Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

Voepel on new Big 12 coaches

Interesting insight into Lappe and Pingeton.

New coaches, more thoughts Mechelle Voepel

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Re: Voepel on new Big 12 coaches

Indeed.

I don't think Robin meant bad - I believe she wanted to emphasize that she and her staffs are good and caring people that players in the program will be treated not just as "athletes" but will be treated as family members too. But I can see that this can cause some people to cringe.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 30

No, Pingeton is saying that she is not a lesbian. Let's get real. And she was mentored in this strategy while on the staff at ISU, as Fennelly plays up the family "angle" heavily with recruits.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Visiting the new crew at MU Mechelle Voepel

I went to Columbia, Mo., yesterday to chat with Robin Pingeton, and yes, we did talk about the various issues that have been discussed on this blog. Will have a lot more on that that just a little later.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 12

I took Voepel's column as sort of a warning shot across Robin's bow to "cool" the Christian stuff.

I come down on Robin's side.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know if it was a warning shot, but Mizzou is special to Voepel, and she saw first hand how being too over the top and forceful about Christianity with players can get a team/school/coach into hot water ala Deb Patterson. Lesbian coaches and athletes in WBB were once left alone are now feeling under a microscope just like male coaches are. Right now, the hot ticket item is a straight female coach.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    I don't know if it was a warning shot, but Mizzou is special to Voepel, and she saw first hand how being too over the top and forceful about Christianity with players can get a team/school/coach into hot water ala Deb Patterson. Lesbian coaches and athletes in WBB were once left alone are now feeling under a microscope just like male coaches are. Right now, the hot ticket item is a straight female coach.
    Pingeton's comments were aimed at recruits - that families can feel "safe" with their daughters in her program. Really, no different than what many coaches and their staffs do on the recruiting trails. That includes BF.
    Robin's message is really no different than what Rene Portland was saying. Yet Portland was roundly criticized for it...including on here.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Pingeton's comments were aimed at recruits - that families can feel "safe" with their daughters in her program. Really, no different than what many coaches and their staffs do on the recruiting trails. That includes BF.
    Robin's message is really no different than what Rene Portland was saying. Yet Portland was roundly criticized for it...including on here.
    Portland deserves absolutely NO respect in my book. Dismissing players for being lesbians is discrimination.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Portland deserves absolutely NO respect in my book. Dismissing players for being lesbians is discrimination.
    Agree, Redbird; to imply that female athletes are at greater risk with lesbian coaches than they would be with, say, straight male coaches suggests strongly that homosexual adults in positions of power over younger people are more predatory than straights. I know of no evidence that this is true after nearly forty years of working around various universities.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 10

Hard to read that blog and take Mechelle serious.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,467
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    Agree, Redbird; to imply that female athletes are at greater risk with lesbian coaches than they would be with, say, straight male coaches suggests strongly that homosexual adults in positions of power over younger people are more predatory than straights. I know of no evidence that this is true after nearly forty years of working around various universities.
    I think what happened at LSU is the cause of the perception, fair or not.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

So was Voepel saying Cindy Stein is not straight?

Sorry, but I watch basketball for the sport, and I truly have no clue whether she is or isn't.

If coaches or players want to proclaim their faith or sexual preference, more power to them, if they don't same thing. Either way, as long as they aren't mandating it from their players at a publicly funded university, its no big deal. If their choice affects their ability to recruit, that is their problem, and the AD can decide if its worth it.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I don't know what working around universities means, but being on the grounds crew doesn't seem to make you an expert.

I have a friend who was forced to quit playing in college because she couldn't handle the unwanted sexual advances of other players on the team. Went to the school for a curriculum, didn't want to transfer. When the coach was confronted, she wouldn't do anything because she was gay. A lesbian coach will nearly always foster that environment. They don't see anything wrong with it. Someone straight is going to have serious issues with being put into those circumstances. You're not going to feel safe. And that should be their right, not everybody has to bow at the altar of political correctness and reject their morality. Not everybody has the opinion that morality is what populism says it is, but that side has framed the debate. If you disagree you're a religious zealot or homophobe. It's a joke, they just don't want any debate about it. I'm glad it does get talked about. It's a big issue in women's college sports.

Want to talk about the "safe school czar", Kevin Jennings? He's got major issues. Huge position of power and policy, and he openly advocates sexual relationships between minors and adults. Is that safe?

Let's see, there's the whole Catholic church debate, where homosexuals in positions of power and authority continue to embarrass and cost the church millions.

The discussion was about coaches and basketball, but that is just a microcosm of our institutions and society. If you don't see administrative homosexuals pushing an acceptance of their lifestyle, you ought to wake up.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    I don't know what working around universities means, but being on the grounds crew doesn't seem to make you an expert.

I have a friend who was forced to quit playing in college because she couldn't handle the unwanted sexual advances of other players on the team. Went to the school for a curriculum, didn't want to transfer. When the coach was confronted, she wouldn't do anything because she was gay. A lesbian coach will nearly always foster that environment. They don't see anything wrong with it. Someone straight is going to have serious issues with being put into those circumstances. You're not going to feel safe. And that should be their right, not everybody has to bow at the altar of political correctness and reject their morality. Not everybody has the opinion that morality is what populism says it is, but that side has framed the debate. If you disagree you're a religious zealot or homophobe. It's a joke, they just don't want any debate about it. I'm glad it does get talked about. It's a big issue in women's college sports.

Want to talk about the "safe school czar", Kevin Jennings? He's got major issues. Huge position of power and policy, and he openly advocates sexual relationships between minors and adults. Is that safe?

Let's see, there's the whole Catholic church debate, where homosexuals in positions of power and authority continue to embarrass and cost the church millions.

The discussion was about coaches and basketball, but that is just a microcosm of our institutions and society. If you don't see administrative homosexuals pushing an acceptance of their lifestyle, you ought to wake up.
    Comparing lesbian coaches/players to the pedophiles of the Catholic Church is quite a stretch. I can't seem to recall any incidents other than the LSU one, and ahem, not that it matters, but it was a relationship with a previous adult player, not a current one. I am no one think it was professional nor condone it, but that is a lot different than molesting and raping children.

To your point about the player you know, I say first, that if it indeed happen than it is sexual harassment and should not be tolerated. And I am sorry she had that experience. However, there are always 2 sides to a story, and as a supervisor I have had people complain to me that another staff member is sexually harassing them because they indicate they are gay, or talk about their partner. This is no different than heterosexual people talking about their spouses. If this individual was indeed the subject of unwarranted sexual talk or advances, and the coach did not respond, she should have taken it to the administration so other individuals would not have experienced this.

And to your point about administration advancing populist homosexual agenda, what is occurring in this situation and discussion is exactly the opposite. It is much like how white men are actively discriminated against in the job market right now, couched in the guise of affirmative action. Companies feel much safer having a woman or minority as a supervisor as there is much less risk of legal liability for accusations of sexual harassment or discrimination, I know first hand how this works. Neither is fair, or right.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    I agree with this, and go further - I hear lots of stories and parents' accounts of the goings-on in the high school sports culture. Based on those, female athletes are at much greater "risk" with straight male coaches than female lesbian coaches. The male coaches who are confronted, fired, and charged with a crime are the tip of the iceberg...