barcode reader, voice dial, Password safe, tethering devise to hook up to my laptop..Free again, and a couple of games. I am told there are thousands of apps. I am just getting started, but it is a terrific phone so far.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

My husband has had the droid since it came out and recently he's been having a lot of trouble with calls being dropped and calls cutting out. It's worse at his work than it is at home, but it's still bad at home. I use the same carrier, with a non-smart-phone and I've never had any troubles with dropped calls - and the only time my calls cut out is when I'm talking to him. He would love a new phone, but can't find anything that he likes as much as the Droid - so we just put up with dropped calls.

Throwing seven different kinds of smoke!

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 14

HTC Incredible?

I have an HTC Eris and love it but I will be switching to this as soon as my contract is up. Faster processor, better screen, no track ball (different anyway). Initial reviews sound really good too.

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    I have an HTC Eris and love it but I will be switching to this as soon as my contract is up. Faster processor, better screen, no track ball (different anyway). Initial reviews sound really good too.

Mine runs fast enough (most lag is because of Verz poor 3g, runs awesome on wireless networks), love the screen, never use the track ball, love the compact size. My only complaint is it does not have google navigator until it upgrades to OS 2.1, get on it Verizon!

Still thinking of something....
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by CyGal View Post
    My husband has had the droid since it came out and recently he's been having a lot of trouble with calls being dropped and calls cutting out. It's worse at his work than it is at home, but it's still bad at home. I use the same carrier, with a non-smart-phone and I've never had any troubles with dropped calls - and the only time my calls cut out is when I'm talking to him. He would love a new phone, but can't find anything that he likes as much as the Droid - so we just put up with dropped calls.
    Interesting you say that. I (and my family) have been with US Cellular for nearly 10 years. The Tuesday before Easter, we all switched to Verizon and all got the Droid. I haven't had a single problem with the phone in Cedar Rapids, however, my mom and aunt (Both in Boone) are having calls dropped left and right. I'm yet to talk to my mom on the phone without the call being dropped.

As for the phone, I've loved it the two weeks that i've had it. Soooooooo many applications to download for free it isn't even funny. My dad has had it ever since it came out and has had no issues with it. He was previously a palm pre and blackberry storm user and says this is 1,000 times better than either of those.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

HTC Incredible?

Don't confuze Droid the phone and Android the OS. The Incredible is an awesome looking Android based phone that is pretty similar to the Nexus One that Verizon was supposed to have by now Both are newer/faster/"better" Android devices than the Droid. Both run the excellent new Snapdragon processor.

Only reason I say anything is that an actual Droid 2 is due out in the summer/fall.

Sidebar: the Nexus One runs it's Snapdragon processor up to 1GHz speeds. The first computer I bought was a Gateway PIII processor running less than half that speed. Amazing.